Please help me with Map Versions   

Please help me with Map Versions

Postby rhvbm » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:10 am

So I'm a newb but have been doing a lot of reading in the forums the last little while and feel I have a pretty good grasp on how this all works and am ready to take the plunge. But one thing I wasn't able to find much info on was the following:

My device/navcore appears to support a number of different map versions. For example 860.3126, 860.3127 and 860.3128. They're all roughly the same size and will fit on my device. So my question is, which one do I pick?! Is the higher the number the newer / better? I'm stumped.
rhvbm offline

Postby andrewsfm » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:26 am

Also trying to understand map versions. Does a higher number mean more up to date? Or do the last 4 digits indicate compatibility?
andrewsfm offline

Postby tendriver » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:26 am

rhvbm wrote:So I'm a newb but have been doing a lot of reading in the forums the last little while and feel I have a pretty good grasp on how this all works and am ready to take the plunge. But one thing I wasn't able to find much info on was the following:

My device/navcore appears to support a number of different map versions. For example 860.3126, 860.3127 and 860.3128. They're all roughly the same size and will fit on my device. So my question is, which one do I pick?! Is the higher the number the newer / better? I'm stumped.

What model TT, navcore & map do you currently have? What map do you want? We are good, but we can't read minds.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby andrewsfm » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:30 am

Not sure about the original poster, but I've got a GO930 (64MB/4G) and want North America.
Wanting to keep TTS, ALG, IQ routes, etc.
Device is wiped clean. Want to load newest navcore and map.
andrewsfm offline

Postby tendriver » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:40 am

andrewsfm wrote:Also trying to understand map versions. Does a higher number mean more up to date? Or do the last 4 digits indicate compatibility?

The first 3 #s are the edition #. The last 4 are the version of that edition. There is a compatibility chart in post 1 of the 860 map thread.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby tendriver » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:49 am

andrewsfm wrote:Not sure about the original poster, but I've got a GO930 (64MB/4G) and want North America.
Wanting to keep TTS, ALG, IQ routes, etc.
Device is wiped clean. Want to load newest navcore and map.

This is a test. Go to All New Maps 860.XXXX post 1. Check the chart. See if you can pick the correct map. I sure wish you hadn't wiped your 930!! Did you make a backup first?
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby andrewsfm » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:54 am

I am in the process of restoring it from my backup now.
I didn't realize that all maps starting with 860.xxxx are the latest version, and the last 4 are just compatibility.
I thought I needed the latest navcore for the latest maps.
In the process of downloading the 860.3101 for the original navcore.
andrewsfm offline

Postby tendriver » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:27 am

andrewsfm wrote:1. I am in the process of restoring it from my backup now.
2. I didn't realize that all maps starting with 860.xxxx are the latest version, and the last 4 are just compatibility.
3. I thought I needed the latest navcore for the latest maps.
4. In the process of downloading the 860.3101 for the original navcore.

1. Good plan. Restore the navcore only. You don't need the old map folder.
2. All maps starting with 860.xxxx are the latest edition. The last 4 indicates the version.
3. Nope.
4. Well done. You got it right.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby andrewsfm » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:12 am

Thanks for the quick replies. Hopefully the original poster can get some info from this too.
andrewsfm offline

Postby tendriver » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:23 am

andrewsfm wrote:Thanks for the quick replies. Hopefully the original poster can get some info from this too.

You gonna use NC 8.351?
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby andrewsfm » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:28 am

Yes, 8.351 is what I have for App version and the existing map is 815.2019 but what advantage (if any) will I get from moving up to navcore 9?
andrewsfm offline

Postby rhvbm » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:56 pm

tendriver wrote:What model TT, navcore & map do you currently have? What map do you want? We are good, but we can't read minds.

So to answer your question, I have a TomTom One, an older one, with an 8.010 navcore. It's hard to figure which "edition" the One is, several are listed on the compatibility chart, but going by the info there it would seem it's either a 3rd or 4th edition since the 8.010 navcore is listed as "official" for those 2 models. Sorry, I don't have the current map version handy, but it is the original one that came with the device when I bought it 2+ years ago. (USA & Canada) I know it's version 8.something.

I know you can't read minds. :-) But I think I already have a fairly good idea which maps are compatible with the 8.010 navcore based on the chart in the All New Maps 860.xxxx thread. My question was rather which one of the compatible maps should I use? Is the higher the revision number the newer the map data? ex. 860.3126 vs. 860.3128 I couldn't find any info on this.

It also begs the question, is it worth upgrading/replacing my navcore with a newer/patched SE version? I came across another chart in the forums which says the 8.410 navcore is "OK" for my device. Just wondering if I should go for it or patch my existing...

And a last question, hope you don't mind! Regarding the maps that come with the auto-installer option... Do I need any additional tools to patch my navcore or activate the map or anything? Or does it do everything for me?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
rhvbm offline

Postby tendriver » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:14 pm

rhvbm wrote:1. So to answer your question, I have a TomTom One, an older one, with an 8.010 navcore. It's hard to figure which "edition" the One is, several are listed on the compatibility chart, but going by the info there it would seem it's either a 3rd or 4th edition since the 8.010 navcore is listed as "official" for those 2 models. Sorry, I don't have the current map version handy, but it is the original one that came with the device when I bought it 2+ years ago. (USA & Canada) I know it's version 8.something.

2. I know you can't read minds. :-) But I think I already have a fairly good idea which maps are compatible with the 8.010 navcore based on the chart in the All New Maps 860.xxxx thread. My question was rather which one of the compatible maps should I use? Is the higher the revision number the newer the map data? ex. 860.3126 vs. 860.3128 I couldn't find any info on this.

3. It also begs the question, is it worth upgrading/replacing my navcore with a newer/patched SE version? I came across another chart in the forums which says the 8.410 navcore is "OK" for my device. Just wondering if I should go for it or patch my existing...

And a last question, hope you don't mind! Regarding the maps that come with the auto-installer option... Do I need any additional tools to patch my navcore or activate the map or anything? Or does it do everything for me?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

1. To know which TT One you have, go here: [Please Register or Login to download file]
USA & C is all I need to know.
2. 860 is the edition #. 3126, etc is the version #.

3. Depending on your memory size, Navcore 8.4XX may give you an additional map option or 2..

4. FastActivate is included & will do all necessary patching.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby rhvbm » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:27 pm

tendriver wrote:1. To know which TT One you have, go here: [Please Register or Login to download file]
USA & C is all I need to know.
2. 860 is the edition #. 3126, etc is the version #.

3. Depending on your memory size, Navcore 8.4XX may give you an additional map option or 2..

4. FastActivate is included & will do all necessary patching.

Thanks for all the info tendriver. This is very helpful. Just to close things off, re: item #2... I wanted to know the difference between versions. I realize the different numbers represent different versions, but I want to know if a higher number means a newer / better map. If I have several maps to choose from that are all compatible with my device, should I automatically go with the highest version number available?
rhvbm offline

Postby tendriver » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:04 pm

rhvbm wrote: 1. re: item #2... I wanted to know the difference between versions.
2. I realize the different numbers represent different versions, but I want to know if a higher number means a newer / better map.
3. If I have several maps to choose from that are all compatible with my device, should I automatically go with the highest version number available?

1. All versions of an edition come out at the same time. See post 1 in the 860 map thread for the differences.
2. No, see 1.
3. No, see 1. 860.3126, 860.3127 and 860.3128 are for different models, but they are actually the same.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Next

Return to General Discussions about TomTom