NavCore 9.205.547817 Auto-Day/Night Feature?   

NavCore 9.205.547817 Auto-Day/Night Feature?

Postby lumkichi » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:44 am

It is a rather fuzzy memory for me, but I seem to remember that in the old NavCore 8.083 (9669/090817) the display would automatically switch to Night Colors at some time, and back to Day Colors during the day. Or am I dreaming?

How do you enable this feature in NavCore 9.205.547817? I couldn't find any related info in the forum... Is it just wishful thinking?:pray:

Thank you in advance.

~lum
lumkichi offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:53 am

lumkichi wrote:It is a rather fuzzy memory for me, but I seem to remember that in the old NavCore 8.083 (9669/090817) the display would automatically switch to Night Colors at some time, and back to Day Colors during the day. Or am I dreaming?

How do you enable this feature in NavCore 9.205.547817? I couldn't find any related info in the forum... Is it just wishful thinking?:pray:

Thank you in advance.

~lum

What TomTom model? Did you download 9.205 here: Latest Navcores
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby lumkichi » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:10 am

Ah sorry - I am sorry for the model number omission. I have a TomTom XL 330. I downloaded the AutoInstaller from this forum to upgrade to 9.205. "SE_Navcore.9.205.547817_32mb_devices.exe" since this is the only one I could install without confusion and problems...

I have a sneaky suspicion that this NavCore might not be recommended for my hardware? Would that explain why the OS seems to be "laggy" or "slow to respond," especially when entering addresses and street names? (it locks up for 10 seconds or more sometimes, when just typing in the CITY)
lumkichi offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:32 am

lumkichi wrote:Ah sorry - I am sorry for the model number omission. I have a TomTom XL 330. I downloaded the AutoInstaller from this forum to upgrade to 9.205. "SE_Navcore.9.205.547817_32mb_devices.exe" since this is the only one I could install without confusion and problems...

I have a sneaky suspicion that this NavCore might not be recommended for my hardware? Would that explain why the OS seems to be "laggy" or "slow to respond," especially when entering addresses and street names? (it locks up for 10 seconds or more sometimes, when just typing in the CITY)

The XL 330 has 32MB of RAM memory. The 9.205 that you installed is geared for that memory. Open the 330 with Windows Explorer. There should be a switchfiles.zip in it. Go here for a tutorial: Switchfiles for dummies
To answer your question, in switchfiles you will see references to model:x50 or x40. Set the model at x50 & auto day/night will function by time rather than a light sensor.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby lumkichi » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:12 pm

Thank you -- I must be really stupid because I didn't quite understand the switchfile for dummies bit. But I found references to x30 in three files, and changed them all to x50 (which didn't make the display autodim) then all to x40 which also had no glorious effect. The ONLY effect it had was I had to keep setting up my preferences and language and stuff, each time I make any changes (so I know I've got it installed correctly, at least).

I am now plagued by tip screens and stuff but still having to set the day/night manually. I did find where I could add this day/night to a quick menu or whatever; but it would have been nice (and I thought it was rather straightforward) to have it change by time. Anything else I can try?

The only thing I might not have done is to set in version.txt (ONE 30-Series, XL 30-Series, ONE XL, ONE 3rd Edition)
A:8010
B:9369

I will try this last bit and report back if it were successful or not.

Regards, ~lum
lumkichi offline

Postby Downunder35m » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:48 am

The 9.205 is for the Riderand as far as I know it has no light sensor and I think the 330 has none either.
In the correct emulation the Day/Night switching should work by the time.
If you still have problems you can try the program daylight from Joghurt.
The version.txt is only interesting for Home as it makes sure the correct Navcore version is seen by TT and not the version that is installed.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tendriver » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:58 am

lumkichi wrote:Thank you -- I must be really stupid because I didn't quite understand the switchfile for dummies bit. But I found references to x30 in three files, and changed them all to x50 (which didn't make the display autodim) then all to x40 which also had no glorious effect. The ONLY effect it had was I had to keep setting up my preferences and language and stuff, each time I make any changes (so I know I've got it installed correctly, at least).

I am now plagued by tip screens and stuff but still having to set the day/night manually. I did find where I could add this day/night to a quick menu or whatever; but it would have been nice (and I thought it was rather straightforward) to have it change by time. Anything else I can try?

The only thing I might not have done is to set in version.txt (ONE 30-Series, XL 30-Series, ONE XL, ONE 3rd Edition)
A:8010
B:9369

I will try this last bit and report back if it were successful or not.

Regards, ~lum

What are the 3 files where you found references to x30?
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Macca-009 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:52 pm

An 'aside' on this topic for your info - I use the day/night switch via the photocell/sensor on the 510 with this Navcore without any issues at all. It can be set/unset from the "Brightrness Preferences" in "Change Prefs" menu as can the "Show Tips" from the 2nd page of the "Advanced Prefs" menu - if you're "[color="red"]being plagued by Tip Screens[/color]" then you really need to go through the setup menus a little more thoroughly!! It is of course, also possible for me to change to Day View or Night View by using the Command & Control options or to vary the brightness up/down in the same way (as mentioned earlier in the thread I think).

Macca
GO930's with Voice Control
Maps: UK, EU & NA + Cameras (with ogg files)
Macca-009 offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby tendriver » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:38 am

Macca-009 wrote:An 'aside' on this topic for your info - I use the day/night switch via the photocell/sensor on the 510 with this Navcore without any issues at all. It can be set/unset from the "Brightrness Preferences" in "Change Prefs" menu as can the "Show Tips" from the 2nd page of the "Advanced Prefs" menu - if you're "being plagued by Tip Screens" then you really need to go through the setup menus a little more thoroughly!! It is of course, also possible for me to change to Day View or Night View by using the Command & Control options or to vary the brightness up/down in the same way (as mentioned earlier in the thread I think).

Macca

All of this good info is not very useful, without knowing what emu your 510 is set for.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Macca-009 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:30 pm

tendriver wrote:All of this good info is not very useful, without knowing what emu your 510 is set for.

As far as I am aware, there is none. The settings are as per defaults, I've made no changes to the config, no use of the switchfiles. The precise version/copy is the one in the autoinstall library. The only change was to include the bootloader. Obviously the fact that the 510 actually HAS a light sensor helps! If anything, the sensitivity seems increased over the 'official' navcore - for instance I've noticed that parking up close to a well lit gas station at night is sufficient to make it switch over to "Day View". The earlier reference to using Command and Control to vary the brightness was actually mentioned in a similar thread, not this one btw - apols.
Macca-009 offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby tendriver » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:44 am

tendriver wrote:All of this good info is not very useful, without knowing what emu your 510 is set for.

Macca-009 wrote:As far as I am aware, there is none.

Look for a folder named text in your device's root. If it exists, open the config.txt file that is inside. Current emulation is ???
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Well - I gave up and downgraded

Postby lumkichi » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:31 am

I restored the original Navcore this unit came with :

App 8.083 (9669/090817) OS:343369
Map: 'USA_and_Canada' v835.2420

I had to downgrade the map from 855.2931 too, because this Navcore insisted I cannot use this newer map. Anyhow, the 8.083 Navcore has TWO very remarkable improvements over the 9.205.547817 Navcore:

1) :greeting_mini: The older Navcore is WAAAAAY faster, and I mean responses to keypresses, lookups of street names, are simply much faster! The updated Navcore always had an annoying 1 ~ 1.5 second lag/delay to keypresses which made entering addresses a big chore - as it would "lock up" between keypresses and I could never do it under two or three minutes.
2) Night/Day colors now seems to be working according to time again.

To tendriver:
tendriver wrote:What are the 3 where you found references to x30?

I was referring to the original settings in the 'switchfiles.zip' that came with the 9.205 Navcore...

original setconfig.txt:
model:x30
sdid:1
runcheck
changedtext:TomTom GO 940 LIVE
delgns
delmap
ttsoff
btoff
bton
fmon
fmoff
usesetting
cleanflash
fixtmc
fixpna
noautooutsource

original cycle.txt
x30

original model.txt
x20

orignal version.txt
A:7903
B:9183

I changed these values to (and yes, I unzipped them to the Tomtom root as a 'Config' folder):

setconfig.txt
model:x50 <-- also tried, x40, x40light, x30, x20, x10

changedtext:TomTom XL 330
ttsoff
btoff
fmoff
usesetting

fixtmc

noautooutsource

model.txt and cycle.txt also changed to match setconfig.txt. I removed the version.txt (apparently).

:aggressive:I'm a little disappointed to think this thing hasn't enough processing power to effectively support the newer Navcores. I guess I'm going try other Navcores to see if I can find a balance between speed/performance and ability to use the newer maps...

But thank you to everyone for giving me advice. :clap: I'll keep you posted.

~Lum
lumkichi offline

Postby tendriver » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:21 pm

lumkichi wrote:I restored the original Navcore this unit came with :

App 8.083 (9669/090817) OS:343369
Map: 'USA_and_Canada' v835.2420

I had to downgrade the map from 855.2931 too, because this Navcore insisted I cannot use this newer map. Anyhow, the 8.083 Navcore has TWO very remarkable improvements over the 9.205.547817 Navcore: 855.2931 is compatable with NC 8.083

1) :greeting_mini: The older Navcore is WAAAAAY faster, and I mean responses to keypresses, lookups of street names, are simply much faster! The updated Navcore always had an annoying 1 ~ 1.5 second lag/delay to keypresses which made entering addresses a big chore - as it would "lock up" between keypresses and I could never do it under two or three minutes.
The key is a proper setup.
2) Night/Day colors now seems to be working according to time again.

To tendriver:

I was referring to the original settings in the 'switchfiles.zip' that came with the 9.205 Navcore...

original setconfig.txt:
model:x30
runcheck
changedtext:TomTom GO 940 LIVE
delgns
delmap
ttsoff
btoff
bton
fmon
fmoff
usesetting
cleanflash
fixtmc
fixpna
noautooutsource
original cycle.txt
x30
original model.txt
x20
orignal version.txt
A:7903
B:9183
I changed these values to (and yes, I unzipped them to the Tomtom root as a 'Config' folder):

setconfig.txt
model:x50
sdid:1: only needed if you use different Navcores on several SD cards Delete

changedtext:TomTom XL 330
ttsoff: to deactivate TTS on devices without TTS function because the standard is "on"
btoff: deactivates Bluetooth
fmoff: turns the FM transmitter off
usesetting: same as sdid Delete
fixtmc: use if your antenna can't find a station. (Mainly x10 devices) Delete
noautooutsource: 32MB devices use as STANDARD. Delete
model.txt and cycle.txt also changed to match setconfig.txt. I removed the version.txt (apparently). Delete

:aggressive:I'm a little disappointed to think this thing hasn't enough processing power to effectively support the newer Navcores. I guess I'm going try other Navcores to see if I can find a balance between speed/performance and ability to use the newer maps...

But thank you to everyone for giving me advice. :clap: I'll keep you posted.

~Lum

You quit too soon. Your device has enuf processing power, if it is setup correctly.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby lumkichi » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:43 pm

It has enough processing power to not-have keypress lags? With the newest Navcore, it was so bad, I honestly couldn't tell if I didn't press the key at all or if it took it. I ended up pressing the key twice, may be three times, thinking it hadn't noticed - then a few seconds later, I have too many keypresses on the screen. Then I'd fight with the backspace button in the same manner, and often press it waay too many times. It was horrible.

If it were set up correctly, I would not be experiencing that? Then I must have had it setup incorrectly right out of the install I got. I didn't know there were other setups i needed to do. Pray tell, how do I get over it?
lumkichi offline

Postby tendriver » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:59 pm

lumkichi wrote:It has enough processing power to not-have keypress lags? With the newest Navcore, it was so bad, I honestly couldn't tell if I didn't press the key at all or if it took it. I ended up pressing the key twice, may be three times, thinking it hadn't noticed - then a few seconds later, I have too many keypresses on the screen. Then I'd fight with the backspace button in the same manner, and often press it waay too many times. It was horrible.

If it were set up correctly, I would not be experiencing that? Then I must have had it setup incorrectly right out of the install I got. I didn't know there were other setups i needed to do. Pray tell, how do I get over it?

The answer is in the switchfile.zip. In post 13 I defined what each setconfig.txt entry does & what you don't need.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Next

Return to General Discussions about TomTom