GPS Week Number Rollover (WNRO) 6 April 2019   

GPS Week Number Rollover (WNRO) 6 April 2019

Postby 5cabbage » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:40 am

I have just received an email from TomTom saying "Consider upgrading your device - Due to the upcoming WNRO on 6 April 2019, your navigation device will continue to navigate, but will not be able to show the correct time and estimated time of arrival (ETA).

We are working to see if an update is possible and will contact you when there is news. Or you can choose to upgrade and buy a new TomTom navigation device with up to a 30% discount.
". I have a TomTom One XL purchased in 2008 still working perfectly well and the cheapest discount option TomTom offer is £144.

What is the GPS Week Number Rollover (WNRO)? Their website says "The GPS Week Number Rollover (WNRO) occurs every 19 years, with the next roll over taking place on 6 April 2019. Similar to odometers in older cars rolling over from 99,999 km to 0, the GPS WNRO is the resetting of the GPS calendar back to 0.

When the calendar resets, it can cause a miscommunication between GPS satellites and GPS receiver chips. As a result, some chips in satnavs will lose the ability to process certain functions.

What does this mean for you? It’s time to check your satnav. Depending on your device, you may need to update or upgrade.
"

My question is "Is this just a scare like at the Millenium with Y2K?

From what I can see even if the week number is wrong, theoretically the only problem with the time should be that it is 19 years out doesn't know exactly when to apply GMT or BST. It shouldn't be too hard to mentally add or subtract an hour till it catches up to compensate. If I am right it will save a lot of money for a replacement.

Is my assumption correct?
5cabbage offline

Re: GPS Week Number Rollover (WNRO) 6 April 2019

Postby holyhead » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:56 pm

What do you really expect from a device from 2008 I think it has used his purpose.
Wait and see after 6 April you can always,s update your navcore to 9.541.
Saving a lot of money? you can get one from Curry,s (TT Go Basic 130 and Start 119)
with more functions, you ever got before.
holyhead offline

V.I.P Member

Return to General Discussions about TomTom