TT SD card blank, reinstall in order to sell   

TT SD card blank, reinstall in order to sell

Postby crop_circlemaker » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:19 am

So heres the story. Connected my TT one to new PC and installed latest Home, connected my old TT up and Home wiped the 256mb card. I ordered a new one from Ebay, but in the meantime found this site and an old 4gb SD (which is now up and running - thanks). The Ebay SD card arrived and I sold it back on Ebay. The question is can I install all the software to the 256mb SD and sell that one on Ebay as it is an official TT SD I am reluctant to have it sit doing nothing - I would have used it in place of the 4GB one but it fell short of requirements by 30mb when installing the automatic software install. In short is it possible to get software on that redundant SD and sell it on Ebay?
crop_circlemaker offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:19 pm

crop_circlemaker wrote:So heres the story. Connected my TT one to new PC and installed latest Home, connected my old TT up and Home wiped the 256mb card. I ordered a new one from Ebay, but in the meantime found this site and an old 4gb SD (which is now up and running - thanks). The Ebay SD card arrived and I sold it back on Ebay. The question is can I install all the software to the 256mb SD and sell that one on Ebay as it is an official TT SD I am reluctant to have it sit doing nothing - I would have used it in place of the 4GB one but it fell short of requirements by 30mb when installing the automatic software install. In short is it possible to get software on that redundant SD and sell it on Ebay?

TT Home wouldn't "wipe" the card unless you told it to. Rather than ask if it is possible to get software on the SD card, try it & see. As for selling that small a card on ebay, you might get $1.00 for it.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby crop_circlemaker » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:48 pm

The card seemed to be wiped, I was using on my old PC TT home software from 2007, which was running cracked maps on. I connected it up to the new PC with the latest TT Home software and it spent an hour and a half showing it was transferring data, I thought it had hng so I unplugged and restarted, then when I looked at the root of the drive it said nothing there, I called TT and they confirmed it would do this if it was unplugged and I had to buy a new map, having searched on the internet I have found several other instances of updating HOME and it doing a similar thing. I have tried to get the software on it, and in order to do that I formatted the card and tried to use the install for dummies option on this site however there is not enough space on the card it needs an extra 30mb - even when I remove all voices and extra bits. The 128mb card I sold went for £10 on Ebay so I think its more a case of people wanting the card for what is on it rather than the size of it, what I have is an official TT SD which I would like to also sell. So is there a way of making the SD able to be sold on Ebay by putting all the root data on it including the maps and does that have any baring on TT Home being able to detect it - in this case the person who would be buying it will be wanting data which is not bending the rules.
crop_circlemaker offline

Postby djc151084 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:04 am

crop_circlemaker wrote:So is there a way of making the SD able to be sold on Ebay by putting all the root data on it including the maps and does that have any baring on TT Home being able to detect it - in this case the person who would be buying it will be wanting data which is not bending the rules.

To sell a cracked map/software on a sd card, the buyer must be aware of this because,
  • The map is cracked specific to the device it is going into using the unique 10 digit id (Different for all units) So unless you got the persons 10 digit ID this is not possible.
  • You will need to patch their copy of TThome. in case they use the "operate my device" feature.
djc151084 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby armadilo » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:52 pm

have you concidered using a unformat type program to look at the SD card. To see if anything could be recovered from it
i've managed to do this .

regards
armadilo offline

Postby crop_circlemaker » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:54 pm

Thanks, yes I recovered some data from it using EASEUS Data recovery, however it organised it in folders which were not names as their original names. I guess a question I need to know is is there a basic set of SD root files and folders which if put on the SD card will enable it to be used in any TT One? I am a bit inexperienced with the finer workings of the SD card root files but given the information to get the 4gb card working it looked as though you needed the devices unique ID to get it working is this the only way to get a card going? I ask as there are TT SD cards being sold on Ebay but they don't appear to be sold with any understanding of the 10 digit ID
crop_circlemaker offline

Postby djc151084 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:43 pm

crop_circlemaker wrote:is is there a basic set of SD root files and folders which if put on the SD card will enable it to be used in any TT One?

No this can not be done, some devices accept some navcore and some do not, there is rules to wich navcore to use when upgrading, also for a map to work you do need the device Unique ID number this can be found in the ttgo.bif file wich is created by the device automaticlly.
djc151084 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby tendriver » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:54 pm

crop_circlemaker wrote:Thanks, yes I recovered some data from it using EASEUS Data recovery, however it organised it in folders which were not names as their original names. I guess a question I need to know is is there a basic set of SD root files and folders which if put on the SD card will enable it to be used in any TT One? I am a bit inexperienced with the finer workings of the SD card root files but given the information to get the 4gb card working it looked as though you needed the devices unique ID to get it working, am I right on this?

The following info is based on a store bought SD Card. I have no experience with a TomTom card. No, there is no basic set of SD card files or folders. djc was explaining that maps are device specific, whether you buy it from TT or download it from a forum and patch it. A card that you have loaded a navcore & map on & have working on your device, will not work on another unit until it has been patched for that unit.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby crop_circlemaker » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:59 pm

so the TT SD cards being sold on Ebay will not work if you put in the TT then?
[Please Register or Login to download file]
crop_circlemaker offline

Postby tendriver » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:16 pm

crop_circlemaker wrote:so the TT SD cards being sold on Ebay will not work if you put in the TT then?

I took a peek at ebay. It appears that the TT cards have a registration number to activate them.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby djc151084 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:17 pm

crop_circlemaker wrote:so the TT SD cards being sold on Ebay will not work if you put in the TT then?

No it will not, as tendriver said it will need to be patchd to run on another unit other than the unit it was setup for ;)
djc151084 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby djc151084 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:20 pm

tendriver wrote:I took a peek at ebay. It appears that the TT cards have a registration number to activate them.

I have a tt card with UK & ROI maps on from my dads tomtom, think i have the backup of it on my pc , and that sd card would not run in my 720 without patching, as i tried it. So i dont think this is the story for all the tomtom sd cards ??
djc151084 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby crop_circlemaker » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:23 pm

ah yes of course like the one I got when I got my Tomtom, I had forgotten about that. Thanks
crop_circlemaker offline

Postby tendriver » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:25 pm

djc151084 wrote:I have a tt card with UK & ROI maps on from my dads tomtom, think i have the backup of it on my pc , and that sd card would not run in my 720 without patching, as i tried it. So i dont think this is the story for all the tomtom sd cards ??

Did you have the registration number to try before you patched it? I suspect it is a 1 time use number.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby djc151084 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:29 pm

tendriver wrote:Did you have the registration number to try before you patched it? I suspect it is a 1 time use number.

i didnt no, my dad just asked me to update it for him, so he give me the unit and the sd card workd in his device fine, but then when i tried in my device just out of curiosity it did not, but i then went and patchd the map using my device ID from the 720 and it worked in the 720.

I imagine if you buy 1 of these cards that is new you get a 1 time activation number to activate it in your device, but if you are buying a second hand used one i can not see it working without patching

??

thanks
djc
djc151084 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about TomTom