Ipod Touch no gps signal   

Ipod Touch no gps signal

Postby Apextwin » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:07 pm

Good evening All,

I have an Ipod Touch running on 4.0 and jailbroken. Everything is working as it should, so I bought a tomtom map (Western Europe) from iTunes downloaded and installed. I purchased a car kit (new from Amazon) and dowloaded the gratis car kit tomtom app. This is where it all seems to be going wrong... the car kit app finds a gps fix in 3 minutes (quicker if standing) but when I launch the tomtom app it does not find the gps signal and has a constant "waiting for gps signal" in the display screen. I have restored the ipod to the factory settings as maybe the "jailbreak" was blocking the gps signal, made no difference. I have tried switching off wifi, switching on bluetooth and location services (through wifi at home it finds my location immediately). In the meanwhile I have tried Navigon, Co-pilot - iGo and none find a gps signal but the car kit app always shows a fix. This would indicate that the car kit holder is working properly, just the trasfer of gps data to a navigation software is not functioning

To be honest I am at the end of my tether ... lost in Hamburg !

Any suggestions , would really appreciate any solutions or tips ??
Apextwin offline

Postby jimfitzuk » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:10 pm

sorry i cant help but i would like to know how to put tomtom on a ipod touch 32g,do you have to jailbreak and fit some navcore software do you need the car kit etc, any info would be appreciated

cheers jimfitzuk
jimfitzuk offline

Postby djc151084 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:30 pm

Check your GPS settings , check the correct antenna and port is selected

Apextwin wrote:Good evening All,

I have an Ipod Touch running on 4.0 and jailbroken. Everything is working as it should, so I bought a tomtom map (Western Europe) from iTunes downloaded and installed. I purchased a car kit (new from Amazon) and dowloaded the gratis car kit tomtom app. This is where it all seems to be going wrong... the car kit app finds a gps fix in 3 minutes (quicker if standing) but when I launch the tomtom app it does not find the gps signal and has a constant "waiting for gps signal" in the display screen. I have restored the ipod to the factory settings as maybe the "jailbreak" was blocking the gps signal, made no difference. I have tried switching off wifi, switching on bluetooth and location services (through wifi at home it finds my location immediately). In the meanwhile I have tried Navigon, Co-pilot - iGo and none find a gps signal but the car kit app always shows a fix. This would indicate that the car kit holder is working properly, just the trasfer of gps data to a navigation software is not functioning

To be honest I am at the end of my tether ... lost in Hamburg !

Any suggestions , would really appreciate any solutions or tips ??
djc151084 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Apextwin » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:09 pm

To use tomtom on an iPod Touch it is quite simple, firstly you have to purchase the tomtom Application from iTunes or on a jailbroken phone / iPod is easy but forbidden to download( through installous) an illegal Version. Once installed on the iPod you need to purchase a Car Kit (holder plus 12v power supply) tomtom as the iPod Touch does not have an inbuilt GPS. By now you will have spent €150 and the question you should ask if it does not make more Sense to purchase a tomtom Unit... Additionally you should Download the Car Kit App. from iTunes, this will Test the GPS Signal.

I am not satisfied and think that Apple and tomtom are selling incompatible Products. I have been unsuccesful in obtaining a refund from iTunes on the tomtom Software and have reverted to my trusty GO 910. Good luck !
Apextwin offline

Postby djc151084 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:37 pm

Apextwin wrote:To use tomtom on an iPod Touch it is quite simple, firstly you have to purchase the tomtom Application from iTunes

Doesnt this defeat the object of this site ;)
djc151084 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby ipaq_user » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:15 am

Apextwin wrote:Any suggestions , would really appreciate any solutions or tips ??

Have you tried the app GPSSerial ?
Get it through Cydia or Ice, or [Please Register or Login to download file] .
GPSSerial lets you select which serial port will be used by your iPod.
In your case there is only one default option, but maybe the app can 'force' something.

I needed GPSSerial to succesfully use my iGPS360.
Now I also use a Car kit for navigation.
My iTouch (1st Gen.) is still running on OS 3.1.3.
ipaq_user offline

Return to General Discussions about TomTom