Can't Restore The Back-up Data   

Can't Restore The Back-up Data

Postby robcal » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:40 pm

Hi,

I've been trying to update my maps (Western Europe, from 2006!) today and have been reading lots of very helpful advice on the forum. I made sure that I backed up my TomTom One XL before doing anything. I downloaded a new map upgrade, but there wasn't enough memory on the device to install it. I then decided to put the original map back on, but there wasn't enough memory for it. I've since tried to restore the system to the original backup I made, but it's failed and suggest that there are missing files, but it doesn't say which.

Any ideas what I can do to get it working, or is there a way of downloading the software from somewhere? Any advice is greatly appreciated as I going on holiday in a couple of days!

Thanks,

Rob

EDIT: I've since managed to restore the backup, but there's now no map installed and not enough room to re-install the original map. According to TomTom Home there's 978mb of memory on the device, with installed items taking up 291mb, leaving me with 686mb. The map takes up 922mb! Help!
robcal offline

Re: Can't Restore The Back-up Data

Postby tendriver » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:16 am

robcal wrote:1. I've since managed to restore the backup, but there's now no map installed and not enough room to re-install the original map.
2. According to TomTom Home there's 978mb of memory on the device, with installed items taking up 291mb, leaving me with 686mb. The map takes up 922mb! Help

1. How did you make your back-up?
2. A navcore, on average, is only 50MB. What else do you have installed, that is taking up around 240MB?
I do not give help by PM. It deprives our other members of a chance to learn. Please post your issue in the appropriate forum/thread. You will get an answer.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby robcal » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:24 pm

1. I backed it up using Tomtom Home - in hindsight I now realise it was probably better to do it in Windows Explorer.
2. I've not installed anything else since the backup that I know of. The contents are shown below:

robcal offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:34 am

robcal wrote:1. I backed it up using Tomtom Home - in hindsight I now realise it was probably better to do it in Windows Explorer.
2. I've not installed anything else since the backup that I know

1. Your hindsight is 20/20 spot on.
2. Which Western Europe map are you trying to load?
I do not give help by PM. It deprives our other members of a chance to learn. Please post your issue in the appropriate forum/thread. You will get an answer.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby robcal » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:21 am

tendriver wrote:
robcal wrote:1. I backed it up using Tomtom Home - in hindsight I now realise it was probably better to do it in Windows Explorer.
2. I've not installed anything else since the backup that I know

1. Your hindsight is 20/20 spot on.
2. Which Western Europe map are you trying to load?

I was trying to install map 930.5601, Western Europe. To be honest any map of Western Europe would do - even my original one, but I've no idea how to get it back on / what is taking up so much of the memory.
robcal offline

Postby robcal » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:51 pm

UPDATE:

I've bought a 2gb SD card. I've installed all of the back up data onto it and when I use it in the computer under Tomtom Home, it works perfectly. When I put it in the actual Tomtom device, it never gets off the loading screen.

Anyone able to help? All I want is to be able to use the device with the original western europe map on.
robcal offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:29 pm

robcal wrote:1. when I use it in the computer under Tomtom Home, it works perfectly.
2. When I put it in the actual Tomtom device, it never gets off the loading screen.

1. TT Home "Operate my device" is just an emulation/simulation and is worthless for any testing!!
2. Try a 30 second "hard reset".
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about TomTom