Help with my new bought tomom xl340tm   

Help with my new bought tomom xl340tm

Postby po1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:31 pm

I recently bought a TomTom XL 340 TM to replace my laggy TomTom one v3.
It's running 9.151 navcore, with a 64mb Ram and 2 GB space. It also comes with a lifetime USA, Canada map update code which i will use later.
Thanks to this forum and numerous super experts here, I had a great time with my Tomtom one and loved the updated maps and cool OS (aka navcore) i found here. I loved what it could do but it lags so much to a point i feel it's dangerous to drive with it. So I bought this new GPS when i saw a sale.

I bought this TomTom XL 340 TM new, its not the most updated product, i know, but it comes with traffic and maps. The problem is that i really hate the operating navcore. It's plain, and its oversimplified to my needs, and i hate the TTS voice. So here come the questions:

1. Can I update the navcore to something more customized like tomtom Via and still enjoy the lifetime map update (i have a piece of paper with a activation code. and don't want to void that by twigging my device if possible)? Can i twig the device and still use MyTomTom to update my maps online? (i mean, it's easier just to update the maps from their website since i've paid for it). I might still come here for maps for other countries if i travel.

2. If so, which navicore work best with a well customized interface(i.e. traffic update frequency, more route planning options)

3. I've never changed a TTS voice. Can I replace the spanish TTS with another better sounding voice? since i don't speak spanish at all.

4. I wish the device can announce the side of the street that the destination is on too if possible!

po1 offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:55 pm

po1 wrote:I bought this TomTom XL 340 TM new, its not the most updated product, i know, but it comes with traffic and maps. The problem is that i really hate the operating navcore. It's plain, and its oversimplified to my needs, and i hate the TTS voice. So here come the questions:

1. Can I update the navcore to something more customized like tomtom Via and still enjoy the lifetime map update (i have a piece of paper with a activation code. and don't want to void that by twigging my device if possible)? Can i twig the device and still use MyTomTom to update my maps online? (i mean, it's easier just to update the maps from their website since i've paid for it). I might still come here for maps for other countries if i travel.

2. If so, which navicore work best with a well customized interface(i.e. traffic update frequency, more route planning options)

3. I've never changed a TTS voice. Can I replace the spanish TTS with another better sounding voice? since i don't speak spanish at all.

1. You are stuck with a 9.XXX navcore. You can't use a V10 or V11 navcore on your new toy. Nor can you use MyTomTom. You are stuck with TT Home.
2. There isn't a 9.XXX any better than what you have.
3. There should be an English voice already loaded. On the device go: Main Menu, Change preferences, Voices, Change voice, Select a voice. If no English voice, connect to your puter, and add an English voice thru TT Home.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about TomTom