Bootloader for TT ONE XL   

Postby Downunder35m » Mon May 02, 2011 8:06 am

And I second that.
The correct bootloader for a device is the one that is included in the official Navcore.
There are already enough users with no clue that think for a problem they can't solve they first need a new bootloader.
I only give out a bootloader when
a) I know it is really necessary
b) I'm sure the bootloader I choose is compatible with the device

If someone posts a collection of bootloaders the link will simply be deletet for safety reasons.
A wrong bootloader in a best case situation just works as normal.
Most of the times however the users gets USB problems and sometimes even access problems to the SD card.
Worst case is a brick.

And for the advise here:
If a normal member post misleading informations we try to correct it.
We always give the best possible advise and you can freely post your opinion on bootloaders but no links to it ;)
And as long as there moderators in a forum you will find that if in doubt the moderator is always right. ;)
That is to protect our users and not to make your life harder.

If the bootloaders you post brick or otherwise damage a TT, would take the responsibilty for it and give the user a new device?
Or would you simply say : Bad luck, you took the wrong one?
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby madaload » Tue May 03, 2011 11:36 am

There you go with that corporate talk again. Your question whether I would take the tab for a bricked device including the acusation of irresponsibility on my part are highly hypocritical. You say you worry about user protection, but you don't worry about who's going to pay if TT sues users for stealing maps. I don't know what your agenda is or if you have one, but what your rules are doing has nothing to do with user protection or with responsibility for anything.

On top of that your nanny attitude only creates more clueless and lazy noobs. I call them power-noobs. They don't even know the basics of troubleshooting, but they can mod their devices, although they have no clue as to what is really happening in the background. In another thread here somebody was asking for help, because he couldn't find a link to click on when downloading maps. He is the result of over-protective rules like yours.

It is NOT your responsibility to look after lazy people and hold their hand all the way. And no one has any right whatsoever to hold you responsible if things go wrong. Modding your device voids your warranty and using cracked maps is illegal, which makes this whole thing VOLUNTARY with very obvious risks involved. If a person here asks a question, he should get an answer. But one that educates him and not one that robbs him of knowledge. Nobody can learn from doing nothing and from having to take no responsibility for their own decisions.

That is one of the simplest facts of life in general. Going against it doesn't help anybody. As for me, I'm glad this forum exists, but it breaks my balls to see how the knowlegeable few forget how they got their knowlege. I don't know about you, but for me it was four years of post graduate electronics studies and then practical application of what I learned through trial and error. In other words the natural way. Did you learn your thing by others doing everything for you? I really doubt that.

P.S. I know this is off topic, so delete this whole thread if you like. I just thought you should know ;)
madaload offline

Postby Downunder35m » Tue May 03, 2011 12:44 pm

I think you dont get my point or we are talking in different ways.
It is not about you or the link you posted.
We know from long experience that the wrong BL causes more harm than good.
That is why we always say : "Leave the bootloader alone unless really necessary".
We don't cripple or gag postings or users and even your opinion is valued.
Any TT that had it's original Navcore on it will have the right bootloader.
But the simple fact is that too many unexperienced users will play around with bootloaders if they think it will solve something - that is mostly due to fact that the have not done their homework.
So I agree with you that any user should do enough research before the start of modifications but I don't see the need in causing more problems than doing good by posting a list of bootloaders to download.
If a user really thinks he needs a different bootloader than he can find it in any TT CAB file.
This forum tries to help users in any way possible and preventing problems with wrongly installed bootloaders is part of that - no offense!
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tendriver » Tue May 03, 2011 4:25 pm

@ madaload,

Thank you for your comments.

You have solved your problem, so this thread is closed. Feel free to start a new thread, if you have any more problems.

THREAD_CLOSED
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Previous

Return to General Discussions about TomTom