dead tomtom go 710   

dead tomtom go 710

Postby goofy gorilla » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:14 pm

hi - ive got a go 710 unit, hasnt been used for the last 7 months, was working fine before, ive connected it to a mains charger, green light is on, but doesnt seem to come on..any ideas ?.ta
goofy gorilla offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:00 pm

goofy gorilla wrote:hi - ive got a go 710 unit, hasnt been used for the last 7 months, was working fine before, ive connected it to a mains charger, green light is on, but doesnt seem to come on..any ideas ?.ta

[Please Register or Login to download file]
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby goofy gorilla » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:36 pm

ok update.....managed to get the unit working, left it for several hours, battery doesnnt seem to be charging as the battery indicator is always showing red...once i switch it off and on again it doesnt start up...could the battery be totally knackered so that it doesnt even cahrge up ?...notice one of the plastic lugs in the unit is broken and missing...i wedged it with some plastic...so its a realyy tight fit...unit still comes on but the battery still remains in the red...possibily needs a new battery or not ?...The battery should really stary charging up once ive got it going but remains red all the time ...gonna leave it on charge overnight and see in the morning..
goofy gorilla offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:02 pm

goofy gorilla wrote:notice one of the plastic lugs in the unit is broken and missing...i wedged it with some plastic...so its a realyy tight fit

Plastic lug?? i don't have a 710 to reference.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby goofy gorilla » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:27 pm

tendriver wrote:Plastic lug?? i don't have a 710 to reference.

you know when its sittingon its mount..you press the black release button in the centre just above the screen....well, this pushes two plastic lugs either side of the unit to release it....but then im thinking, it could be the battery cos it gives a connection even if i dont wedge a piece of plastic as the light goes green...so im assuming its charging...which leads me to believe that the battery is faulty or beyond charging capacity cos its gone so low...
goofy gorilla offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:37 pm

goofy gorilla wrote:you know when its sittingon its mount..you press the black release button in the centre just above the screen....well, this pushes two plastic lugs either side of the unit to release it....but then im thinking, it could be the battery cos it gives a connection even if i dont wedge a piece of plastic as the light goes green...so im assuming its charging...which leads me to believe that the battery is faulty or beyond charging capacity cos its gone so low...

I'll share a secret. The green light only means the unit is getting power. FWIW, the battery in my 720 has been bad for ages.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby goofy gorilla » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:24 pm

ok so unit should still work even if the battery is dead completely?...used the car charger just now and unit doesnt work..light is green...must be something wrong with the unit then..
goofy gorilla offline

Postby multipazz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:44 pm

just change the battery... they are cheap !!

[Please Register or Login to download file]

will cost you less than £10
gotta be worth a try !!!

or you could use a cell from an old laptop battery...
if you know what you are doing !!!

but taking an old laptop battery apart...
and testing the cells can be dangerous...
best just to buy a cell from fleabay...
multipazz offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about TomTom