How to check a meta.txt file without a SatNav or Memory Card   

Postby oldfogy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:18 pm

Although I only really want two maps (UK & ROI) & (Europe) normally I download quite a few different maps and variations including the Truck map, then wait for the appropriate meta file, that way with having multiple maps and different variations of maps the chances are eventually I will be up and running just as soon as the correct meta.txt file is available.

But, I got fed up with constantly loading, unloading and re-loading maps onto memory cards, (which have now grown to a ridiculous number and sizes to accommodate maps just to test if the meta.txt file contained the correct data) obviously not forgetting having to use either the actual satnav or memory card reader on the pc all the time.

So I decided to create a new folder on the PC (the name of the folder doesn't matter, anything will do) then place into the folder:

1. A copy of 'ALL' the downloaded maps in their individual folders.
2. A copy of 'FastActivate'
3. A copy of the meta.txt file you want to check against the loaded maps.
4. A copy of your .bif file from your SatNav or Memory card.
5. Then run FastActivate.

Basically load the new folder exactly the same as you would a normal memory card or onto the satnavs HDD along with the 'FastActivate' and meta.txt file, then run FastActivate, the result being when running FastActive it checks all the maps at the same time and as with installing onto a memory card etc shows which maps are now ready to use.

However, whilst this saves a lot of time and messing around it will not let you run the actual map with TomTom Home, so then and only then do you need to load it onto the memory card or satnav's drive.

Edit.
Text changed and Navcore advice removed because it is not necessary to load any Navcore as previously stated.

oldfogy offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby tendriver » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:43 am

Without seeming to be rude:
1. This is nothing new. Only 3 items are needed to patch a map, A. The map itself. B. A copy of the ttgo.bif file from the device, that the map will be used in. C. The patcher of your choice. It makes no difference where you put them, as long as they are together, the map will be correctly patched. A .meta.dct file in the map folder, after patching, confirms that the map is usable. Most of the patchers will alert the user to a false meta code.
2. Why waste your valuable time downloading & patching a bunch of maps that you admitedlly will never use?
3. What is the purpose of including navcore 9.450?
4. This whole procedure is totally unnecessary.
5. I can only surmise, that you have way too much idle time on your hands.

This critique is not intended to discourage you from posting tuts. Also consider the fact that you lost about half of any readers in the first 2 paragraphs. Members are not interested in your how, why & wherefores. They just want the cut and dried facts, ie KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid!!
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby oldfogy » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:36 pm

It really has nothing to do with actually patching the map (even though it does patch it), but simply being able to check the meta.txt file download without having to actually open it after downloading it with all of the maps that have been downloaded all at once in the same place.

1. I was unaware of that.

2. The point is to be able to have a map ready for when the meta file becomes available and not having to check each individual meta file download to see if it has the required meta data in the file. (Time I have plenty of and the downloads are free)

3. Originally I thought it was required, but have since found out it is not.

4. Maybe or maybe not, it all depends on if you want to wait for a meta file before downloading a map or have several various maps already downloaded ready and waiting for a meta file.

5. Correct, as you have commented on in the past when I have tried to be helpful, maybe I should sit on them.
oldfogy offline

Postby tendriver » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:52 pm

oldfogy wrote: It really has nothing to do with actually patching the map (even though it does patch it), but simply being able to check the meta.txt file download without having to actually open it after downloading it with all of the maps that have been downloaded all at once in the same place.
2. The point is to be able to have a map ready for when the meta file becomes available and not having to check each individual meta file download to see if it has the required meta data in the file. (Time I have plenty of and the downloads are free)
4. Maybe or maybe not, it all depends on if you want to wait for a meta file before downloading a map or have several various maps already downloaded ready and waiting for a meta file.

If you are not aware EasyActivator 6.14 & FastActivate 17.02.2013 have a meta.txt update feature. This eliminates the requirement to download a seperate meta.txt.
2. See Above.
4. Keep in mind that of the 175 maps in the 900/901 Edition only 63 meta codes were posted. Of the 173 maps in the 895 Edition only 55 meta codes were posted. Same for the 890/891 Edition. I don't see the 905 Edition being any better.
5. Your help is very much appreciated. This critique is not intended to discourage you from posting tuts. Also consider the fact that you lost about half of any readers in the first 2 paragraphs. Members are not interested in your how, why & wherefores. They just want the cut and dried facts, ie KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid!!
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby oldfogy » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:20 pm

Thanks, no I was not aware there had also been a update to EasyActivator 6.14 & FastActivate 17.02.2013 which now makes my project even easier.
oldfogy offline

Postby bigbloke » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:54 pm

Have to agree with tendriver sounds like a massive pointless waste of time.
bigbloke offline

Postby Downunder35m » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:06 am

That depends on the size of map, the speed of the USB connection and user preferences.
If you the TT, a folder on your hard drive or a USB stick - it does not matter.
But there are people that do a backup before messing around and if you don't like creating a mess on your device, the above is not only good for maps but general save keeping as well.
Bit of overkill to install a map, but for everything else, not too bad.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby oldfogy » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:23 am

The map is not installed as such, just stored in a folder on the PC's HDD along with the other couple of files. (FastActive, meta and bif files)
The difference being they are all stored in the same folder, whereas most people would store them in seperate folders.

So all I have to do is to open my folder at any time I'm on the computer, press the FastActive file to now check if the required meta file is available instead of having to either get out the satnav or memory card, not to mention the memory card or satnav would not necessarily be able to hold all the maps I have.
oldfogy offline

Return to General Discussions about TomTom