Can you Activate a map without a Internet Connection?   

Can you Activate a map without a Internet Connection?

Postby oldfogy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:58 pm

I would like to be able to take my laptop to my friends house to install a new map, but even with downloading the relevant META file and trying the FastActivate or AutoActivate neither of them will activate the map, I know the map works as I have it on my own system.

So basically is there a way of activating a map without a internet connection?

Thanks.
oldfogy offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby tendriver » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:16 pm

oldfogy wrote:but even with downloading the relevant META file and trying the FastActivate or AutoActivate neither of them will activate the map,

Detailed info please!!
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby oldfogy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:45 pm

These are some older details of my own system, so if I can do it on that then I should also be able to install and activate the map on my friends TT XL (XL being the only difference.)

The XL has a HDD, whereas my One v2 has a SD card, but I am reasonably good on PC's and TT installs.

The map to be installed will be:
UK_and_ROI_885_4009

TTGO.BIF:
DeviceName=TomTom ONE
DeviceVersionHW=ONE (v2)
BootLoaderVersion=55244
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=8410
ApplicationVersion=1218
CurrentMap=Europe_875_3613
CurrentMapVersion=875.3613
oldfogy offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:58 pm

That's helpful info, but I need detailed info about

but even with downloading the relevant META file and trying the FastActivate or AutoActivate neither of them will activate the map

as requested in post 2.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby oldfogy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:11 pm

Sorry I don't know what other info I can give you!

I can install and activate the map as per norm 'providing I have a internet connection'

But when I place the updated META.txt file in the root folder (which we know works), then without a internet connection AutoActivate says it can't find the file to download, 'but the file is in the root already, so the map does not get activated.
oldfogy offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:45 pm

oldfogy wrote:So basically is there a way of activating a map without a internet connection?

Yes, read AutoActivate & FastActivate 1.8.8.1 Method 3. I just tested it using FA, to be sure of the correct answer.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby oldfogy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:31 pm

tendriver wrote:Yes, read AutoActivate & FastActivate 1.8.8.1 Method 3. I just tested it using FA, to be sure of the correct

answer.
But did you try it with your internet connection disabled/disconnected?

Because it still says it can't find a connection, the TTgo.bif file is the original from this card that worked previously, the META.txt file is updated and includes the new map, Auto & FastActive have are all placed in the root of the card (not the root of the map)

Basically what I have done is just remove the old map and copied over the new map, which without a internet connection does not want to activate.

This is the message that is displayed:

..:: TomTom Auto Activate v1.8 ::..
________________________________________________________________________________

ERROR: Could not get file time on server. Check your Internet connection
Integrated meta.txt enabled

Press any key to continue . . .
oldfogy offline

Postby t6eh2 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:41 pm

Try to rename the relevant meta.txt to mymeta.txt.
t6eh2 offline

Postby oldfogy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:22 pm

t6eh2 wrote:Try to rename the relevant meta.txt to mymeta.txt.
Thanks very much that solved the problem.

Although it's now solved, there were a couple of points that might be worth mentioning, if anyone else needs to do this:

1. It did not seem to like MYMETA.TXT being in caps (it was already in caps so I just put the MY at the beginning)
Once I put it in small letters 'mymeta.txt' it worked ok.

2. I discovered after any failed attempt it actually overwrote the meta file with one that did not contain the updated information, so just beware and make a copy of the meta file first.

3. Don't know if it makes any difference but I used 'AutoActivate_04.02.2012_v1.8.8.1.exe'

Thanks to both of you for your perseverance and help.

oldfogy offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:38 pm

oldfogy wrote:So basically is there a way of activating a map without a internet connection?

tendriver wrote:Yes, read AutoActivate & FastActivate 1.8.8.1 Method 3. I just tested it using FA, to be sure of the correct answer.

oldfogy wrote:1. But did you try it with your internet connection disabled/disconnected?

2. Because it still says it can't find a connection, the TTgo.bif file is the original from this card that worked previously, the META.txt file is updated and includes the new map, Auto & FastActive have are all placed in the root of the card (not the root of the map)

1. What was your question above & what was my answer??????
2. I specified Method 3, which apparently you didn't follow. You also missed reading AutoActivate & FastActivate 1.8.8.1 Note 1.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby tendriver » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:48 pm

oldfogy wrote:Thanks very much that solved the problem.

Although it's now solved, there were a couple of points that might be worth mentioning, if anyone else needs to do this:

1. It did not seem to like MYMETA.TXT being in caps (it was already in caps so I just put the MY at the beginning)
Once I put it in small letters 'mymeta.txt' it worked ok.

2. I discovered after any failed attempt it actually overwrote the meta file with one that did not contain the updated information, so just beware and make a copy of the meta file first.

3. Don't know if it makes any difference but I used 'AutoActivate_04.02.2012_v1.8.8.1.exe'

Thanks to both of you for your perseverance and help.

1. This is covered in AutoActivate & FastActivate 1.8.8.1 Note 1
3. This is covered in AutoActivate & FastActivate 1.8.8.1 Note 2: (AutoActivate)
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby oldfogy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:31 pm

tendriver wrote:1. What was your question above & what was my answer??????
2. I specified Method 3, which apparently you didn't follow. You also missed reading AutoActivate & FastActivate 1.8.8.1 Note 1.

Obviously not properly, but I did read the various methods, the problem was I did not read all the way down to the very bottom of the page, once the examples started to show, I obviously only skimmed through the rest of the information instead of reading it more carefully.

The main thing it's now working.

Thanks.
oldfogy offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:47 pm

oldfogy wrote:Obviously not properly, but I did read the various methods, the problem was I did not read all the way down to the very bottom of the page, once the examples started to show, I obviously only skimmed through the rest of the information instead of reading it more carefully.

You would have saved several people a lot of time, if you had read it more carefully. Hopefully a lesson learned by an "oldfogy".
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby oldfogy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:56 pm

:grouphug:
oldfogy offline

Return to General Discussions about TomTom