Disappearing free RAM?   

Disappearing free RAM?

Postby Hamish » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:02 pm

I have:
GO910, b/l 5.5229, Nc 9.053, map W&CE 856.3245 and, normally, 13-10 GB free RAM and all works fine - I connect to TTHome once or twice a week for mapshare and GPSFiIX updates.

Spent 10 days touring France (many destinations/vias) and free RAM frequently dropped to <2GB and GO became so slowww redrawing map view and planning any Navigate tos'.

A 5 second pin reset freed up RAM, for a day or two.

Any ideas? Looks to me like linking to TTHome solves the problem, but as I don't have a laptop it's not an option for me.
Hamish offline

Postby tendriver » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:20 pm

Hamish wrote:I have:
GO910, b/l 5.5229, Nc 9.053, map W&CE 856.3245 and, normally, 13-10 GB free RAM and all works fine - I connect to TTHome once or twice a week for mapshare and GPSFiIX updates.

Spent 10 days touring France (many destinations/vias) and free RAM frequently dropped to <2GB and GO became so slowww redrawing map view and planning any Navigate tos'.

A 5 second pin reset freed up RAM, for a day or two.

Any ideas? Looks to me like linking to TTHome solves the problem, but as I don't have a laptop it's not an option for me.

A TT is nothing but a mini computer. Just like a PC or Laptop, the more you load it up, the slower it runs. I have around 17.7 MB Free RAM, after starting my device. It drops with usage. Have you run DOWNLOAD TOMTOM CLEAR FLASH TOOL HERE If no help, you might try a higher NC.

I suspect you meant 2MB rather than 2GB.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Hamish » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:54 am

tendriver wrote:A TT is nothing but a mini computer. Just like a PC or Laptop, the more you load it up, the slower it runs. I have around 17.7 MB Free RAM, after starting my device. It drops with usage. Have you run DOWNLOAD TOMTOM CLEAR FLASH TOOL HERE

[color="blue"]Yes, occasionally. But only at home - I've no portable PC[/color]

If no help, you might try a higher NC.

[color="blue"]I have tried 9.205 but that gave less RAM and appeared to be less stable than 9.053
Perhaps I'll stick with the 5 second pin reset...unless I can persuade SWMBO to invest in a laptop![/color]

I suspect you meant 2MB rather than 2GB.

[color="blue"]You suspect right.[/color]
Hamish offline

Postby Downunder35m » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:04 am

I suspect a problem with the Navcore.
When the device is turened off after a trip it usually only goes into sleep mode to allow a faster start the next time.
You can try to shut the TT down by holding the power button for 15 seconds, that should force a shutdown instead of a sleep.
Other option could be to make a full backup of your current system and try a different Navcore.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tendriver » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:36 pm

Hamish wrote:I have tried 9.205 but that gave less RAM and appeared to be less stable than 9.053 Perhaps I'll stick with the 5 second pin reset...unless I can persuade SWMBO to invest in a laptop!

Did you load the .cab or the basicpack?
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Hamish » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:20 pm

tendriver wrote:Did you load the .cab or the basicpack?

Dunno - I installed 9.051 (9.053 was a typo) from djc151084's link in navitotal Automatic Navcore Installation in Navitotal forum - SE_Navcore.9.051.503855_32mb_devices.exe.

Since getting home on 16th, after 5 second pin resets whilst away for 10 days, I tried adding and rebooting TT:
In \Config

cleanflash - this did clear all my settings (car symbol, map colours, Status bar prefs. . . So not a solution for me.

runclean - this also was not a solution.

However, the "Connect to PC Yes No" prompt from TTHome has disappeared and, upon disconnection from TTHome the GO reverts to a 'basic' set of settings for x40 - pair of crochets for mp3, voice command, standard map colours and car symbol, Status bar options . . . Reconnecting to TTHome followed by disconnection (no updates in this short time) and the GO is 'back to normal' I could try to post these initial screens if required. And, a new (to me, but I have been trying all suggested options) feature has appeared - as the initial screen is displayed it announces that it has connected to my cell phone. Never done that before. But my cell phone does (has always) beep and show disconnection from the GO short time after GO has been turned off - just timed the delay, it's 15 seconds after the GOs screen has gone blank.

Downunder35m wrote:When the device is turened off after a trip it usually only goes into sleep mode to allow a faster start the next time.
You can try to shut the TT down by holding the power button for 15 seconds, that should force a shutdown instead of a sleep.

Will try this, we're off for a long weekend so the TT will get a lot of use. If I get RAM problems, I'll try a different Navcore - any suggestions?

I don't care that the "Connect to PC Yes No" prompt has disappeared.
Hamish offline

Postby Downunder35m » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:47 am

You could try the 9.058 ,the settings you used in the config file are to make sure the Navcore boots to a virgin like state every time.
The TT clear flash tool however "cleans" the residue that is left in your Flash and Ram - but it won't change anything on your settings!
It only works in areas that are used by the Navcore during operation and installation.
Sometimes you got left overs there that can affect the performance of your device.
Forum rules

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby Hamish » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:37 am

Downunder35m wrote:You could try the 9.058 ,the settings you used in the config file are to make sure the Navcore boots to a virgin like state every time.
The TT clear flash tool however "cleans" the residue that is left in your Flash and Ram - but it won't change anything on your settings!
It only works in areas that are used by the Navcore during operation and installation.
Sometimes you got left overs there that can affect the performance of your device.

Will try 9.058 next week, if I get RAM problems before then.

Thanks for the cleanflash/clearflash explanation. In my \Config folder I have:
\setconfig.txt with:
bton
FMon
fixtmc

And model.txt and model.cyc files, both with x40. These may be redundant, may try without them as I understand 9.051 is defaulted to x40.
Hamish offline

Postby Downunder35m » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:32 pm

You only need the setconfig.txt and the model.txt the cycle.txt can be deleted as you only need that to boot into a different emulation.
You need the switchfiles for devices the Navcore is not designed for to get the desired emulation.
Forum rules

Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby Hamish » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:05 pm

Thanks, will only delete cycle.txt.

Looks good, now for the weekend. . .

Thanks again for your help and patience.
Hamish offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:37 pm

Hamish wrote:Thanks, will only delete cycle.txt.

Looks good, now for the weekend. . .

Thanks again for your help and patience.

1. I never recommend loading either a basicpack version or a version from TomTom Automatic Navcore Installation into a 64MB device. They both add stuff that a 6MB unit does not need & causes problems similar to what you are having.

2. I upgrade my 64MB device by loading the .cab & prepatched ttsystem over my current setup, overwriting any common files. I only use a model.txt file set to x50.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Hamish » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:59 pm

tendriver wrote:1. I never recommend loading either a basicpack version or a version from TomTom Automatic Navcore Installation into a 64MB device. They both add stuff that a 6MB unit does not need & causes problems similar to what you are having.

2. I upgrade my 64MB device by loading the .cab & prepatched ttsystem over my current setup, overwriting any common files. I only use a model.txt file set to x50.

Will try tomorrow, both x50 and x40 emulation. The \Outsourced.9051 folder should be removed when using .cab & prepatched ttsystem?
Hamish offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:34 pm

Hamish wrote:Will try tomorrow, both x50 and x40 emulation. The \Outsourced.9051 folder should be removed when using .cab & prepatched ttsystem?

I don't use the outsourced folder or Switchfiles.zip.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Hamish » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:59 pm

tendriver wrote:1. I never recommend loading either a basicpack version or a version from TomTom Automatic Navcore Installation into a 64MB device. They both add stuff that a 6MB unit does not need & causes problems similar to what you are having.

Actioned items 1 & 2 (with x40) on 19/4. Used three/four times a day (navigate to & itineraries). No probs, seemd to settle at 4/5MNB free RAM. Back to 12/13 after connecting to TTHome today.

Thanks again for the help.
Hamish offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:07 pm

Hamish wrote:Actioned items 1 & 2 (with x40) on 19/4. Used three/four times a day (navigate to & itineraries). No probs, seemd to settle at 4/5MNB free RAM. Back to 12/13 after connecting to TTHome today.

Thanks again for the help.

You are Welcome. Enjoy!!

1 final comment. Emu X40 will give you "jukebox", but not Auto day/night. X50 will give you Auto day/night but not "jukebox".

Ready to close this thread?
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Next

Return to General Discussions about TomTom