Driving menu layout, model guides and relevant TT user manual   

Driving menu layout, model guides and relevant TT user manual

Postby mrlongest » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:08 pm

It annoys me when using a new map and navcore for the first time and discovering a menu feature that is worse than with older versions.

For example the latest navcore 9.205 with Europe map 860.3102 produces a driving menu with some key instructions that are difficult to see (some are easier) compared with previous navcore/map combinations in my ONE XL. The direction arrow is significantly smaller and no longer at the top of the status bar. [I like a vertical bar ready for a quick glance at the arrow in the top right-hand corner showing the next turning, while concentrating upon driving. Having to spend time peering at the screen is unsafe.]

That led me to try to find a relationship between whatever determines the driving menu design layout, and the navcore (eg 9.205), name (eg ONE XL), ref. number (eg L12345A12345) and s/n (eg 4S00.000). Which of them determines the menu layout design?

Also is there a guide that cross-refers between model names, ref nos, S/Ns, and (native) navcores?
I've found guides that cross-refer just two of those, but not all four. And many of those guide lists are incomplete and out-of-date, leading to confusion when trying to correlate between them!
mrlongest offline

Postby Downunder35m » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:47 pm

The 9.205 is made for the Rider, so no wonder it will look different as it is optimized for the use with gloves ;)
I already started a comparison chart for the hardware that also lists the official Navcore version.
You can't compare Navcores on devices that the Navcore is not intended to be used on!
There are too many variables like : which model is used, which emulation is set, is it a patched Navcore, SE or even DSA maybe a modified DM version? Original TTUSER SE or noname?
Just check for yourself how lon it takes to fully test only 5 Navcores on your device ;)
Keep in mind that fr some things you have to make and upload screenshots too. So I guess you will have a hard time creating/finding your references ....
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tendriver » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:36 am

mrlongest wrote:It annoys me when using a new map and navcore for the first time and discovering a menu feature that is worse than with older versions.

For example the latest navcore 9.205 with Europe map 860.3102 produces a driving menu with some key instructions that are difficult to see (some are easier) compared with previous navcore/map combinations in my ONE XL. The direction arrow is significantly smaller and no longer at the top of the status bar. [I like a vertical bar ready for a quick glance at the arrow in the top right-hand corner showing the next turning, while concentrating upon driving. Having to spend time peering at the screen is unsafe.]

That led me to try to find a relationship between whatever determines the driving menu design layout, and the navcore (eg 9.205), name (eg ONE XL), ref. number (eg L12345A12345) and s/n (eg 4S00.000). Which of them determines the menu layout design?

Also is there a guide that cross-refers between model names, ref nos, S/Ns, and (native) navcores?
I've found guides that cross-refer just two of those, but not all four. And many of those guide lists are incomplete and out-of-date, leading to confusion when trying to correlate between them!

You are trying to compare apples & oranges. As Downunder said, there are 2 many variables with the different customized NCs to do what you suggest. Let's take model.txt for example. The options are:
ori
x20
x30
x40
x40light
x40light(2,3)
x50
xls
ttssdk
The layout will be somewhat different with each of them. Muliply these 9 options times the number of navcores and you have a nightmare on your hands.
Based on your first sentence in this post, my suggestion is find a combo that you like and stick with it.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby mrlongest » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:41 pm

Downunder35m and tendriver
My admiration for you both, and indeed all the experts on this site, has increased immensely!
For example I never really understood the various options in model.txt (and I still don't!).
I now take to heart your advice 'suck it and see' and if you like it keep it.
This forum quite definitely is the best site for learning about TomTom’s use and improvement. It’s a great source of inspiration.
And I'll try to avoid asking impossible questions in future!
Cheers, and my very best regards
mrlongest offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:01 pm

mrlongest wrote:Downunder35m and tendriver
My admiration for you both, and indeed all the experts on this site, has increased immensely!
For example I never really understood the various options in model.txt (and I still don't!).
I now take to heart your advice 'suck it and see' and if you like it keep it.
This forum quite definitely is the best site for learning about TomTom’s use and improvement. It’s a great source of inspiration.
And I'll try to avoid asking impossible questions in future!
Cheers, and my very best regards

The TT Team sez, "Thank you for the kind comments". Don't stop asking questions. We will give you our best answers. Plus, often we learn from a member's question.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about TomTom