[Q]:Computer TTS voice not working   

[Q]:Computer TTS voice not working

Postby Spz0 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:56 am

First post.
Hey. :)
Great site!! -- beats the pants off other sites I've frequented.

Heres my specs:
Code: Select all
DeviceName=TomTom XL.S IQ Routes Edition
DeviceVersionHW=XL IQ Routes Edition
DeviceSerialNumber=XXXXXXXXXXX
DeviceUniqueID=XXXXXXXXXX
RamDiskVersion=20100824
BootLoaderVersion=55277
LinuxVersion=563271
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=9160
ApplicationVersion=567967.2
UserLanguage=English US

I've been searching around the forums, and maybe I just real tired, but I cant seem to find the answers Im looking for, and was wondering if someone could help me out?

Q: Ever since I installed the X_SE_Navcore.9.160.567967.Basicpack, my computer voices do not work. I've read on a couple other forums that computer voices don't work on SE versions. Is this true, and if so is there a work around?

Thanks in advance!! :)
~Spz0
Spz0 offline

Postby Downunder35m » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:01 am

1. this feature was discontiued by TT a long time ago due to ongoing problems with the contacts causing the devices to swith off whe you drive through a pothole for example.
Another reason was to make the owne take it off the windsreen to prevent theft, at least in the minds of TT.

2. it makes no real difference what type of Navcore you use, but for SE Navcores it might be necessary to edit the setconfig.txt and add the lines
fmon
bton
ttson
to activate all features you might need.
There is a tutorial in the help section too "Switchfiles for dummies" if you need more info on that.
There should also be a file "readmenot.txt" on your device with some info in it.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tendriver » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:35 pm

Spz0 wrote:Second Q: Ever since I installed the X_SE_Navcore.9.160.567967.Basicpack, my computer voices do not work. I've read on a couple other forums that computer voices don't work on SE versions. Is this true, and if so is there a work around?

NOT TRUE!

The basic pack is designed for small screen, small memory units. Your device does not need it. Delete 9.160 & reinstall your backup. Download the. cab & install it over your reinstalled backup, overwriting any common files. Do the same with the ttsystem & PNDNavigator files only in the ttsystem.rar.

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.160.gp.tts.CAB-navcore-XL.cab

X_SE_ttsystem.9.160.567967.rar
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Spz0 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:57 pm

Downunder35m wrote:1. this feature was discontiued by TT a long time ago due to ongoing problems with the contacts causing the devices to swith off whe you drive through a pothole for example.
Another reason was to make the owne take it off the windsreen to prevent theft, at least in the minds of TT.

2. it makes no real difference what type of Navcore you use, but for SE Navcores it might be necessary to edit the setconfig.txt and add the lines
fmon
bton
ttson
to activate all features you might need.
There is a tutorial in the help section too "Switchfiles for dummies" if you need more info on that.
There should also be a file "readmenot.txt" on your device with some info in it.

Wow. It was late last night and I completely overlooked the thread on switchfiles. :)
Thank goodness someone re-wrote "readmenot.txt".... I mean, I got the basic principle of it, but the english and grammar were so bad, it made it hard to comprehend. :)
Thanks for That!!

I've hacked on WinCE GPS's before (Nextar Q4) -- managed to run WinCE as a frontend OS in the GPS, and installed Igo8 Instead of the POS software that came stock with that unit -- so Im not new to the GPS modding scene (I also do openDev for Android devices).

Im going to wipe clean, and apply the 9.16 SE navcore and TTS files again -- redownload the computer voices, then I'll give the ttson a try and report back. :)

Thanks again!! :)
Spz0 offline

Postby Spz0 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:00 pm

tendriver wrote:NOT TRUE!

The basic pack is designed for small screen, small memory units. Your device does not need it. Delete 9.160 & reinstall your backup. Download the. cab & install it over your reinstalled backup, overwriting any common files. Do the same with the ttsystem & PNDNavigator files only in the ttsystem.rar.

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.160.gp.tts.CAB-navcore-XL.cab

X_SE_ttsystem.9.160.567967.rar

I did that already, and my menu system was entirely screwed up from doing so. Wrong icons for menu options and wrong text underneath the icons (nav. to would take me to sound settings, etc..).
Spz0 offline

Postby Spz0 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:14 pm

K, so I re-installed the SE 9.160 after wiping everything -- downloaded "Susan", switched to "ttson", and still no tts voice.

@tendriver: Im going to wipe again, and try your method once more -- perhaps I missed something (it was after midnight when I tried the cab file option).

I'll report back the result!
Spz0 offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:24 pm

Spz0 wrote:@tendriver: Im going to wipe again, and try your method once more -- perhaps I missed something (it was after midnight when I tried the cab file option). I'll report back the result!

This is the only way I do it on my 64MB 4.3" screen unit.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Spz0 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:47 pm

So the cab file is not registering in tomtom home, so Im just going to extract the cab file to the device itself -- overwriting all that needs overwriting -- then copy over ttsystem & PNDNavigator files.
Spz0 offline

Postby Spz0 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:03 pm

Ok, so this time it worked like a champ -- no funky menu system errors. But still no TTS voices, and now I can't fully power down my device. I push the power button, and it just cycles the device.
Something I've noticed: Upon reboot, if I choose a normal voice (not computer voice) it tests and works fine, but as soon as I select or test a computer voice, it borks the whole voice system it seems -- the real voices (ie: mandy, etc...) cease to work until I reboot the device.
Any clues?
Spz0 offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:09 pm

Spz0 wrote:So the cab file is not registering in tomtom home, so Im just going to extract the cab file to the device itself

Copying the cab files onto the unit itself is correct.

Spz0 wrote:But still no TTS voices

Delete the TTS folder and copy in your backup TTS folder.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Spz0 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:12 pm

Heres my info.log from TTN if this is of some help:
Code: Select all
2.6.13-tt563271
modelid: 35
modelname: TomTom XL IQ Routes Edition
Spz0 offline

Postby Spz0 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:31 pm

OK, another interesting find:
If I have a TTS voice selected, this causes my GPS to not be able to power down -- it just cycles.
BUT, if I have a regular voice (ie: Mandy), it will power down with no problems..

?0.o?
Spz0 offline

Postby Spz0 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:13 pm

Upon trolling the net, It seems a lot of other people are having this same issue, and none have resolved it. =\
Spz0 offline

Postby Spz0 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:26 pm

Spz0 wrote:Upon trolling the net, It seems a lot of other people are having this same issue, and none have resolved it. =\

Its an issue with LoquendoTTS.

I installed some VocalizerTTS voices, and it works like a charm.
Spz0 offline

Postby tendriver » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:40 am

Is the current NC for your unit 9.054? If so, what did you expect to gain by loading 9.160?
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about TomTom