SD card for TT Rider 2013?   

SD card for TT Rider 2013?

Postby treysis » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:28 am

Hey guys,
do you think this looks like the interface for an SD card? Rider 2013 only has 4 GB of internal memory and I am looking to expand it. But nobody has done an SD mod so far, so I had a look at mine today.
How would I identify the SD slot? Is there a danger of breaking something when using trial and error (assuming I know what is VCC and GND).

treysis offline

Re: SD card for TT Rider 2013?

Postby pe1agp » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:48 pm

It looks very tempting to put an SD slot on it immediately, but it won't be that simple.

This is a newer Rider than the v2 I have.

But the device has 4GB of internal memory, you should be able to use a map with that.
Although Europa is slowly growing out of its coat and is 4,060,633k in size which is a problem for this Rider.
If you would leave out the cspeech files, you would still end up with a 3,828,724 k, which doesn't really help.

So the question arises, which map is desirable?

I am sure that my Rider v2 looks different on the inside, the SD slot is on the bottom next to the USB connection.
I know from the first version Riders that they were based on a TomTom One and there is a modification available for that.

I took my Rider v2 apart out of curiosity, but it can't be compared to that other photo. I think the easiest way is to buy a Rider v2 second hand, then all problems will be a thing of the past.

[Please Register or Login to download file]
pe1agp offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby treysis » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:14 pm

pe1agp wrote:It looks very tempting to put an SD slot on it immediately, but it won't be that simple.

Why not?

As for downgrading to a Rider V2, that's not an option. Screen of Rider 2013 is much better and bigger. Also 64 MB of RAM makes it a smoother experience. Also, Navcore 9.500 offers more options.

Furthermore, there are smaller maps, so this isn't really a problem. But it would be nice to be able to get back the whole Central Europe map. Also, it's more about the technical possibility. If it can be done, why not?
treysis offline

Postby pe1agp » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:45 am

With a new device you have certain advantages, but compared to the old Rider v2 you have a disadvantage again because an SD slot is missing, which limits your map choice.

When I bought this in 2009 it was only possible to use the original SD card, by updating the bootloader I now use up to 32GB SDHC cards.

I now also use the latest navcore and indeed the screen is smaller, hard to read in the sun and if I drive too fast on roads with many bends, the processor can't update it so quickly, but I still get everywhere.

I can't find it that quickly but there is a manual with pictures how to install an SD slot in a TomTom One, the processor will be completely different than the one in this new Rider, but it does give you the impression how to act if necessary.

Incidentally, Central Europe should not be a problem with 4GB, it only becomes a problem with the map of the whole of Europe. Even Central and Eastern Europe is no problem
pe1agp offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby treysis » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:00 pm

pe1agp wrote:With a new device you have certain advantages, but compared to the old Rider v2 you have a disadvantage again because an SD slot is missing, which limits your map choice.

Well, that's why I am looking into the possibility of adding an SD slot.

I can't find it that quickly but there is a manual with pictures how to install an SD slot in a TomTom One, the processor will be completely different than the one in this new Rider, but it does give you the impression how to act if necessary.

The CPU is not so different across all those TomTom devices of that era. Some Samsung ARM cpu. The PCBs are vastly different though. That's the tricky part.

Incidentally, Central Europe should not be a problem with 4GB, it only becomes a problem with the map of the whole of Europe. Even Central and Eastern Europe is no problem

The best choice for most people is probably indeed "Central Europe" (not to be confused with "Europe Central") as it includes all countries bordering the Alps (DE, AT, CH, IT, FR, LI, and some more: [Please Register or Login to download file] ). It's currently ~2.1 GB in size. And enough space left for some other map (e.g. covering Balkans, or UK, or Western Europe).

Looking at it again I am not so sure anymore this is actually an SD card interface. It might also be a port for a SIM card as it looks similar to a solder pad near the SIM card of a Go 750 Live. Although Live-Traffic (or HD Traffic?) was never implemented for the Rider 2013.
treysis offline

Postby treysis » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:51 pm

So, I got a cheap 2nd hand Rider 2013 to play around with. Let's see what I can get out of it.
treysis offline

Return to General Discussions about TomTom