How can I format replacement for the Tomtom 910 HDD?   

How can I format replacement for the Tomtom 910 HDD?

Postby munsterh » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:20 pm

Hello,

I tried to update my Tomtom 910 with a new Navcore. Something went wrong - the Navi did not start any more at all. Tried everythinmg including 30 sec reset. No connection with the PC possible.

So I dismantteled the navi took the Harddisk and placed it into an external case to connect it directly to my Win 7 64 notebook. At first Win7 detected the hdd but couldnt reed it. So I partitioned and formated the hdd with normal (not fast) formating using FAT32.

I copied my backup back on the hdd and pluged it back to the TT. It still doesnt start. The hdd starts (small noise) but thats it. Also tried the original Navcore from tomtom - same result. Have done reset mayn times and charged the navi.

Anybody done this before??
munsterh offline

Postby Downunder35m » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:56 am

Usually I would say : replace the HDD with a CF card and adaptor.
The TT HDD's tends to die after a few years of hard work and you can get replacements of up to 80GB
But since you could read and access it under Windows I'm afraid your problem is not the HDD.
Try again if the HDD works on the PC and do some tests with it, if you don't have a program for that just copy and delete big files several times and try to watch a high quality movie from the HDD.
If all that works fine in Windows than you most likely have a damaged controller in your TT which can't be repaired.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby munsterh » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:04 pm

The HDD indeed seems to work fine. Well, it lloks like you are right and there is something wrong with the Tomtom. I only have saved a navcore- can this really damage the controler. Wired - RIP then???
munsterh offline

Postby tendriver » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:30 pm

It was probably just coincidental.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

external case - where to find?

Postby fingerman » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:50 am

munsterh wrote:Hello,

I tried to update my Tomtom 910 with a new Navcore. Something went wrong - the Navi did not start any more at all. Tried everythinmg including 30 sec reset. No connection with the PC possible.

So I dismantteled the navi took the Harddisk and placed it into an external case to connect it directly to my Win 7 64 notebook. At first Win7 detected the hdd but couldnt reed it. So I partitioned and formated the hdd with normal (not fast) formating using FAT32.

I copied my backup back on the hdd and pluged it back to the TT. It still doesnt start. The hdd starts (small noise) but thats it. Also tried the original Navcore from tomtom - same result. Have done reset mayn times and charged the navi.

Anybody done this before??

Hi, wanted to ask you where can I find external case for this thiny tomtom hdd, what kind is it and etc. ? I replaced my tomtom 910 hdd with a brand new one toshiba but I cannot format it when it is in the GPS
fingerman offline

Postby tendriver » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:39 am

fingerman wrote:Hi, wanted to ask you where can I find external case for this thiny tomtom hdd, what kind is it and etc.

Good luck getting an answer. munsterh joined last december, posted twice & hasn't been heard from since.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Downunder35m » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:32 am

The drive is most likely a Hitachi : Hitatchi Model # HTC426020G5CE00
It is an 1.8" HD 50pin ATA interface microdrive for the details.
And finding a case with a USB connection for those drives is not really hard, with [color="red"]1.8" hdd case[/color] in Google I already got lots of hits like that [Please Register or Login to download file]
For the "quick and dirty" job you can get adaptors on Ebay as well, both in USB and normal ATA but a proper case makes it all easier.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Return to General Discussions about TomTom