Have I bricked my TT GO 910   

Have I bricked my TT GO 910

Postby ronaldj31 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:15 pm

Hi all,
New to Navitotal, great forum and my first post. I'm a real Newbie when it comes to updating GPS systems although I have a fair bit of computing experience (could be bad in this situation I guess). Anyway Ive done a huge amount of reading on the tutorials covering Navcore updating, map downloading and their compatability, etc. Full of new info, I backed up my Go 910. Then removed all the files located on the 20gig hard drive, then used the clear flash tool, etc to start from a clean slate. I downloaded downunder35's Navcore 9.430GO.rar file for GO models thinking I would play it safe. I also downloaded map 915.5074 Australia from the Navitotal map forum which I believe has the meta data file included and is OK to use with Navcore 9.430. Also downloaded the TTcurrent config.exe so I would be able to give you some info.

So after I flashed the unit the I extracted Navcore 9.430 to the root drive on the GO 910's internal disk. All seemed OK.
I then disconnected the unit from the PC, switched it off, restarted it, waited for it to boot, then reconnected it to the PC. I then used the TTcurrent program and got this:

TTGO.BIF:
DeviceName=TomTom GO 910
DeviceVersionHW=GO 910
BootLoaderVersion=48600
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=9430
ApplicationVersion=890926.1
CurrentMap=
CurrentMapVersion=0.0
TTGO.BAK:
Not Found...
TTGO.ORI:
Not Found...
TTNAVIGATOR.BIF:
Not Found...

OK didn't think much off it except that my bootloader version was still 48600. I would have thought this would be a more recent version now with the new NavCom.

Anyway I persisted and loaded the map to the root drive of the Go 910 agin seemed to go OK, it then auto started Fastactivate and I believe went through the patching process etc. I notice it copied two files during the patching process one of which I thought I saw was the meta.info file. Real quickly I noticed a comment saying "unsuccessful". Fast activate screen then disappeared and I can't seem to find a log file to see what went wrong.

Following another reboot of the system it seemed to boot but shows a red screen immediately after the TOMTOM hands that "Problem with Map, You cannot use this map on this device: Australia-817".
When I click on the OK button it comes up with another screen Select a map: and has listed Australia but of course when I choose it it goes back to the above error "Problem with Map".

I again used the TTcurrent program and got the same again:

TTGO.BIF:
DeviceName=TomTom GO 910
DeviceVersionHW=GO 910
BootLoaderVersion=48600
CurrentMap=
CurrentMapVersion=0.0
TTGO.BAK:
Not Found...
TTGO.ORI:
Not Found...
TTNAVIGATOR.BIF:
Not Found...

I don't know where I have gone wrong, except I believe the bootloader is still the original old one that came with the unit. Thought I read all the correct articles but of course I've gone wrong somewhere :7:. Couldn't find much about updating the bootloader which I guess should happen when you update the NavCore? Is it bricked or can it be salvaged. Just didn't want to buy a brand new unit if I didn't need to. Sorry if I have left any info out.

RJ
ronaldj31 offline

Postby tendriver » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:36 pm

ronaldj31 wrote:Is it bricked or can it be salvaged

Thanx for reading the tuts. As a teacher once told me, "You have learned just enuf to get yourself in trouble"!! You did a huge amount of work needlessly! You only have a simple map patching issue!! Follow these instructions. Do no more or no less. Put FastActivate Latest Update & a copy of your ttgo.bif file in the Australia 5074 map folder. Run option 2. Look for a .meta.dct file in the 5074 map folder to confirm that the map is patched. Disconnect & reboot.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Razorblatter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:17 pm

Yeah, perhaps you did not use the latest FastActivate and your map didn't get patched because it's meta code was not known to the older FastActivate.
No worries, you''ll make it.
Razorblatter offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby ronaldj31 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:52 am

Thanks for all the feedback,
Yehhhh, excellent tendriver tried what you said and it all worked with the latest update you suggested, also loaded some voices as it originally said no spoken voices can work with the chosen language. Just as an FYI the unit reported back the following:

TTGO.BIF:
DeviceName=TomTom GO 910
DeviceVersionHW=GO 910
BootLoaderVersion=48600
CurrentMap=Australia_915_5074
CurrentMapVersion=915.5074
TTGO.BAK:
Not Found...
TTGO.ORI:
Not Found...
TTNAVIGATOR.BIF:
Not Found...

Dont know if the TTNAVIGATOR.biff, TTGO.BAK and TTGO.ORI are important but everything seems to work so far.

Thanks heaps

RJ
ronaldj31 offline

Postby tendriver » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:58 am

ronaldj31 wrote:1. Dont know if the TTNAVIGATOR.biff, TTGO.BAK and TTGO.ORI are important but everything seems to work so far.

2. Thanks heaps

1. No, those 3 files are for special conditions, which don't apply to your issue.
2. You are Welcome. Enjoy!!

:thread_solved:
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about TomTom