Confused about Tomtom ONE XL 4S00.000 map and firmware update. Need help.   

Confused about Tomtom ONE XL 4S00.000 map and firmware update. Need help.

Postby pinberries » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:29 am

Hello, this is my first post in the forum. I've been lurking for a while and need clarification on couple of things.

First of all I have a very old Tomtom ONE XL 4S00.000, please find my current configuration below:

[TomTomGo]
DeviceName=TomTom ONE XL
DeviceVersionHW=ONE XL
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=7130
ApplicationVersion=8476
DeviceSerialNumber=
DeviceUniqueID=
RamDiskVersion=20070913
BootLoaderVersion=53026
LinuxVersion=2311
UserLanguage=English US
UserName=
LastConnectionTime=Never
GPSFirmwareVersion=
BuiltInColorScheme0=Belgica
BuiltInColorScheme1=Brittanica
BuiltInColorScheme2=America
BuiltInColorScheme3=Germanica
BuiltInColorScheme4=Australia
BuiltInColorScheme5=Deuteranopia
BuiltInColorScheme6=Greys
BuiltInColorScheme7=Antarctica
BuiltInColorScheme8=Africa
BuiltInColorScheme9=Astra
CurrentColorSchemeBuiltIn=4
CurrentVoiceInfo=Mandy
CurrentHomeLocation=
Traffic=N
CurrentFuelpricesType=
CurrentFuelpricesTypeString=

ValueRatio=BlW+mjeexcbXq7DvfQ==

As you can see there are no information about the current map and its version in the ttgo.bif, however I can obtain this information by going to Main screen -> Status summary -> Version:

App 7.130 (8476/070913) OS:2311
29 MB RAM (free: 5.8 MB)
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.3026
Map: 'USA_and_Canada' v710.1575
Language: English US

The first step I've taken was to backup the device which I did. Thanks to that I discovered that the device has 1GB of internal memory. First weird thing I encountered was a painfully slow transfer (it took about 25 minutes to copy 895MB from the device)

What I would like to do with this device is not to mess with internal memory and what's on it. I would like to run it from a 2GB SD card which would enable me to swap between new and old map effortlessly.

Can someone help me by telling me how to proceed with this task step by step?
I know I need information on which Navcore is suitable for this device (what confuses me is that my device has 29MB RAM and none of the Navcores I've seen on this website are less than 32MB. Maybe I got the whole Navcore concept wrong so please guide me through it the first time and I will probably not ask about it again.

Lastly the SD card I have available on hand at this moment is a 2GB card, so this is the size of the map I think I would like to use.
pinberries offline

Postby Downunder35m » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:42 am

32mb Ram is the memory you have to run applications, same as on your PC.
You need a copy of your current ttgo.bif file on the SD card.
Add widesreen Navcore from here :link:
And a map of your choice from here :link:
You can use a map with automatic installer if you prefer.
The chart in the map thread shows you the features of the map versions, I assume you want a 865.3245 map
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby pinberries » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:23 pm

Thanks for quick reply Downunder. Few more questions.

Why does my GPS only displays 29MB of RAM? The other unit that I have (Go 720) displays 64 MB of RAM which looks quite normal to me, but the RAM in TT ONE XL bothers me.

Also what is the preferred way of installing Navcore and a map? Do I just install it straight to the SD card, without TomTom even being attached? Or does the card have to be inserted in the GPS?
pinberries offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:43 pm

pinberries wrote:Thanks for quick reply Downunder. Few more questions.

1. Why does my GPS only displays 29MB of RAM? The other unit that I have (Go 720) displays 64 MB of RAM which looks quite normal to me, but the RAM in TT ONE XL bothers me.

2. Also what is the preferred way of installing Navcore and a map? Do I just install it straight to the SD card, without TomTom even being attached? Or does the card have to be inserted in the GPS?

1. This is a question for TT Support.
2. You can install them straight to the SD card. As Downunder mentioned, put a copy of your ONE XL's ttgo.bif file on the card before you run the patcher.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby marco-polo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:05 pm

I just updated exactly the same TomTom last week, so here are my thoughts:

1) Most recent navcore: 9.205. Use the automatic installer found elsewhere on this forum, if you prefer. You will need to use a SE Navcore, for the reasons described in 2). I don't believe that this is supported by your current bootloader (please check to confirm) so you'll have to update to a more recent one. Believe that I'm currently running 5.5022.

2) You have a 32MB device, like most earlier TomToms. Later ones have 64MB. This will require you to either use an official navcore & system for this device (8.010 is the most recent) or a later SE navcore.

3) What I did is use the latest official navcore and the latest supported 1GB map on the device flash memory, then installed 9.205 and a 2GB map on an SD card. If the SD card is in the device, it will run the navcore & ttsystem off SD; if there is no SD card in the device, it will run it off internal memory.
marco-polo offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:00 pm

marco-polo wrote:I just updated exactly the same TomTom last week, so here are my thoughts:

1) Most recent navcore: 9.205. Use the automatic installer found elsewhere on this forum, if you prefer. You will need to use a SE Navcore, for the reasons described in 2). I don't believe that this is supported by your current bootloader (please check to confirm) so you'll have to update to a more recent one. Believe that I'm currently running 5.5022.

2) You have a 32MB device, like most earlier TomToms. Later ones have 64MB. This will require you to either use an official navcore & system for this device (8.010 is the most recent) or a later SE navcore.

3) What I did is use the latest official navcore and the latest supported 1GB map on the device flash memory, then installed 9.205 and a 2GB map on an SD card. If the SD card is in the device, it will run the navcore & ttsystem off SD; if there is no SD card in the device, it will run it off internal memory.

1. Every navcore has it's own bootloader included. The correct bootloader for 9.205 is 5.5250.

2. 32MB RAM memory doesn't dictate what navcore can or can't be used.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about TomTom