Carminat tomtom bricked ?   

Carminat tomtom bricked ?

Postby NojTorrent » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:11 pm

Hi all,
After following the 10 steps tutorial for tomtom carminat (non live, 8.842 navcore and Bluetooth remote control), my carminat display lost the radio information and temperature display (on the bottom) and worse, the remote control do not sync anymore. So I can not use it anymore... switching back to the original sd card is not changing anything.

Can anyone help? At least a method to resync the remote... I tried the reset (on/off/remove card trick) twice, but without success.

Thanks for your help!
NojTorrent offline

Re: Carminat tomtom bricked ?

Postby NojTorrent » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:33 pm

After some investigations, I think I have messed up with the loopdir directory, and somehow my Clio 3 flash memory has been updated with my Scenic (without Bluetooth remote) settings. The remote works when I am in firmware upgrade mode, but seems to desactivate when loading the system. The ext3_loopback of my original SDCard seems to have been overwritten (no backup of a previous state unfortunately).

So if the features are set in the ttgo.bif file, mine has :
Features=PlusMobileSafetyCameras,PlusFixedSafetyCameras,HidRemote,HomeBackup,TTS,TTSCompressed,TTSLoquendo700,PhotoViewer,PhotoJPGViewer,PhotoBMPViewer,Newyork,Itinerary,Caymann,Durham,CarSymbol,RDSTMC,Bluetooth,SDSlot,InternalFlash,RDSTMCLocationTables

If someone has a Clio3 with integrated Tomtom, is it possible to share your ext_loopback file from the loopdir directory or to have a look in the ttgo.bif file ? (using explore2fs for example).

Thanks
NojTorrent offline

Postby NojTorrent » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:32 pm

Well, I got several ext3_loopback files from friends, I did not see much difference. When I put a SDCard with a Navcore ready to update, the carminat switches to "firmware upgrade" mode and the remote is working perfectly. But as soon as the systems loads, le sync with the remote is lost just before the disclaimer screen. I'm short of ideas, if anyone can help...
I contacted the Tomtom bv support for the lost of sync, they told me to go to the reset to factory defaults menu :lol:
NojTorrent offline

Postby tomtom01 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:28 pm

I have the same problem. Did you find a solution because I tried everything but I still do not have a solution?
tomtom01 offline

Banned Users

Postby NojTorrent » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:52 pm

Still no solution here. I asked for a friend from Renault to check (he has a special diag computer), and the NAV calculator returns unknown error codes (no more communication between the tomtom unit and the rest of the car). I tried all the solutions from tomtom bv suggesting me at the end to go to an authorized dealer... who suggested me to change the NAV unit (around 1000 euros).

The strange thing is that I managed to build a fake navcore update card (switching to same navcore) : and when booting into update mode, the remote works again... meaning that communication is ok between the main ICU and the NAV (there is still hope ;o)). But the communication stops as soon as the system is loaded.
NojTorrent offline

Postby tomtom01 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:12 pm

too the remote work when I made ​​a false update but after it no longer works again . I think I'll change my car! Thank you for your answer .
tomtom01 offline

Banned Users

Postby Downunder35m » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:46 am

I don't have access to a Carminat for testing, but maybe [Please Register or Login to download file] will work for your problem too.
But befre you do, try a reset first.
Have you try to reset the Carminat?

Turn off the car and turn off ignition.

Open driverside-door. The Carminat should then automatical turn off.

Eject the SD-Card.

Close the door.

Turn on ignition. The Carminat automatical start up.

Wait until the Carminat notify "No Map found" or similar.

Turn off ignition and open driverside-door again. The Carminat should then turn off again.

Close the door.

Insert SD-Card.

Turn ignition to on. The Carminat should start up again.

Try to use the little remote when Map and correct Time is displayed.

In case you need one, here is a link to the manual [Please Register or Login to download file] .
Users in the offical TT forum complain about similar problems with the remote, TT uses BT for the remote and if the pairing info is lost you can't pair it again as you need the remote for the menu on the device - Chicken and egg problem....
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby DDVR » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:15 am

I once had the same issue. only a dealer can reset the TT correctly. The cause of the malfunction was ( in my case) a short shortcircuit when putting the sd card in place. since then i put the sd card in verry carfully. after restteing everithing is perfect.
DDVR offline

Postby tomtom01 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:39 am

Thank you for your answer. I just try again but it just does not work.
tomtom01 offline

Banned Users

Postby Downunder35m » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:01 pm

Did you try the above suggestions?
Your answer makes it very hard to know what you tried...
And one more: Since quite few users reported that the remote itself stopped working, may I suggest to ask a friendly dealer if you can try a different remote to rule out a failure of the TT?
And if he is really friendly and the other remote does not work either ask him nicely if he can fix the problem as TT refered you to a dealer.
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tomtom01 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:54 pm

I did a reset: it does not work .
I change the memory card : it does not work .
I buy another remote control : it does not work .
I disconnected the battery of the car: it does not work .
What I do not understand: I created a memory card with the update navcore 8842 and there, the remote control works and the update is ok but after reboot the remote no longer works.
The dealer asked me 60 € for a diagnosis. And he will tell me to change the GPS(1000€) and if I refuse I lose 60€.
tomtom01 offline

Banned Users

Postby Downunder35m » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:41 am

Ok, if the Navcore works with the remote after installing it then there must be something the TT changes to wreck the remote.
No hardware failure but a software problem.
You dealer can't do anything about this and a diagnosis won't give you an answer - their systems won't check more on the TT than what you get by checking the information page on the device itself.
I am not familiar with the things Home puts on the SD for an update, but as long as the same Navcore is re-installed all settings will be kept and same for the files on the internal memory that don't come with the Navcore, like favourites, settings and so on.
It is just a shot into the blue but maybe....
Make a SD to get the remote working.
Change one or two of your favourites, e.g. rename or delete.
Change some settings in the menu, e.g. different voice, change menu language.
Turn the Carminat off the normal way and check if after the start the remote will still work.
Both the settings file for the map and the Navcore will be changed and hopefully one of them also contains the settings for the remote.
If the above does not help, try again and in the menu pair another BT device, if your phone is already connected remove that from the carminat and pair a different device.
This will change the pairing information and if corrupted (the original) it should keep the settings for the remote.
Not 100% if you can simply remove the remote from there too so you can pair it fresh, depends if you have to confirm something on the carminat for the pairing.
If none works I am seriously at the end of wisdom :(
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby NojTorrent » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:54 pm

The remote does not work when the navcore is loaded. The remote only works in the "firmware update mode" (looks like a Carminat specific mode) that checks the car internal memory navcore version and the available navcore in the SD (if any) for update. As soon as the navcore is loaded (at the welcome screen), the remote disconnects (unusable).

The problem does not seem to be in the SD card : I manage to build a fresh one using the sticky tutorial, and I also tried an exact backup from when it worked. But when using the diag tool, it returns unknown error codes, and the NAV system does not seem to be able to communicate with the car multimedia system (radio, temperature, Bluetooth connexions) (the diag tool is unable to check the NAV system status and access the settings like distance units).

I went to the dealer recently (for another matter), and according to him, there is a sync operation between the card and the vehicule with the VIN number of the vehicle. Putting another vehicule card seems to have corrupted this check (I think the number is written somewhere in the card during the initialization step of a blank card -when putting it into carminat, installing in the same time minimum home files-, but obviously not in a file, because copying all files into a blank SD card that has not been initialized does simply not work).

I am afraid this is not a something that can be solved with the SD card. The system needs in some way to be reinitialized, but all standard procedures (from tomtom BV or Renault dealers) are not working. But I am not loosing hope, if I have some news, I will let you know !

My Navcore is 8.842 (latest), and update to the same version does not do anything. But is there a way to update back to a former navcore (8.841 for example) to see if there is a more "deep" setting reset? I only managed to build a 8.842 update card via TTHome (faking a 8.841 version).

Thanks!
NojTorrent offline

Postby Downunder35m » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:44 am

Tomtom made it intentionnaly hard to access and modify their in car systems and new stand alone models.
Knowing that the remote functions are currupted for no good reason only shows the lack of good workmanship.
The only thing that pops into my mind for the original cause of the troubles would be the bootloader.
Is there any info on the screen of a Carminat showing the bootloader version?
If the remote was working before an update and failed after the update with a new BL, it might be possible to downgrade the bootloader similar to the normal TT models.
That is if TT actually includes new bootloaders and if they can be modified the same way like others.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby gaga24 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:51 am

So, i have the same problem. I have Scenic 2010, with carminat 8841 and Bt remote. So i decide to update navcore to latest 8842 using 10 simple steps. Everything went well and navigation works couple of days. Then i excidentally put sd card from different scenic, that has tomtom with joystick with same navcore and maps, i was searching tomtom player sd card and i make mistake.
After this bt remote stop working, only blue light blinking, but no connection. Nav vorks ok, i have time and temp display but cannot use any other funcions.
I did try fresh update with 8842 and 8841, open door reset, fuse reset ect, nothing!

But check this, tomtom sd card works, bt remote works with tomtom player.

What did other car sd card messup? How tomtom player works and nav dont with bt remote. What about options in ttgo.bif, do we have enable bt or ….. Any sugestion would be good.
gaga24 offline

Next

Return to General Discussions about TomTom