Download problems   

Download problems

Postby armandtanzarian » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:52 pm

Hello all,

I've read this:

Scroll, if necessary, toward the bottom of the LinkSave.in page, that opens, until you see "The visitorpassword that you have entered is wrong" notice.
Below this notice, is a gray box titled Visitorpassword. Type navitotal in the gray box & click enter. The download link/links will be at the bottom
of the page that opens. Use the single downward pointing arrow under the word "Download" to download the map. DO NOT CHOOSE “ALL PARTS”
DO NOT USE "Download with FileFactory's download manager". UN-CHECK IT!!

The trouble is, none of that happens. There is no visitorpassword dialog, I just get loads of guff asking me to download and sign up to all kinds of obvious spyware and virus scams.

I've tried using IExplorer and Firefox. Am I missing something obvious here?
armandtanzarian offline

Re: Download problems

Postby tendriver » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:33 pm

armandtanzarian wrote:I've tried using IExplorer and Firefox. Am I missing something obvious here?

What map are you trying to download? Please be specific!!
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Liheh » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:17 pm

I have been getting the same problem. The Usernet screen will pop up and forces the user to register with credit card. The Usernet screen just took over and I could not do anything. I finally decided to clicked on the button on the upper right corner of the Usernet screen without understanding the language. It must be close or some thing like that. The Usernet screen disappeared and I am able to see the download links. I am in the process of downloading the 3rd file. I did have to switch to Firefox after the second download with Chrome when every other link said file not found. It is a lot of work and guesses, too much for a normal person. Since the guys spent so much time to get all these stuff available for everybody, these are really good stuff, they should make it easier for the download. I would have given up a long time ago normally. I bet a lot of people have.
Liheh offline

Postby nabi » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:34 am

Everyone should consider that downloading issues (including fast dying links) are the price to pay for getting this and other stuff while not paying TomTom for it.
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby tendriver » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:26 pm

nabi wrote:Everyone should consider that downloading issues (including fast dying links) are the price to pay for getting this and other stuff while not paying TomTom for it.

The below is copied from a PM to Liheh:

Liheh wrote:1. I have been getting into the same problem with the Usernet pop up that forces the user to register with credit card in a few of the sites in the past a few days trying to down load the map. I tried a few sites.
2. Guest what? I did read your instruction but the Usernet screen just took over and I could not do anything. I finally decided to clicked on the button on the upper right corner of the Usernet screen without understanding the language. It must be close or some thing like that. The Usernet screen disappeared and I am able to see the download links.
3. I am in the process of downloading the 3rd file. I did have to switch to Firefox after the second download with Chrome when every other link said file not found. It is a lot of work, too much for a normal person.
4. Since you guys spent so much time to get all these stuff available for everybody, these are really good stuff, you should make it easier for the download. I would have given up a long time ago normally. I bet a lot of people have.
5. Anyway, thank you very much. Maybe I started at the wrong spot, should have read the general discussion. If I have this much trouble being an ex-it guy, others would too. Thanks again.

1. Nobody is ever forced to register anywhere or pay for anything from Navitotal!!
2. OK.
3. You think it is too much work, for the price that you paid!!
4. During the 5 years plus, that we have been doing this, we have tried every download option that there is. Nothing worked any better than what we have now.
5. You are Welcome!!

tendriver
Super Mod
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Liheh » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:19 pm

To help armandtanzarian with his download question.
This is my experience. The first problem is the Usernet screen. It pops up and blocks everything. It will force you to go on it. Click on SchlieBen at the upper right corner. It is close in German. The Usernet screen will disappear and it won't show up all the time anymore. If it does, close it. Now you can follow the instruction. However, the password screen night not appear all the time and I've never see the download manager option to uncheck. After you select a file and make your SLOW download choice on the File factory screen, you will get a click here to download button. This is the tricky part. When you click on download nothing happens but the download will start in the back ground. Check the progress of the download. Don't even bother with anything else but Firefox. IE and Chrome both had problem at some point. You can only download one file at a time. Close everything and restart if you start having problems. I am on my last file. I have to give credit to the people of this site. The download problem most likely is out of their control.
Thanks tendriver. The most important info from your reply is that Navitotal does not charge $. That kept me stay on working through the problems. I read some of the historical posts and realize that you guys have no control over the download since the files are on others server. Why not making it cheaper so the users don't have to spend 10 hours for the price. Obviously the download instruction provided is not sufficient. There are pop up screens a user has to fight through before they see the password screen you mentioned. When a new comer gets all these pop ups asking them to download and install stuff, most of them simply go away think this site is another one of the scams. Since this site is legit and you guys do spend all these time to maintain the site, why not giving them the help getting through these pop pus. Put more in the instruction.
Liheh offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:03 pm

Liheh wrote:1. The first problem is the Usernet screen. It pops up and blocks everything. It will force you to go on it. Click on SchlieBen at the upper right corner. It is close in German. The Usernet screen will disappear and it won't show up all the time anymore. If it does, close it. Now you can follow the instruction.
2. However, the password screen night not appear all the time and
3. I've never see the download manager option to uncheck.
After you select a file and make your SLOW download choice on the File factory screen, you will get a click here to download button.
4. This is the tricky part. When you click on download nothing happens but the download will start in the back ground. Check the progress of the download.
5. Don't even bother with anything else but Firefox. IE and Chrome both had problem at some point. You can only download one file at a time. Close everything and restart if you start having problems. I am on my last file. I have to give credit to the people of this site. The download problem most likely is out of their control.
Thanks tendriver. The most important info from your reply is that Navitotal does not charge $. That kept me stay on working through the problems. I read some of the historical posts and realize that you guys have no control over the download since the files are on others server.
6. Why not making it cheaper so the users don't have to spend 10 hours for the price.
7. Obviously the download instruction provided is not sufficient.
8. There are pop up screens a user has to fight through before they see the password screen you mentioned. When a new comer gets all these pop ups asking them to download and install stuff, most of them simply go away think this site is another one of the scams. Since this site is legit and you guys do spend all these time to maintain the site, why not giving them the help getting through these pop pus. Put more in the instruction.

1. The Usernet screen doesn't force you to do anything. Just close it & move on.
2. No password entry window, NO SWEAT!! Just move on.
3. No Download Manager to uncheck, NO SWEAT!! Just move on.
4. I have no idea why you say, "When you click on download nothing happens".
5. I've never had a problem downloading with any version of Windows or IE.
6. Say what??
7. It might not be for 1 or 2 members, such as yourself.
8. The password window is in the initial LinkSave.in page that opens at the beginning of the map download process. Usernet is the only screen that pops up without any member input. Any others, that I am aware of, must be initiated by a member. You might check you pop up blocker settings.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Liheh » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:47 am

Here is the final update. I was able to successfully update the map for the old Tomtom my kid was ready to throw out. Now it has the latest map and works like a charm. Here is my experience and hope it will help the people who are not doing this all the time and gets lost in the process of downloading the files.
1. The MAP on this site really works. Read the instruction and select only the ones with the meta file. Don't bother trying your luck.
2. You must be prepared to spent quite a bit of time to do try and error. Don't expect to just download and install like you do on Piratebey.
3. There are going to be pop ups when you download. Just close them. In most cases you will see the screen you want under them. If you don't see what you want go back and select the dowload again.
4. Don't expect Tenderdrive to help you with your download. He makes more statements than giving you help because everything for him is NO SWEAT!! armandtanzarian started this download problem because he, like all the new comers, is confused in view of those popups. We would SWEATED clicking on any of those popups especially the stuff that's not English. I wish Tenderdrive had told me how to get rid of the Usernet screen when I asked him for help especially he already know SchlieBen on the Usernet screen means close.
5. As I repeated a few times, the stuff on this site is pretty good. However, getting to it is very difficult for the new comers. People ask the simple questions because most people don't want to click away and run the risk of getting the virus. Instead of spending the time debuting every item on my post, it would be so much more helpful to spend the time providing the answers. A simple list of 5 - 10 unexpected situation will really help.
Liheh offline

Postby nabi » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:20 am

FWIW : http://www.navitotal.com/general-discussions-about-igo-core-f87/download-hosting-site-secrets-t9868.html

I hope it helps, but is possibly not applicable to every download site.
Meanwhile, it's not impossible the downloadsites change methods and/or strategy.
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby tendriver » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:43 pm

Liheh wrote:Here is the final update. I was able to successfully update the map for the old Tomtom my kid was ready to throw out. Now it has the latest map and works like a charm. Here is my experience and hope it will help the people who are not doing this all the time and gets lost in the process of downloading the files.
1. The MAP on this site really works. Read the instruction and select only the ones with the meta file. Don't bother trying your luck.
2. You must be prepared to spent quite a bit of time to do try and error. Don't expect to just download and install like you do elsewhere.
3. There are going to be pop ups when you download. Just close them. In most cases you will see the screen you want under them. If you don't see what you want go back and select the dowload again.
4. Don't expect Tenderdrive to help you with your download. He makes more statements than giving you help because everything for him is NO SWEAT!! armandtanzarian started this download problem because he, like all the new comers, is confused in view of those popups. We would SWEATED clicking on any of those popups especially the stuff that's not English. I wish Tenderdrive had told me how to get rid of the Usernet screen when I asked him for help especially he already know SchlieBen on the Usernet screen means close.
5. As I repeated a few times, the stuff on this site is pretty good. However, getting to it is very difficult for the new comers. People ask the simple questions because most people don't want to click away and run the risk of getting the virus. Instead of spending the time debuting every item on my post, it would be so much more helpful to spend the time providing the answers. A simple list of 5 - 10 unexpected situation will really help.

1. Great advice. Same as posted in the "Download Instructions" in "All New Maps XXX/XXX.XXXX" post1 & "XXX/XXX Map Collections Only!!" post 2.
2. There is no trial & error, if you follow the "Download Instructions" in "All New Maps XXX/XXX.XXXX" post 1 or "XXX/XXX Map Collections Only!!" post 2.
3. If you follow the "Download Instructions" in "All New Maps XXX/XXX.XXXX" post 1 or "XXX/XXX Map Collections Only!!" post 2., there is only a Usernet pop-up, which only covers about half of the screen. Click SchlieBen on the Usernet pop-up to close it.
4. The carefully worded, detailed "Download Instructions" in "All New Maps XXX/XXX.XXXX" post 1 & "XXX/XXX Map Collections Only!!" post 2. are there for the benefit of all members, when a MOD isn't available. How to close a pop-up, window, screen or whatever you want to call it, is BASIC computer knowledge, regardless of what language it is in.
5. Following the carefully worded, detailed "Download Instructions" in "All New Maps XXX/XXX.XXXX" post 1 & "XXX/XXX Map Collections Only!!" post 2. covers the issues listed in this point 5.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Liheh » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:59 pm

Great information. One of the most important thing I have learned in hours invested in the past a few days is that all the obstacles, pop ups & stuff, are from the FREE hosting site. I used to walk away thinking this was just part of the come on. Hope everyone who benefited from this site would add the most confusing stuff they had to dig through getting to the download. Thanks again for the great effort.
Liheh offline

Postby Liheh » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:45 pm

Here is a step by step instruction for downloading files. I understand files are hosted on different sites. This is from the Filefactory. There might be pop ups screens on the way. Just close them.

general-discussions-about-igo-core-f87/download-hosting-site-secrets-t9868-15.html

Thanks Nabi for the link. There seems to be a lot of really good information. Just need to point the people to it.
Liheh offline

Postby Macca-009 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:42 pm

This post won't help those of you with downloading difficulties, but it might help to make you a little more patient, thoughtful and observant.

I had been away from this site for a year or so, but recently returned a couple of weeks ago and have managed to successfully download and install the latest working maps for: USA & Canada, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and several others without any problems by studying what is on the screen in front of me, consulting the comprehensive instructions given by Tendriver and others on here (serving only as a reminder of what I had done in the past) and using a little common sense.

It isn't rocket science, it doesn't require a degree in IT - but OK, maybe it does become a little frustrating occassionally. Generally though, I've no complaints about how downloads are offered - I make it work for me. There is always the 'easy'(?) alternative of buying them of course. Assuming you actually get a complete download from the TT site.

Thanks TD, to you and all the NT gang for a great site, virus free maps and above all, seemingly limitless free support :023: :023: :023: :023:
Last edited by Macca-009 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macca-009 offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby tendriver » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:46 pm

Liheh wrote:Here is a step by step instruction for downloading files. I understand files are hosted on different sites. This is from the Filefactory. There might be pop ups screens on the way. Just close them.
general-discussions-about-igo-core-f87/download-hosting-site-secrets-t9868-15.html

Did you notice that these instructions are the same as the carefully worded, detailed "Download Instructions" in "All New Maps XXX/XXX.XXXX" post 1 & "XXX/XXX Map Collections Only!!" post 2, except Razorblatter used pix instead of the detailed verbiage.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about TomTom