mapsettings.cfg file   

mapsettings.cfg file

Postby bondy99 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:00 pm

Hi,

I have TomTom XKL 540.

I'm in the process of transferring all files and folders of my XXL onto the other device except the mapsettings.cfg file as well as deleting all .dct files that have been transferred to the other XXL540 device.

Only problem is I cannot find or locate the mapsettings.cfg file. I have looked in the Maps folder, its not there.

My pc is Windows 8.1, would it be a hidden file?

Any help on this would be welcome.

Thanks
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bondy99 offline

Re: mapsettings.cfg file

Postby bondy99 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:23 pm

Me again,
Correction, I found mapsettings.cfg file in map folder in Australia in my own device

However, I could not find it in my friends device, it should be in the same folder as I have but its not there. I checked every folder.

I have deleted all .dct files after transferring all files and folders from mine to the other unit.

If my friend does not have it installed on the current unit he has ( which I had upgraded previously) and has been working. would it be prudent for me to provide him a copy of my mapsettings.cfg file?

Cheers.
bondy99 offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:35 am

bondyz99 wrote:1. However, I could not find it in my friends device, it should be in the same folder as I have but its not there. I checked every folder.
2. I have deleted all .dct files after transferring all files and folders from mine to the other unit.
3. If my friend does not have it installed on the current unit he has ( which I had upgraded previously) and has been working. would it be prudent for me to provide him a copy of my mapsettings.cfg file?

1. The mapsettings.cfg file is always in & only in the map folder. It contains specific info entered by the user, such as Home Location, Favorites, etc. It is easiest to transfer the file from the old map to the new map to keep from having to re-enter the info. If no mapsettings.cfg file is in it the new map folder, the device will self-create one as info is entered.
2. OK.
3. NO!! See point1 above. If you made a back-up when you previously upgraded the unit & the back-up still exists, look in the back-up map folder for the old mapsettings.cfg file.
I do not give help by PM. It deprives our other members of a chance to learn. Please post your issue in the appropriate forum/thread. You will get an answer.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby bondy99 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:48 pm

Hi,

Thanks, I did manage to find the backup files and yes did find the "Mapsettings.cfg" file.

I tried about 4 times in transferring my files and folders onto my friends except the "Mapsettings.cfg" file, after running FastActive, it said ok, patched or similar words. I disconnected my friends TomTom device from the pc. Powered up TomTom , it loaded up and get a message with a Red Screen. Will not work with this Map, or something similar, I cannot remember the exact wording.

I deleted all the files from that TomTom and tried again. Same thing.

I cannot understand why that message kept cropping up and why it would not work , It worked perfectly with the last updated map. This time, no such luck.

I reinstalled the old files and map back into my friends TomTom and works ok with the old map.

I'm at a loss as to what went wrong.

Any idea as to what the problem could be?

Cheers
bondy99 offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:54 pm

bondyz99 wrote:Any idea as to what the problem could be?

My bet is the new map is not patched. Did you remember to have a copy of his ttgo.bif file in his XXL when patching? Look in the new map folder for the .meta.dct file. No file = not patched. If no .meta.dct file, put FastActivate,exe & a copy of his device's ttgo.bif file in the new map folder, then run option 2.
FYI. It is not necessary to copy your XXL files to the other XXL each time you change maps, unless you are also changing navcores, which I doubt that you are doing, since 9.510 has been current for a long time.
I do not give help by PM. It deprives our other members of a chance to learn. Please post your issue in the appropriate forum/thread. You will get an answer.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby bondy99 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:46 pm

Hi,
Hmmm, I thought the map was patched, I'm sure I did press the option. A good point you raised about the ttgo.bif file. I did not take much notice at the time. I'll definitely look in the new map folder for the .meta.dct file.

Just to confirm, if no .meta.dct file, I place FastActivate.exe & a copy of my friends device's ttgo.bif file in the new map folder , then run option 2, is this correct?

It will be about 3 or 4 weeks time before I can check it again, 460klm round trip.

Thanks
bondy99 offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:43 pm

bondyz99 wrote:Just to confirm, if no .meta.dct file, I place FastActivate.exe & a copy of my friends device's ttgo.bif file in the new map folder , then run option 2, is this correct?

You are correct. The ttgo.bif file doesn't have to be new, it just has to have been created by the unit on which the new map will be used.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby bondy99 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:23 am

Ok, seems straight forward.

As soon as I have a go at it again (about 4 weeks time), I'll let you know how it went.

Thanks for your help.
bondy99 offline

Return to General Discussions about TomTom