How to make RDS-TMC traffic work in Australia   

How to make RDS-TMC traffic work in Australia

Postby Lucan » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:00 am

In about the 1990s in Australia, all TomTom gps devices connected to Suna Traffic via the FM radio, for the life of the device, if you bought a special charging cable that had an FM aerial built in. In around 2010 TomTom stopped their newer devices from connecting to Suna Traffic, but the old devices continued to access Suna Traffic for life.

After about 2010 TomTom still put the same five traffic related files (same in name only) on their GPS, but these newer files wont connect to anything. You need to get a copy of the five old pre 2010 traffic related files, which still connect to Suna Traffic.

You need to copy the five old pre 2010 traffic related files, and paste them onto your newer GPS (deleting the files u already have with the same name).

Two files go in the first main folder of your TomTom. You will see u already have these two files. You need to delete the current files and copy and paste the old pre 2010 files. The two files are called mctx document file, and mctx DAT file.

Three files go in the map folder (for me the folder is called Australia). You will see u already have these three files. You need to delete the current files and copy and paste the old pre 2010 files. The three files are called traffic DAT file, traffic INC file, tmccodes Dat file.

If u don't change all five files, your TomTom traffic indicator may go from spinning to solid green, but your not actually getting traffic data. You need to change all five files.

TomTom home kept removing my traffic files, so I had to copy and paste them back in. But TomTom home is so limited now, I don't think it will remove traffic files anymore.

Soon I will try and work out how to upload my five old traffic files that still work and access Suna Traffic.

Hope that helps someone.
Cheers
Lucas.
Lucan offline

Re: How to make RDS-TMC traffic work in Australia

Postby fredderf » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:30 pm

This is useful information but it would be a lot better if you could compile those files together and host them somewhere for everyone to download and use
If you can do that, I'll move it into the tutorial section

This is also a duplicate post which is a no no...so I'll delete your original post
fredderf offline

Administrator

Postby Lucan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:53 pm

What is the best way to make files available ? I've never done it before
Lucan offline

Postby fredderf » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:58 pm

It's pretty simple...all you need to do is to zip up the files using WinRAR or something similar and then upload the resulting archive to a site EG:

[Please Register or Login to download file]

Then share the uploaded link with us...
fredderf offline

Administrator

Return to General Discussions about TomTom