Bootloader 5.2400   

Bootloader 5.2400

Postby Macca-009 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:53 pm

Hi guys -
Do you happen to know if B/L 5.2400 is a 'special' in any respects or can it be safely updated? The device is a GO715 :D with 7.903 Navcore on board.

ttgo.bif:

[TomTomGo]
DeviceName=TomTom GO 715
DeviceVersionHW=GO 715
DeviceSerialNumber=MxxxxxGxxxxx
DeviceUniqueID=AK9xx ASxxx
RamDiskVersion=20081205
BootLoaderVersion=52400
LinuxVersion=2344
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=7903
ApplicationVersion=9183
UserLanguage=English UK
UserName=
LastConnectionTime=Never
GPSFirmwareVersion=
BuiltInColorScheme0=Belgica
BuiltInColorScheme1=Brittanica
BuiltInColorScheme2=America
BuiltInColorScheme3=Germanica
BuiltInColorScheme4=Australia
BuiltInColorScheme5=Deuteranopia
BuiltInColorScheme6=Greys
BuiltInColorScheme7=Antarctica
BuiltInColorScheme8=Africa
BuiltInColorScheme9=Astra
CurrentColorSchemeBuiltIn=0
CurrentVoiceInfo=Jane
Traffic=N
CurrentFuelpricesType=
CurrentFuelpricesTypeString=

Aside from the addition of a SIMCard Slot, the animal looks similar (but not 'like') a x10. I have had a 'play' with newer Navcores but would like sdhc capability. Intrigueingly, with 7.903 installed, RAM is reported as 60MB - yes 60, but with 9.205 it is reported as 64MB. Over to you guys... photos available later.

Macca
GO930's with Voice Control
Maps: UK, EU & NA + Cameras (with ogg files)
Macca-009 offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby tendriver » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:49 pm

5.2400 is an antique. I know of nothing special about it. 7.903 b/l is 5.3xx
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Macca-009 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:01 am

In the absense of any compelling reasons NOT to do so, We've successfully updated it to 5.5120. The only difference in behaviour so far, seems to be the now automatic 'switch on' when it is put onto a powered home-dock. While NC 7.903 still functions fully, it is becoming apparent that some newer navcores will not. For example, I've taken a working sd card from a 710 with 8.396 (the DSA version) and 855.2926 map, installed it in this device and had a very unexpected result. The device shows all the signs of being a 'live' type device and when any attempt is made to change any settings, it re-boots. No such behaviour on the 710 where it functions perfectly. We also observed what seemed to be a reluctance of the gps firmware to start up, could just be our imagination though and it has updated gpsfix ok via tthome. Am going to start trying different NC's 'in earnest' over the next few days.

Have a great Thanksgiving Day ...

Macca
Macca-009 offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby Downunder35m » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:11 am

The bootloader should not affect the Navcore working on the device.
Using an installed version of a DSA Navcore is not recommended, only a clean install will make sure that it is working as there are certain files created after the the first boot that are device specific.
Refer to the DSA help for further info.
The 5.5128 should be safe to use for you as well and fixed some issues with newer Navcores and the their support for newer devices.
If you want to use a DSA Navcore I recommend to install it using the right model ID or to use the GO default setting.
Or simply use our autoinstall Navcores.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby Macca-009 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:19 pm

Thanks for that [color="blue"]Downunder35m[/color] - I wasn't aware of the issues you've highlighted - will give us a little more to go at. Since nobody seems to have ever had their paws on one of these 2008 animals before, the initial photos are attached. Sorry for the poor quality - I'll try to do better when we start dismantling it!

Macca

Macca-009 offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby tendriver » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:35 pm

Macca-009 wrote:In the absense of any compelling reasons NOT to do so, We've successfully updated it to 5.5120. The only difference in behaviour so far, seems to be the now automatic 'switch on' when it is put onto a powered home-dock.
1. While NC 7.903 still functions fully, it is becoming apparent that some newer navcores will not.
2. For example, I've taken a working sd card from a 710 with 8.396 (the DSA version) and 855.2926 map, installed it in this device and had a very unexpected result. The device shows all the signs of being a 'live' type device and when any attempt is made to change any settings, it re-boots. No such behaviour on the 710 where it functions perfectly. We also observed what seemed to be a reluctance of the gps firmware to start up, could just be our imagination though and it has updated gpsfix ok via tthome.
3. Am going to start trying different NC's 'in earnest' over the next few days.

Have a great Thanksgiving Day ...

Macca

1. No navcore, except the device's official one, will be "fully functional".
2. Of course you remembered to repatch the map.
3. What results are you desiring from this?

Macca-009 wrote:Thanks for that Downunder35m - I wasn't aware of the issues you've highlighted - will give us a little more to go at. Since nobody seems to have ever had their paws on one of these 2008 animals before, the initial photos are attached. Sorry for the poor quality - I'll try to do better when we start dismantling it!

Macca

tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Macca-009 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:33 am

Hi td, thanks for the link/info - I'd not seen that one. To answer your points:

1. I've not yet established what the 'official' navcore was for these - it certainly wasn't 7.903 ! The file dates indicate that this was loaded more recently - perhaps prior to TT selling their remaining stocks of these units. Articles that appeared in the USA during Spring of 2008 talk of a Truck type navcore, hence my experiment with 8.396
2. I'm not even gonna answer!
3. Having dragged a 510 up to a reasonable standard of performance with ALG/TTS/AVR etc and making it useable with the Truck navcores & maps, the idea was to see if the same could be done with a 715. Kind of "climbing it 'coz it's there" ... or has the age of experimentation for the sake of it, died out ??? LMAO

Might be worth me mentioning that the unit I have, is brand new/unused, NOT a unit that has ever seen any use for it's original purpose.

Macca
Macca-009 offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby tendriver » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:01 am

Macca-009 wrote:Hi td, thanks for the link/info - I'd not seen that one. To answer your points:

1. I've not yet established what the 'official' navcore was for these - it certainly wasn't 7.903 ! The file dates indicate that this was loaded more recently - perhaps prior to TT selling their remaining stocks of these units. Articles that appeared in the USA during Spring of 2008 talk of a Truck type navcore, hence my experiment with 8.396
2. I'm not even gonna answer!
3. Having dragged a 510 up to a reasonable standard of performance with ALG/TTS/AVR etc and making it useable with the Truck navcores & maps, the idea was to see if the same could be done with a 715. Kind of "climbing it 'coz it's there" ... or has the age of experimentation for the sake of it, died out ??? LMAO

Might be worth me mentioning that the unit I have, is brand new/unused, NOT a unit that has ever seen any use for it's original purpose.

Macca

1. Original NC was 6.571
2. LOL!!
3. You have way to much spare time on your hands!!!
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Macca-009 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:59 am

Well, I've reached an initial conclusion, which is that the GO715 may NOT support any navcore (certainly none that I can find!) after 7.903 which is a bit of a bummer as far as adding any enhanced maps goes ... (yes, of course we activated correctly, cleared flash (many times!), did factory resets etc etc)

It's habit of 'falling over' (rebooting) with any later navcore, appears to be related to the 715's memory mapping/arrangement.

Unless of course, anyone knows better ....
Macca-009 offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby Downunder35m » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:17 pm

The 715 should not be any different from the other TT models when it comes to installing a different Navcore.
Please give this [Please Register or Login to download file] a try.
PW: downunder

1. Download the TT Clear Flash Tool and run it 3 times on your device.
2. Remove all from your device except the map and voices folder.
3. Unpack the archive and copy all to the root of your device.
4. Start your TT, it will perform a reboot shortly after you turned it on, please be patient and do not interrupt this.

If the map was already activated your TT should work now and you can add the TTS voices and other things as you like.
Forum rules

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby Macca-009 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:12 pm

Downunder35m wrote:The 715 should not be any different from the other TT models when it comes to installing a different Navcore.
Please give this [Please Register or Login to download file] a try.
PW: downunder

1. Download the TT Clear Flash Tool and run it 3 times on your device.
2. Remove all from your device except the map and voices folder.
3. Unpack the archive and copy all to the root of your device.
4. Start your TT, it will perform a reboot shortly after you turned it on, please be patient and do not interrupt this.

If the map was already activated your TT should work now and you can add the TTS voices and other things as you like.

Thanks for your response Downunder35m,

Instructions followed to the letter ... after initial reboot the device started ok with map in view etc ... then I browsed the map for a few seconds, all ok, changed a few prefs, still ok, back to browsing map ... it rebooted. Browsed map again, ok, went to poi menu, rebooted.. this time into black/white system screen on reboot. Restarted, now it's rebooting on it's own every 30-40 seconds. All very familiar ... the same result I get with any other navcore after 7.903 !

I'm resigned to this device remaining on 7.903 - just a great pity that a brand new unit can't be made more useful. My 510 beats this heap by a mile!

Macca
Macca-009 offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby tendriver » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:42 pm

Macca-009 wrote:
I'm resigned to this device remaining on 7.903 - just a great pity that a brand new unit can't be made more useful. My 510 beats this heap by a mile!
Macca

tendriver wrote:Were I you, I wouldn't consider getting them without knowing their update capability, unless I was getting them for FREE. You may be starting out with 2 bricks, instead of ending up with bricks.

You can't say that you were not warned!! The 715 was released as a Work unit. Have you looked at any of the Work/Truck navcores?
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Macca-009 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:08 pm

tendriver wrote:Have you looked at any of the Work/Truck navcores?

Have tried 8.395 & 8.396 as well as DSA version of 8.396 without success (see post #3), but have just learned of ttuser's earlier variants - may give those a spin before giving up. I'm convinced it's all about memory management (RAM).

Macca
Macca-009 offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby tendriver » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:24 pm

Macca-009 wrote:Have tried 8.395 & 8.396 as well as DSA version of 8.396 without success (see post #3), but have just learned of ttuser's earlier variants - may give those a spin before giving up. I'm convinced it's all about memory management (RAM).

Macca

The last TTuser NC was 9.051. The NCs since have been moded by other users using TTuser's codes.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Macca-009 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:52 pm

I was thinking 8.391/2/3 & 4 - I'm sure I've read that these were Truck versions.

Not expecting miracles though! lol
Macca-009 offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Next

Return to General Discussions about TomTom