language and syntax pronunciation   

language and syntax pronunciation

Postby Hotpants » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:58 pm

Hi all, bit of a strange question. Where does tomtom store all of the files for the speaking voices? The reason I ask is that my daughter is studying linguistics and phonetics at university, and was interested in how the instructions are formed and how the voice spits out street names and the pronunciation.

I've had a look in the Loquendo tts folder, but cant find anything that makes sense.

Its a GB voice that i'm interested in.

Regards

Hotpants
Hotpants offline

User avatar Member

Postby biggerdave » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:38 pm

Hotpants wrote:Hi all, bit of a strange question. Where does tomtom store all of the files for the speaking voices? The reason I ask is that my daughter is studying linguistics and phonetics at university, and was interested in how the instructions are formed and how the voice spits out street names and the pronunciation.

I've had a look in the Loquendo tts folder, but cant find anything that makes sense.

Its a GB voice that i'm interested in.

Regards

Hotpants

Is it cphoneme.dat in the map folder perhaps? Just a thought.
::thumbup:: S i m p l e s ::thumbup::
biggerdave offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby Hotpants » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:33 pm

biggerdave wrote:Is it cphoneme.dat in the map folder perhaps? Just a thought.

Hi biggerdave, i think you are correct. I was also interested in the pronunciation of British roads; ie instead of the A5801 being pronounced A five thousand eight hundred and one, changing the file to make it sound like A five eight 'oh' one etc.

The solution apparently only involves renaming cphoneme.dat in your active map folder (eg Western_and_Central_Europe) on my TomTom as xxcphoneme.dat so it doesn't get used and then replacing EnglishGbTT.rex file in the LoquendoTTS\data\languages\English subdirectory that has UK English language pronunciations with a new file that has the revised details.

probably something to play with on a dark winter's night LOL.

Regards

Hotpants
Hotpants offline

User avatar Member

Return to General Discussions about TomTom