Patching Voices??   

Patching Voices??

Postby davecabezo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:30 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to get my voices folder to work with the patched maps on my GO 530. Each voice in the folder has 3 files,:- dataxx.bmp, dataxx.chk, dataxx.vif. I've looked around the site and tried different approaches to get them to work. Ive tried running FA from the root menu with ttgo and it patched the first folder within the voices folder but still no voices from the voices folder work. I also tried with FA and ttgo inside the voices folder and it still didn't work. Am I missing something here, in fact do the voice files need to be patched or is the problem elsewhere.

Regards,

Dave
davecabezo offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:33 pm

davecabezo wrote:Am I missing something here, in fact do the voice files need to be patched or is the problem elsewhere.

Only premium voices, that are normally bought, have to be patched.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby davecabezo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:02 pm

Thanks Tendriver,

So can you think of anything which would be stopping the Satnav from using the voices?

Dave
davecabezo offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:27 pm

davecabezo wrote:Thanks Tendriver,

So can you think of anything which would be stopping the Satnav from using the voices.

Dave

Doing a clean install. I always do an overwrite installation and patch with a SE ttsystem file. Haven't lost a voice yet.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby davecabezo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:55 pm

Now you've lost me. Doing a clean install? do you mean starting from scratch on the Satnav and SD cards? Patch with a SE ttsystem file. Is this the ttsystem file on the satnav as now?

It's taken me days to get where I am, ie I have 3 maps on SD cards and 1 on the satnav. Reason for the 3 maps being there is no way I can get the Europe 915-5074 map on my satnav. I don't want to take the chance of having to go through the whole process again. I asked the question if you knew of any reasons why the satnav wouldn't use the Voices folder but you haven't answered it. Just to suggest that I use a clean install and start from what I assume is scratch. I hope that is not the only alternative.

regards,

dave
davecabezo offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:34 pm

davecabezo wrote:1. I asked the question if you knew of any reasons why the satnav wouldn't use the Voices folder but you haven't answered it.
Just to suggest that I use a clean install and start from what I assume is scratch

1. Au contraire mon ami. I very plainly answered you question.
2. Now before you have a coronary, read your question & correctly read my answer, which you totally misread the first time!!!
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby davecabezo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:36 pm

Tendriver you are talking in riddles again. You clearly have not answered my question or reply viz:-Doing a clean install? do you mean starting from scratch on the Satnav and SD cards? Patch with a SE ttsystem file. Is this the ttsystem file on the satnav as now?

Why do you make things so difficult, I'm here for help not riddles. You know that to date I've had a problem getting Maps to work and eventually thanks to downunder he gave me some clear instructions of what to try. You have not answered my question from my last post and I repeat :_Doing a clean install? do you mean starting from scratch on the Satnav and SD cards? Patch with a SE ttsystem file. Is this the ttsystem file on the satnav as now?

Regards,

dave
davecabezo offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:28 am

davecabezo wrote:Tendriver you are talking in riddles again. You clearly have not answered my question or reply viz:-Doing a clean install? do you mean starting from scratch on the Satnav and SD cards? Patch with a SE ttsystem file. Is this the ttsystem file on the satnav as now?

Why do you make things so difficult, I'm here for help not riddles. You know that to date I've had a problem getting Maps to work and eventually thanks to downunder he gave me some clear instructions of what to try. You have not answered my question from my last post and I repeat :_Doing a clean install? do you mean starting from scratch on the Satnav and SD cards? Patch with a SE ttsystem file. Is this the ttsystem file on the satnav as now?

Regards,

dave

You have misread post 4 again!! Read your question. Now read my answer in the first sentence. The secord sentence explains how I update my unit & why I do it that way!!

I do not do riddles, nor do I make things so difficult!!!
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby davecabezo » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:53 am

Ok then,
Can you tell me how to do an overwrite installation, if I use files from a previous backup it's going to undo any patching etc. the same would apply would it not if I overwrite the ttsystem file with a file from a previous backu or am I off track again. If I'm not on the right track can you give me a more detailed explanation of how to do what your suggesting

Regards,

dave

PS I've taken on board what you've said elsewhere but I get quite frustrated when I feel I'm groping around in the dark.
davecabezo offline

Postby Downunder35m » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:11 am

Ok, procedure for dummies:
Put your working backup on the device,
overwrite all with the new Navcore,
overwrite the ttsystem with the correspondig SE ttsystem,
done.
No problems that way if you had a normal (patched) Navcore on your system.
All settings will remain including voices and favourites and all settings done over the menu.
Other option for a clean install is to simply put the new Navcore on the device, add the SE ttsystem and the folder "voices" and "LoquendoTTS" from a working backup.
I recommend the last option for devices with very limited storage capabilities only.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby davecabezo » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:29 am

Many Thanks Downunder,

Will give it a go

Regards,

Dave
davecabezo offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:46 pm

davecabezo wrote:PS I've taken on board what you've said elsewhere but I get quite frustrated when I feel I'm groping around in the dark.

I understand your frustration, but taking it out on the staff is not very wise!! There is an old adage, "Don't bite the hand, that feeds you"!!

I would not call 45 posts in 24 days groping around in the dark. It's more like not shining your light down the path, that we are trying to lead you on.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby davecabezo » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:32 pm

Tendriver,
I think the main problem is that your very conversant with the TomTom and you do assume that noobies like me know more than we do. I last patched my tomtom about 5 years ago and the forum that helped me is no longer existent, I am posting so much because mainly I can't follow some of the help/instructions that I'm being given. I feel you do need to treat us noobies as REAL novices when it comes to instructions. Some of the terms now used are totally different to 5 years ago, apart from that I'm now 5 years older!!. I've found the site very helpful as I've managed to update my maps & Navcore but if I can find the time/motivation I will try to give a newbies step by step advice on D/L and Patching etc based on my experience. Then perhaps encourage other Newbies to add their comments.

Regards,

dave
davecabezo offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:30 pm

davecabezo wrote:I think the main problem is that your very conversant with the TomTom and you do assume that noobies like me know more than we do. I last patched my tomtom about 5 years ago and the forum that helped me is no longer existent, I am posting so much because mainly I can't follow some of the help/instructions that I'm being given. I feel you do need to treat us noobies as REAL novices when it comes to instructions. Some of the terms now used are totally different to 5 years ago, apart from that I'm now 5 years older!!. I've found the site very helpful as I've managed to update my maps & Navcore but if I can find the time/motivation I will try to give a newbies step by step advice on D/L and Patching etc based on my experience. Then perhaps encourage other Newbies to add their comments.

You have got to be kidding!!
In you first thread TT Go 530/950 you were given detailed help & specific instructions, including how to overwrite, when doing a navcore update.

Then you moved over to the All New Maps 915.XXXX thread. There I gave you post after post of detailed help, including numerous screen shots, in an effort to solve your download issue. Multiple times I asked you to confirm steps you had taken, when our terminology was different. You even accused one of my teammates of being way out of line!!

Lastly, you opened this Patching Voices?? thread. You asked questions & I gave you answers, which you totally misread twice. In this thread, you have made unfounded accusations, including that I am not sensitive enuf to noob's needs.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Voices

Postby davecabezo » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:03 pm

Hi,
I'm having a minor problem re getting some voices to work on my TT530.
I have some celeb. voices, some work and some don't. All have the .bmp, chk & vif. They all worked before I upgrade but now only some of them work. It may be sad but the voice I want to work is "Joanna Lumley". I had a problem getting any of the voices to work but thanks to the help from Navitotal I got some of my batch of voices to work. I can't understand why some work and some don't as they all have the same files and worked previously. I thought perhaps a currupt file so I downloaded Joanna from a different source and still no go. I've tried patching the voices with FA and still no Joy.

Anyone any ideas Why.

Dave
davecabezo offline

Next

Return to General Discussions about TomTom