Can't Get Mapshare working   

Can't Get Mapshare working

Postby grantk » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:21 pm

I recently purchased a Go 730. I updated the application from TomTom Home from 8010 to 8351. I have 810 North American 2GB map. Mapshare updated and everything was fine.

I purchased a 16GB SD card and installed Navcore 9.205 and the North American 2GB 855.2884 map.

I patched the map using AutoActivate.exe and the Go 730 works fine. I can use Bluetooth, FM Transmitter, and everything else.

When I connect the TomTom to my PC (I selected the SD card), and run TomTom Home 2.7, TomTom Home wants to update my application to 8351. I don't let it and it tells me there are no other updates (except for the free update I get with my 30 day Guaranteed Map update). I don't update the map because I think I'll wait a little longer before doing that.

Anyways, there are no updates for Mapshare. I tried connecting the SD card to my card reader instead and running TomTom Home. When I try to Join Mapshare, it says:

"TomTom Map Share is not supported either for your device or for the map you are using."

I'm not sure how to get this to work.

I also have a TomTom One v4 which I updated to the North American 2GB 855.2884 map,a and 8417 Navcore and it has no problems with Mapshare. I use both devices on the same PC, but use 2 different login accounts.

I thought maybe TomTom Home is getting confused with 2 devices on the same system, so I tried installing TomTom Home at work, but I run into the same problem.

How can I get Mapshare to work on my Go 730?

Grant
grantk offline

Postby grantk » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:34 pm

I am wondering if TomTom Home thinks that the Navcore 9.205 and map 855.8244 are not compatible. Since the 9.205 is pretty new, and the Rider 3 (from what I can tell) was released in Europe, does TomTom Home think that the North America 2GB map should be 8.6x (or something higher than 855.2884)?

I think I will try to use 9.053 and the 855.2884 map to see if TomTom Home likes this combination. If this works, then I'll try with the 860 North American 2GB map and 9.205 Navcore.

Grant
grantk offline

Postby tendriver » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:49 pm

grantk wrote: 1. I am wondering if TomTom Home thinks that the Navcore 9.205 and map 855.8244 are not compatible. Since the 9.205 is pretty new, and the Rider 3 (from what I can tell) was released in Europe, does TomTom Home think that the North America 2GB map should be 8.6x (or something higher than 855.2884)?

2. I think I will try to use 9.053 and the 855.2884 map to see if TomTom Home likes this combination. If this works, then I'll try with the 860 North American 2GB map and 9.205 Navcore.

Grant

1. You can quit wondering. The answer is no.
2. I ran 9.205 & NA 2GB 855.2884 with no problem getting mapshare updates. I currently have 9.205 & NA 2GB 860.3101.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby grantk » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:13 pm

Hmm..if you have it working, then there shouldn't be problem. I have the Navcore 8.351, with 810 NA 2GB map on the internal memory, and the 9.205 & NA 2GB 855 on the SD card.

I used the basic pack and installed it on my SD card (after formatting it). I copied the ttgo.bif from the internal memory to the SD card. I then copied the NA map, and ran AutoActivate to patch the map.

I'll retry the steps above and see what happens.
grantk offline

Postby tendriver » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:46 pm

grantk wrote:Hmm..if you have it working, then there shouldn't be problem. I have the Navcore 8.351, with 810 NA 2GB map on the internal memory, and the 9.205 & NA 2GB 855 on the SD card.

I used the basic pack and installed it on my SD card (after formatting it). I copied the ttgo.bif from the internal memory to the SD card. I then copied the NA map, and ran AutoActivate to patch the map.

I'll retry the steps above and see what happens.

You don't mention patching the navcore. FFR, we don't recommend formatting, except in extreme cases.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby grantk » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:40 am

So here is what I did.

1. Delete everything from the SD card.
2. Copy contents from X_Navcore.9.205.547817.1.Basicpack.rar to SD card.
3. Copy ttsystem (nothing else) from X_ttsystem.9.205.547817.1.rar to SD card.
4. Copy North America 2GB map to SD card.
5. Put it into the Go 730 and boot up. When confronted with which map to use, I select the internal map (also North America 2GB).
6. Unit boots and I check the Version Info screen and it is using Navcore 9.205 and map version 810 (from internal memory). ttgo.bif is created.
7. Shut down unit and place SD card into my card reader.
8. Run FastActivate.exe and patch map/voices.speedcams. Since I did step 3, no need to patch ttsystem.
9. Install TomTom Home 2.7 (I had uninstalled it earlier in the day).
10. Place SD card back in Go 730 and boot it up. This time I switch maps to the 855.2884 North America 2GB map. So far no problems.
11. Connect Go 730 to PC and launch TomTom Home.
12. It complains about in incorrect version of application on my device. I click ok button to continue on.
13. It tells me that there is a new map 860 available. I have LMG, but I do not wish to download it at present.
14. I go to Tools|Map Share and and select How To Join. It tells me:
"TomTom Map Share is not supported either for your device or for the map you are using."

I know I can get around the error message in step 12 by creating a Config folder, and placing the version.txt file in that folder. I would the following in the file:

A:8351
B:9982

This should generate a ttgo.bak, and ttgo.ori on the SD card.

I still cannot get Mapshare to work for my map. I also tried going to Navcore 9.503 and received the same results.

If also tried removing the SD card (16GB) and using the internal memory, I get MapShare updates.

I'm not sure what bootloader I have on the internal memory (I'll check that) as I am just downloading the 860 map to my internal memory as TomTom Home suggests it.

Is TomTom Home getting confused because I have Navcore 8.351 on the internal memory, but 9.205 on the SD card?

tendriver, do you have a different Navcore on your SD versus internal memory?

I am stumped.
grantk offline

Postby Downunder35m » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:39 am

If you never used mapshare before with that device or under certain circumtances it will be impossible to get mapshare working and you get the error you mentioned in post #1

Not sure if it will work for you but I solved it on my device the following way :
Edit the ttgo.bif on you device/SD card so that you have the version numbers for the original Navcore in it.
That would be :
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=[color=darkgreen]8351
ApplicationVersion=9982[/color]

If you use a card reader you can go ahead if you use internal memory you have to press the reset button on your TTand connect to the PC.
Turn the device on and it will connect to the PC without booting the Navcore.
Make sure you are not logged in when using Home, you don't need you account info.
Try again to get mapshare, if no luck use "Operate my Go" to activate mapshare on the device.
After that you should receive mapshare without further problems.Please don't get confused with the ttgo.bak, in this case you really have to edit the ttgo.bif and don't start the device after that as it will overwrite the changes to the ttgo.bif!

Once mapshare was activatet it will work with your normal ttgo.bif that is created at the next start anyway.
It seems to be part of the new security features that Home needs a little "kick" to give you mapshare.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tendriver » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:32 pm

grantk wrote:3. Copy ttsystem (nothing else) from X_ttsystem.9.205.547817.1.rar to SD card.
13. It tells me that there is a new map 860 available. I have LMG, but I do not wish to download it at present.
A. Is TomTom Home getting confused because I have Navcore 8.351 on the internal memory, but 9.205 on the SD card?
B. tendriver, do you have a different Navcore on your SD versus internal memory?

3. You must copy the PNDNavigator file, as well as, the ttsystem file to the card root.
13. I don't understand the logic of this.
A. No.
B. Yes.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby grantk » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:04 am

I finally got it working. Thanks to tendriver and Downunder35m for all your help. I think the biggest problem I had was that I changed the ttgo.bif file too soon. I changed the two lines in the ttgo.bif to 8351 and 9982 after patching the map but before running TomTom HOME. In any case I wrote a HUGE document for myself on the order to do things so that they will work.

I grabbed the 860.3100 map and got 600+ Mapshare updates. I decided to use the LMG, and I got the 860.3101 NA 2GB map. I assume there are no official TomTom updates for this map as of yet. The Mapshare dialog box in TomTom HOME tells me that my map is more than 20 weeks out of date and that Mapshare is temporarily unavailable.

Grant
grantk offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:37 am

grantk wrote:I finally got it working. Thanks to tendriver and Downunder35m for all your help.
1. I think the biggest problem I had was that I changed the ttgo.bif file too soon. I changed the two lines in the ttgo.bif to 8351 and 9982 after patching the map but before running TomTom HOME. In any case I wrote a HUGE document for myself on the order to do things so that they will work.

I grabbed the 860.3100 map and got 600+ Mapshare updates. I decided to use the LMG, and I got the 860.3101 NA 2GB map. I assume there are no official TomTom updates for this map as of yet. The Mapshare dialog box in TomTom HOME tells me that my map is more than 20 weeks out of date and that Mapshare is temporarily unavailable.

Grant

1. It does not matter when you edit the ttgo.bif file to create a ttgo.bak file. The major consideration is that you do it correctly. As a technique, after I install a new navcore, I reboot & run TT Home to see if I get the "version error" message.

2. I don't know what you call "a huge document", but here is my "huge" instructions for updating.

Make a backup of your current setup using Windows Explorer.
Download this map: North_America_2GB_860.3101
Download this navcore: [Please Register or Login to download file] + X_ttsystem.9.205.547817.1
Download AutoActivate 27.11.2010 {1.4.4} Read the info in this link.
Remove the old map folder & copy in the new.
Copy in the Navcore & only the SE ttsystem & PNDNavigator files from the rar, overwriting any common files.
If you are using a SD card, place a copy of the device's ttgo.bif file on the card before patching.
Run AutoActivate. DONE!!__________________

I have a 720 loaded with NA 2GB 860.3101 since 11/17. I have not received an update yet.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Downunder35m » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:27 am

I think if you check my last post you'll notice that I actually suggested using the ttgo.bif with the values of the original Navcore for the device.
I got the "deviceor map not compatible" error from Home with a few devices since the 855 maps.
When changing the ttgo.bif (without restarting the TT of course) Home accepts the device and map for mapshare, you only need to activate mapshare on the device and Home again.
This trick does not work for the "20 weeks... no updates avialable" error.
Home uses the ttgo.bak for the rest but it seems to (re-)activate mapshare after a problem this was the only trick that I found working so far.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby grantk » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:17 am

Downunder35m wrote:I think if you check my last post you'll notice that I actually suggested using the ttgo.bif with the values of the original Navcore for the device.
I got the "deviceor map not compatible" error from Home with a few devices since the 855 maps.
When changing the ttgo.bif (without restarting the TT of course) Home accepts the device and map for mapshare, you only need to activate mapshare on the device and Home again.
This trick does not work for the "20 weeks... no updates avialable" error.
Home uses the ttgo.bak for the rest but it seems to (re-)activate mapshare after a problem this was the only trick that I found working so far.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the ttgo.bif editing trick allows TomTom HOME to no longer show the error message about the incorrect version of the application on my device, as well as allowing you to download any Mapshare updates.

I'm not sure why I am getting the "20 weeks...no updates message", however, I found that if I go to the pulldown menu in TomTom HOME and select Tools, TomTom Map Share, Map Share Preferences, I have found that the Countries tab on longer lists the NA map (and the countries (Canada, US, Puerto Rico) and states) that it used to before I updated to the 860.3101 map. I had Mapshare updates when I had the 860.3100 map on my SD card.

Looking at the ttgo.bif and ttgo.bak file, I just noticed that the following lines exist:
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=8351
ApplicationVersion=9982
CurrentMap=North_America_2GB_860_3100
CurrentMapVersion=860.3100

The ttgo.ori has the following lines:
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=9205
ApplicationVersion=547817.1
CurrentMap=North_America_2GB
CurrentMapVersion=860.3101

Hmm...My 860.3100 map was in a folder called North_America_2GB_860_3100. After I let TomTom HOME update my map to the 860.3101 map, the folder on my SD card is now called North_America_2GB. Looks like TomTom HOME renamed my map folder (or just deleted my 860.3100 map folder) to North_America_2GB.

I am going to try to chage the ttgo.bak, and ttgo.bif lines to match the ttgo.ori lines and see what happens.
grantk offline

Postby grantk » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:26 am

Well, changing the lines in the ttgo.bak and ttgo.bif doesn't make a difference regarding the "20 weeks...no updates available" message.
grantk offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:28 am

grantk wrote:If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the ttgo.bif editing trick allows TomTom HOME to no longer show the error message about the incorrect version of the application on my device, as well as allowing you to download any Mapshare updates.

I'm not sure why I am getting the "20 weeks...no updates message", however, I found that if I go to the pulldown menu in TomTom HOME and select Tools, TomTom Map Share, Map Share Preferences, I have found that the Countries tab on longer lists the NA map (and the countries (Canada, US, Puerto Rico) and states) that it used to before I updated to the 860.3101 map. I had Mapshare updates when I had the 860.3100 map on my SD card.

Looking at the ttgo.bif and ttgo.bak file, I just noticed that the following lines exist:
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=8351
ApplicationVersion=9982
CurrentMap=North_America_2GB_860_3100
CurrentMapVersion=860.3100

The ttgo.ori has the following lines:
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=9205
ApplicationVersion=547817.1
CurrentMap=North_America_2GB
CurrentMapVersion=860.3101

Hmm...My 860.3100 map was in a folder called North_America_2GB_860_3100. After I let TomTom HOME update my map to the 860.3101 map, the folder on my SD card is now called North_America_2GB. Looks like TomTom HOME renamed my map folder (or just deleted my 860.3100 map folder) to North_America_2GB.

I am going to try to chage the ttgo.bak, and ttgo.bif lines to match the ttgo.ori lines and see what happens.

Downunder's trick will not work in your case.

Don't change anything but the map in the ttgo.bak file.

The map folder name is irrelevant. Call it abc, if you so desire.

YOU can't change the values in the .bif file. That is the purpose of the .bak file.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Shadowcat » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:59 pm

I have allmost the same problem. I have a tomtom go 730, navcore 9.205 and western and central europe 860.3101

When i start tomtom home and it starts to search for updates it only finds quick gps updates. In de top right corner there is a red message saying: "Your card hasnt been updated for 20 weeks. Map-share corrections are not available at this moment."
I first thought that it had something to do with the tomtom service not available. But when i install my 855 europe map again it finds map-share updates without a problem.

So definitely a problem with the 860 map in seems
Shadowcat offline

Next

Return to General Discussions about TomTom