Bootloader for TT ONE XL   

Bootloader for TT ONE XL

Postby madaload » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Hello,

I've been searching this forum for about an hour now, but I don't seem to find any links to Bootloaders. I found the comparison chart, but no download links or tutorials about how to update the bootloader.

I need to update mine in order to use 4GB SDHC card. Can anyone help?

My device is currently running with Bootloader 5.5010
madaload offline

Postby tendriver » Sun May 01, 2011 12:10 am

madaload wrote:Hello,

I've been searching this forum for about an hour now, but I don't seem to find any links to Bootloaders. I found the comparison chart, but no download links or tutorials about how to update the bootloader.

I need to update mine in order to use 4GB SDHC card. Can anyone help?

My device is currently running with Bootloader 5.5010

You don't see any bootloader links or tutorials, because EVERY navcore has it's own bootloader included. Any navcore 8.300 w/ bootloader 5.5015 or higher supports the large SDHC cards.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby lemoni » Sun May 01, 2011 12:12 am

A bootloader is included with the navcore. You CAN install a bootloader separately by simply copying it into the navcore, but it's best to simply update your device in TomTom HOME if you are using the official navcore for your model.

Be very careful with bootloaders. It is not recommended to upgrade a bootloader if it's working properly. Bootloader version 5.015 or higher will support SDHC cards. If you also need to upgrade your navcore (which will give you a higher bootlader), then some of the most common navcores for the old ONE XL (32Mb RAM) are 8.412 SE, 8.560 SE and 8.562 SE. The most common bootloaders for this model are 5.5128 and 5.5136, but other bootloaders can work just as well.
TomTom GO 730, Navcore 9.051c, 64Mb RAM, Australia 900.4602, Bootloader: 5.5250
TomTom ONE v1, Navcore 9.170SE, 32Mb RAM, Australia 900.4602, Bootloader: 5.5244
lemoni offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby tendriver » Sun May 01, 2011 1:21 am

lemoni wrote:1. A bootloader is included with the navcore. Bootloader version 5.015 or higher will support SDHC cards.
2. You CAN install a bootloader separately by simply copying it into the navcore,
3. but it's best to simply update your device in TomTom HOME if you are using the official navcore for your model.

Be very careful with bootloaders.
4. It is not recommended to upgrade a bootloader if it's working properly. If you also need to upgrade your navcore (which will give you a higher bootlader), then some of the most common navcores for the old ONE XL (32Mb RAM) are 8.412 SE, 8.560 SE and 8.562 SE.
5. The most common bootloaders for this model are 5.5128 and 5.5136, but other bootloaders can work just as well.

1. Thanx for the confirmation.
2. Navitotal doesn't recommend this.
3. Would you happen to know the current official navcore for an ONE XL?
4. I don't subscribe to this notion.
5. You are contradicting yourslf.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Downunder35m » Sun May 01, 2011 2:04 am

For the ONE XL it is 8.010 and for the XL 30 the 8.014.
The 8.010 contains BL 5.3026, for the 8.014 I have no Cab to check.
The 8.412 would contain the 5.5128 BL by default.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby lemoni » Sun May 01, 2011 2:10 am

tendriver wrote:1. Thanx for the confirmation.
2. Navitotal doesn't recommend this.
3. Would you happen to know the current official navcore for an ONE XL?
4. I don't subscribe to this notion.
5. You are contradicting yourslf.

1. Cool, although I didn't see your reply while I was typing my post.
2. Agreed. Neither do I.
3. Last time I updated a ONE XL, the official navcore was 8.010
4. madaload may need to upgrade the navcore and therefore automatically upgrade the bootloader. These are 3 common navcores that I have tested and recommend.
5. It's not a contradiction. I'm simply stating which bootloaders are most common for ONE XL models.
TomTom ONE v1, Navcore 9.170SE, 32Mb RAM, Australia 900.4602, Bootloader: 5.5244
lemoni offline

Postby tendriver » Sun May 01, 2011 2:36 am

lemoni wrote:
3. Last time I updated a ONE XL, the official navcore was 8.010
4. madaload may need to upgrade the navcore and therefore automatically upgrade the bootloader. These are 3 common navcores that I have tested and recommend.
5. It's not a contradiction. I'm simply stating which bootloaders are most common for ONE XL models.

3. So upgrading thru TT Home won't accomplish madaload's request, since 8010's b/l is 5.4106.
4. madaload will need to upgrade his navcore. There are 5 9.XXX navcores that Navitotal recommends.
5. Would not 5.4106 be the most common, since 8010 is the currrent official navcore?
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby lemoni » Sun May 01, 2011 3:11 am

tendriver wrote:3. So upgrading thru TT Home won't accomplish madaload's request, since 8010's b/l is 5.4106.
4. madaload will need to upgrade his navcore. There are 5 9.XXX navcores that Navitotal recommends.
5. Would not 5.4106 be the most common, since 8010 is the currrent official navcore?

Oh I understand what you mean now. Therefore if all ONE XL models were just running the latest official navcores, then all of them won't have high enough bootloaders for support of SDHC cards. I wasn't aware the bootloader that comes with the ONE XL official navcore 8010 is that low.

So at some point, the ONE XLs which I have seen with a higher bootloader version (for eg. 5.5128) have at some stage been upgraded with a different navcore other than the official one, and of course the higher bootloader has remained, even if the official 8.010 navcore has been re-installed.

Thanks for clearing this up tendriver and Downunder. I hope I haven't confused anyone with my post.

Cheers
lemoni offline

Postby tendriver » Sun May 01, 2011 3:36 am

lemoni wrote:1. Oh I understand what you mean now. Therefore if all ONE XL models were just running the latest official navcores, then all of them won't have high enough bootloaders for support of SDHC cards. I wasn't aware the bootloader that comes with the ONE XL official navcore 8010 is that low.

2. So at some point, the ONE XLs which I have seen with a higher bootloader version (for eg. 5.5128) have at some stage been upgraded with a different navcore other than the official one, and of course the higher bootloader has remained, even if the official 8.010 navcore has been re-installed.

3. Thanks for clearing this up tendriver and Downunder. I hope I haven't confused anyone with my post.

Cheers

1. Correct. BTW, I edited your point 1 a bit for clarification.
2. Probably so.
3. The Navitotal TT Section tries to give our members the best service possible, so when you post, which we appreciate, Please try to be 100% sure of the correctness of the contents. Do I make mistakes?? YEP!!
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby madaload » Sun May 01, 2011 9:02 pm

OK guys, now I'm just confused.
I've been running Navcore 9.051 from a 2GB SD card, but the BootLoader wasn't automatically updated with the Navcore.

Also, my TT ONE XL has been running official and un-cracked Navcore 8.010 for a while now directly from it's built-in memory. According to what Downunder35m said, my BL should have been updated to 5.3026. But it wasn't.

I have also updated the Navcore to 9.205 just now but the BL is still 5.010.

Isn't the BootLoader something that is flashed on the device's EEPROM? I mean, what good is a new BootLoader on an SDHC card, when you need it to recognize the card in the first place?

Can't somebody just tell me where I can get the 5.5022 or 5.5112 BootLoader and how to update my device with it?
madaload offline

Postby madaload » Sun May 01, 2011 10:24 pm

Problem solved.

REMEMBER to read this thread about BootLoaders so you don't brick your device. There is no going back unless you have an external EEPROM programmer, the dexterity and the know-how to perform a fix.
madaload offline

Postby tendriver » Mon May 02, 2011 12:15 am

madaload wrote:OK guys, now I'm just confused.
1. I've been running Navcore 9.051 from a 2GB SD card, but the BootLoader wasn't automatically updated with the Navcore.

2. Also, my TT ONE XL has been running official and un-cracked Navcore 8.010 for a while now directly from it's built-in memory. According to what Downunder35m said, my BL should have been updated to 5.3026. But it wasn't.

3. I have also updated the Navcore to 9.205 just now but the BL is still 5.010.

4 Isn't the BootLoader something that is flashed on the device's EEPROM? I mean, what good is a new BootLoader on an SDHC card, when you need it to recognize the card in the first place?

5. Can't somebody just tell me where I can get the 5.5022 or 5.5112 BootLoader and how to update my device with it?

1. You must have used an altered version of 9.051
2. 8010's b/l is 5.4106, not 5.3026
3. See point 1.
4. As stated in post 2, EVERY navcore has it's own bootloader included. The first time a unit is booted after installing a new navcore, the included bootloader flashes the unit & never does anything else.
5. Navcore 9.051 bootloader is 5.5237. Navcore 9.205 bootloader is 5.5250. They are available in the .cab files. You should be using them, not 5.5022 or 5.5112.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby tendriver » Mon May 02, 2011 12:31 am

madaload wrote:Problem solved.

REMEMBER to read this thread about BootLoaders so you don't brick your device. There is no going back unless you have an external EEPROM programmer, the dexterity and the know-how to perform a fix.

1. The link you reference is out of date.

2. There is not a link in the "Tomtom bootloaders 5.5xx comparison" tutorial or anywhere else, because Navitotal does not recommend just changing the bootloader.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby madaload » Mon May 02, 2011 2:56 am

I commented on all your points but ended up writing a very lengthy post, so here is my "short" version commenting on just this:
tendriver wrote:2. There is not a link in the "Tomtom bootloaders 5.5xx comparison" tutorial or anywhere else, because Navitotal does not recommend just changing the bootloader.

I don't want to sound ungrateful, after all, I downloaded my maps from here, but I want to be honest with you. I am quite shocked by your comment about what Navitotal recommends or not. It sounds like some official corporate B***S*** and not the kind of talk you'd find on an underground forum. I was under the impression that any unofficial modification of TT devices may end in tears for the poor layman hacker, but that's just life. Anyone who dares it with no prior research has only himself to blame. Your censorship was therefore unnecessary.

You have censored my BootLoaders link (It didn't expire. I just checked it.) and my short explanation on how to update them. What's up with that! You may as well delete this whole thread, since I ended up helping myself and you deleted the solution, which I wanted to share. I myself have created a few tutorials and I've been a part of the underground since about 1996 (satellite encryption and receiver modding). Among other things I was the one who fixed the old on-line schematic of the JDM programmer, which didn't work correctly.

My point is, that I always thought people should be able to share technical information freely. How about you? Do you really have to make the choice for others by telling them what you recommend, and to those who disagree you simply deny the "not recommended" information? What kind of underground is this?

I don't expect an answer. It's more of a rhetorical question, but I personally would be grateful for any contributions to my forum that may explain and simplify things for the community. :grouphug:
madaload offline

Postby tendriver » Mon May 02, 2011 3:35 am

Navitotal strives to give our members the best service possible & since most of our members are noobs, also to ensure that they don't damage their units, while surfing the forum on their own. To keep that from happening, it is Navitotal's policy not to post a link to bootloaders. which I clearly stated in post 2.

madaload: I was under the impression that any unofficial modification of TT devices may end in tears for the poor layman hacker, but that's just life. Anyone who dares it with no prior research has only himself to blame.

Fortunately for our members, Navitotal does not have this irresponsible attitude.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Next

Return to General Discussions about TomTom