Free lifetime map updates on some new TomTom models - Austra   

Free lifetime map updates on some new TomTom models - Austra

Postby spectrix » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi Guys, just some information for possible interest to fellow TomTom users.

TomTom are currently offering free lifetime map updates on new Go Live and Via units.

Supposedly the offer is only available on new units purchased from authorised resellers in Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom.
[Please Register or Login to download file] .

After years of downloading and patching my own maps it's finally become economically viable option to own one of the new series of units. I just purchased a Go Live 2050.
My new unit just spent a couple of hours connected to the computer updating all of the maps to version 895. Just a word of warning if you have limited downloads and purchase a World Maps model, I think it was about 10GB of data and there wasn't an option to select certain maps to update, it did all five map regions at once and I gather it'll be doing the same thing four times each year.

The MyTomTom web interface is still buggy and painfully slow but it did get the job done eventually.

I also managed to copy my Favourites, POI, map colours and some of the voices over from my old Go930 using a tool called [Please Register or Login to download file]

The new unit doesn't offer *that* much more than my 930, though it does have a nice capacitive touchscreen, gets live traffic updates and perhaps the best thing is it has an option to turn on automatically with the ignition.

Anyway, hope that information is helpful to someone :)

Cheers
spectrix offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby tendriver » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:07 pm

spectrix wrote:.

Hi Guys, just some information for possible interest to fellow TomTom users.

TomTom are currently offering free lifetime map updates on new Go Live and Via units.

1. Supposedly the offer is only available on new units purchased from authorised resellers in Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom.
[Please Register or Login to download file] .

After years of downloading and patching my own maps it's finally become economically viable option to own one of the new series of units. I just purchased a Go Live 2050.
My new unit just spent a couple of hours connected to the computer updating all of the maps to version 895. Just a word of warning if you have limited downloads and purchase a World Maps model, I think it was about 10GB of data and there wasn't an option to select certain maps to update, it did all five map regions at once and
2. I gather it'll be doing the same thing four times each year.

The MyTomTom web interface is still buggy and painfully slow but it did get the job done eventually.

I also managed to copy my Favourites, POI, map colours and some of the voices over from my old Go930 using a tool called [Please Register or Login to download file]

The new unit doesn't offer *that* much more than my 930, though it does have a nice capacitive touchscreen, gets live traffic updates and perhaps the best thing is it has an option to turn on automatically with the ignition.

Anyway, hope that information is helpful to someone :)

Cheers

1. It also includes Ireland & Poland.
2. You are correct.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby spectrix » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:55 pm

tendriver wrote:1. It also includes Ireland & Poland.

No, units purchased in Poland don't qualify for Lifetime maps updates. I think they have a three year update offer instead.
spectrix offline

Postby Downunder35m » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:25 pm

I guess it is only a matter of time untill all new TT's get free lifetime maps.
It is the only way for TT to justify the price for a new unit, considering that other providers like Nokia already offer free maps.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:40 pm

Downunder35m wrote:I guess it is only a matter of time untill all new TT's get free lifetime maps.

Yes, they are definitely headed that way. From the Android versions on Google Play:
FREE Lifetime Maps. Always drive with the latest map and get to your destination faster. Download 4 or more full updates every year for the life of your app.

FIRST control the content. Then..........:o
But that's just my opinion..I could be wrong.
Y.T.
Primo2.4 PrimoAndroid TomTomAndroid
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby spectrix » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:44 pm

TomTom have suffered a massive decrease in sales due to navigation software on phones. I personally find a dedicated in car GPS to be far superior than my phone, but I guess it's just easier and cheaper for most people to use their phone for navigation once in a while.

Do you get lifetime updates if you buy the Garmin app for a phone?
spectrix offline

Postby Downunder35m » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:16 pm

I can only speak from what I have tested so far, but when it comes to screen resolution and online services any modern smartphone kills a dedicated GPS unit.
The question is, do I need it or do I prefer a dedicated system that is independent from my phone/PDA?
I'm almost certain that in the future we won't have dedicated car GPS system as they will be either integrated or replaced by phones and tablets.
Just a matter of price... Why pay a few hundred bucks for a good GPS, if you get the same features or more for less on your phone?
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Return to General Discussions about TomTom