Cannot transfer map folder onto Wince 4.2 device   

Cannot transfer map folder onto Wince 4.2 device

Postby Hotpants » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:06 am

Hi all; following my success on getting TomTom on a Blaupunkt the other day, another friend asked me to have a go with his two oldish units. They are old Myguide units, but I had already put iGo8 onto both of them. I altered the addons.txt file on one unit running Wince5 with no problem, and the TomTom works fine. However, the unit running 4.2 is not playing ball!

I have added the 7.450 Navigator folder provided by fatboyfun's link successfully, but the map folder refuses to copy across, normally with the dat files causing the problem, saying the unit has been disconnected or turned off. I noticed from the original link that TomTom 7 will not work on 4.2, but what is the reason for it? The unit shows the TomTom icon in the menu and loads, but says no maps found (in French, which I know is standard for this navcore to start with), but I cannot copy the map across (UK & ROI 880.3866) into either the flash disk or the storage card folder. Space is not an issue as I moved the old maps out to try it.

Am I better giving up and trying to update the iGo8 on it instead?

Cheers

Hotpants
Hotpants offline

User avatar Member

Postby Downunder35m » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:09 am

If file transfer is the problem than it could work and the problem is not related to TT eiter.
Some older devices must be connected using Active sync - maybe that is your problem.
If you try to unpack the map files from the archive to the device it may fail as well, you should unpack on the PC and after that transfer the whole folder to the unit.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby Hotpants » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:16 am

Downunder35m wrote:If file transfer is the problem than it could work and the problem is not related to TT eiter.
Some older devices must be connected using Active sync - maybe that is your problem.
If you try to unpack the map files from the archive to the device it may fail as well, you should unpack on the PC and after that transfer the whole folder to the unit.

Hi Downunder35m. As i'm using Windows 7 it comes with Windows Mobile Device Center. It picks up the unit Ok, and I can navigate through the folders on it (although on both devices it does not show the space free and used etc). I unpacked the map to my desktop and tried copying across into either the storage card or flash disk, without success. I have tried copying the files one by one, again with no joy. It seems to be the dat files that refuse to copy, and the device loses connection with the PC when I move them :(.

Thanks for the help.

Regards

Hotpants
Hotpants offline

User avatar Member

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:46 am

Activesync/WMDC is a pain for transferring files, and also Tomtom Navigator 7 does not work properly under WinCE 4.2 anyway, You'll get the "not enough memory" error on satellite lock. I recommend updating iGO, possibly to Primo depending on the hardware.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Hotpants » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:14 pm

Thanks for the feedback Fatboyfun. I think it is a 64 MB unit, but not too sure. The only manual I could find was in Polish! I presume if the addons.txt file is working, then all I need to do is copy over a more up to date map. I think the one that was on it was a couple of years old. Do you have a link at all to the latest iGO maps? It seems that the unit will only recognise a 2GB SD card, so my mate might have to stick with a UK map, or get a secondary SD card and swap it if he wants Western Europe? (I have had a look at the IGO maps section on the site, but not sure whether I would need Teleatlas or navteq maps, and what 'navcore' equivalent I would need.

Regards

Hotpants
Hotpants offline

User avatar Member

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:52 pm

Start a new thread in the iGO section and we'll sort you out... :)
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Hotpants » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:32 pm

Done :)

Thanks again
Hotpants offline

User avatar Member

Return to General Discussions about TomTom