Help with Loquendo on repaired 910 (hardrive replaced with s   

Help with Loquendo on repaired 910 (hardrive replaced with s

Postby philsharp » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:48 pm

Hi,

Got the following problem - looking for some suggestions

I have a 910 running patched navcore 7.903 and 8.45 maps - I dropped it, it survived, but kept rebooting, I suspected hardrive, reformatted, restored backup, much better - but still reboots about once an hour.

Looked for replacement hardrrive - too much money.

I bought a sd reader from a 710, put in a 4gb SD card, formatted, copied over backup (leaving out US, Guam, Canary Island maps and non English voices in LoquendoTTS directory) - fits on the 4gb card, reboot, comes up as a 710 and the hard drive icons are now SD card..... to be expected I guess.

It starts up, loads the map and looks like it all works (not actually tried it outside yet - still in "franken-nav" caseless mode at the moment), but TTS voices not presented in menu - recopied them from other backups, checked content, everything matches, but no TTS.

Any ideas or mods to make it know it's a 910 again or convince the "710" running the abive navcore to use TTS?

Thanks in advance.
philsharp offline

Postby djc151084 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:44 am

philsharp wrote:Hi,

Got the following problem - looking for some suggestions

I have a 910 running patched navcore 7.903 and 8.45 maps - I dropped it, it survived, but kept rebooting, I suspected hardrive, reformatted, restored backup, much better - but still reboots about once an hour.

Looked for replacement hardrrive - too much money.

I bought a sd reader from a 710, put in a 4gb SD card, formatted, copied over backup (leaving out US, Guam, Canary Island maps and non English voices in LoquendoTTS directory) - fits on the 4gb card, reboot, comes up as a 710 and the hard drive icons are now SD card..... to be expected I guess.

It starts up, loads the map and looks like it all works (not actually tried it outside yet - still in "franken-nav" caseless mode at the moment), but TTS voices not presented in menu - recopied them from other backups, checked content, everything matches, but no TTS.

Any ideas or mods to make it know it's a 910 again or convince the "710" running the abive navcore to use TTS?

Thanks in advance.

Please delite the TTS folder and try to Re-install through TomTom Home
djc151084 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby philsharp » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:12 am

Hi - thanks for the reply - and appreciate the help - gone back to 1st restore to ensure that no attempts will cloud the process, I have backed out the patched 7.903 and am running with an original map (Guam) in this case - I deleted the LoquendoTTS directory from the root, ran TomTom Home and went through to add computer voices voices, it said that I cannot use this feature because it is not supported by my device (home says the device is a 910 - it's just the device itself that is unsure of it's type).

So - can't do it directly from home.

Anything else to try?
philsharp offline

Postby philsharp » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:31 pm

Update: - tried upping the navcore version via the auto patcher - went for 9.026 to start with, unit wouldn't boot, messed with the outsourced dir got it to boot and work with a few funnies, car dock made it think it had a rds receiver, always cold booting. So - back to start and went for 8.412 - now running fine, TTS has woken up and unit looks to be stable with no strangeness found yet.

So - going to call it fixed for now, many many thanks for the help and the superb work on the auto patchers

Anyone else got a 910 with a broken hard drive - this is the way forward - the sd reader cost £6 on ebay.

Now off to see if the lane images wake up with a fuller featured map!
philsharp offline

Postby tendriver » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:02 pm

philsharp wrote:Update: - tried upping the navcore version via the auto patcher - went for 9.026 to start with, unit wouldn't boot, messed with the outsourced dir got it to boot and work with a few funnies, car dock made it think it had a rds receiver, always cold booting. So - back to start and went for 8.412 - now running fine, TTS has woken up and unit looks to be stable with no strangeness found yet.

So - going to call it fixed for now, many many thanks for the help and the superb work on the auto patchers

Anyone else got a 910 with a broken hard drive - this is the way forward - the sd reader cost £6 on ebay.

Now off to see if the lane images wake up with a fuller featured map!

Your 910 does not need Switchfiles.zip or the outsourced folder.It will run quite nicely with navcore 9.205 & a 855 full featureed map.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby philsharp » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:04 pm

Thanks - will experiment more - when I tried 9.026 it wouldn't boot with the outsourced folder present, and when in the car dock it insisted that a rds-tmc receiver was connected, and when every startup was a cold boot.

I might well try again now I know I have a stable place to start from, once I have sourced an 8.55 map with all the trimmings...

Thanks again.
philsharp offline

Postby tendriver » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:11 pm

philsharp wrote:Thanks - will experiment more - when I tried 9.026 it wouldn't boot with the outsourced folder present, and when in the car dock it insisted that a rds-tmc receiver was connected, and when every startup was a cold boot.

I might well try again now I know I have a stable place to start from, once I have sourced an 8.55 map with all the trimmings...

Thanks again.

I would have posted the correct map for you, but you have not mentioned which country/area that you want.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby philsharp » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:25 pm

I am in the UK, normally use western or western & central europe, but would be quite happy with Uk and Ireland at this stage.

I am now on 9.205 and apart from it cold booting nearly every startup it looks good, just going to check the rds-tmc issue in the car dock and if that's good I will run with this and see how it goes.

Thanks again for all your help.
philsharp offline

Postby tendriver » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:36 pm

philsharp wrote:i am in the uk, normally use western or western & central europe, but would be quite happy with uk and ireland at this stage.

I am now on 9.205 and apart from it cold booting nearly every startup it looks good, just going to check the rds-tmc issue in the car dock and if that's good i will run with this and see how it goes.

Thanks again for all your help.

uk & ir 855.2884
Western and Central Europe 855.2884
Western Europe 855.2884 Available in the All New Maps 855.XXXX StickyWhat do you consider a "cold boot"?
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby philsharp » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:59 pm

Thanks for the map pointers...the file hosting sites are really busy at the moment - I will wait till later on and try again.

Cold boot - white/green background, image of the device tomtom, loading line along the bottom of the screen, splash screen, eventual start - takes like 45 seconds to start - like I had just done a pin reset.

It's not everytime, and actually, last 10 attempts while playing have been spalsh screen to running in about 10 seconds without any of the loading bar - I wonder if the timings for how long you have to hold a button have changed - I remember an older release where people had trouble starting the device because they were holding the buttons too long - maybe I just need to handle the thing a bit more.
philsharp offline

Postby tendriver » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:22 pm

philsharp wrote:Thanks for the map pointers...the file hosting sites are really busy at the moment - I will wait till later on and try again.

Cold boot - white/green background, image of the device tomtom, loading line along the bottom of the screen, splash screen, eventual start - takes like 45 seconds to start - like I had just done a pin reset.

It's not everytime, and actually, last 10 attempts while playing have been spalsh screen to running in about 10 seconds without any of the loading bar - I wonder if the timings for how long you have to hold a button have changed - I remember an older release where people had trouble starting the device because they were holding the buttons too long - maybe I just need to handle the thing a bit more.

The only time that I get a "cold boot" is after disconnecting from the puter. The "loading line" is actually an unloading line as the unit switches from being connect to a puter to it's normal operating mode. How long you hold the button makes no difference.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby philsharp » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:21 pm

uk + ir 855 2884 up and running - so far so good.

Thanks again
philsharp offline

Postby philsharp » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:25 pm

my only other "funny" is the tomtom will hang when I connect to the pc if it is running when I do it- have to power off connect then power on - not a big problem - I rarely connect - maybe it's related to the split personality 710 vs 910 - but not a major problem. Considering last week I bought a xl iqroutes 2 eu edition, hit the 80% volume problem and was so disgusted with tomtom tech support thay I returned it - my 910 with the <10 pound repair is working very well now.
philsharp offline

Postby tendriver » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:28 am

philsharp wrote:my only other "funny" is the tomtom will hang when I connect to the pc if it is running when I do it- have to power off connect then power on - not a big problem - I rarely connect - maybe it's related to the split personality 710 vs 910 - but not a major problem. Considering last week I bought a xl iqroutes 2 eu edition, hit the 80% volume problem and was so disgusted with tomtom tech support thay I returned it - my 910 with the <10 pound repair is working very well now.

You have made several references to 710. When and where are you seeing this on your 910? Switchfiles.zip contains a Config folder. In the folder is a setconfig.txt file. Open the file with notepad. One option is "changed.txt". The 710 reference may be coming from this file.RE: TT Support. I have never seen anybody say anything good about TT Tech Support.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby philsharp » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:37 am

Before moving to V9 navcore - the unit called itself a 710 when it booted "Welcome to TomTom 710". Now, under navcore 9 - anytime the unit "talks" about itself, like when it displays a tip or a tour it calls itself a 710.

If I go to the status screen (the version number one) under navcore 9 - it says TomTom GO 710 at the top of the screen.

I have removed the switchfiles.zip and the outsourced.... directory from the install - so it's not there that's its coming from - I noticed it as soon as I swapped the hardrive for the sd reader back when it was running a 7.903.
philsharp offline

Next

Return to General Discussions about TomTom