New owner and some observations and a question about "Depart   

New owner and some observations and a question about "Depart

Postby INv8r » Sun May 22, 2011 11:17 pm

Hey, had to pick up a new unit in a hurry to replace our Magellan which got half of the LCD crushed while on a trip. Only thing in our range at the Walmart (only option where we were) was the XL335SE. While it's been fun making icons and playing with settings, I've found a couple of things and was wondering if anyone else had similar experiences.
First, while we were headed up a winding forestry road the unit repeatedly lost our position. I mean WILDLY lost our position. Never happened with the Magellan, which had 3D positioning. This unit (the Tomtom) seems to only use 2D (no altitude), and if so I suspect it's why the GPS had such a hard time comared to the Magellan. Am I correct in thinking that this unit does not track 3D?
Second, I've noticed that the route planner never seems to trigger a "Depart" message from the premium voices, but always simply starts with a turn direction. Not a huge deal, but it would be cool to have the full "experience" from the premium voices. Is there some special trick to getting the unit to begin a trip with the 'Depart" message triggering:confused:
Overall, not a bad unit, but the maps of Canada are woefully incomplete compared to the Magellan maps. I live in a rural area and none of the forest service roads, and many smaller paved and unpaved roads are missing, but are present on our old unit, which is a little frustrating.
INv8r offline

Return to General Discussions about TomTom