Another Newbie Post   

Another Newbie Post

Postby looping38 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:55 pm

Hello everyone and first of all thank you very much for everything in this forum...

But, as usual when you come into a new underground area, it is very unclear, what you need to do for what you really need. I checked over all the sticky section and didn't find much about the basic of adding a new map in my TomTom.
I did it, but actually I don't know exactly what I have done.

So let me explain my point of view and maybe I can update this post to make it clearer.

What I have done :
-Install the latest TomTom Home, and update everything, and then backup, so I should have the latest NavCore.

-Then, which set of map should I take? 7.xx or 8.xx, I don't know if it is related to the version of my TomTom. I took the 8.xx as I supposed this is the latest.
-Did I removed anything from my TomTom? No, if yes what should I have had removed?

-Then I chose the latest sticky (latest in creation date, not last post) and I chose the map I was interrested in. The one with fast activate and automatic installer as I don't understand what to do exactly.

-Which version number to choose? 3010-3011-3012... Apparently deeling with ASR? (googled and found speech recognition), IQ route (I guess time of travel base on user stats), HNR (something regarding the street numbering or something) and the version of your navcore.

-I launch the exe, put the root as the directory, and then in the end I had 4 choice in the fastActivate software... What did I do? I press all the fourth, one after the other, what is it for? I don't know. The first one was I guess for the map, the second for the speech, another one for the navcore, and finally for TomTom home, what is it for exactly? Did I do it correctly?

-I added the speed radar in the map folder the one for France, and I patched again using the fastActivate box.

In the end I reboot and ... nothing, my orginal Australian map was still in place and the new european was somehow not used. I started TomTom Home and used the "manage my device" and it prompted me to change my map. I did so and then it worked.

I know this a hell of a topic, but this should help a lot newbies like me.
I didn't say anything to offend anyone, I know everything is based on people so this is my little contribution to make it clearer for the basic.
Thank you the help me

Cheers
looping38 offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:06 am

looping38 wrote:Hello everyone and first of all thank you very much for everything in this forum...

But, as usual when you come into a new underground area, it is very unclear, what you need to do for what you really need. I checked over all the sticky section and didn't find much about the basic of adding a new map in my TomTom. [size=100][color=red]How to update a 32mb Widescreen TomTom Device[/color] or [size=100][color=red]How to update a 64mb Widescreen TomTom Device[/color] [size=85]I included both, since you give 0 info on your device.

[/size][/size]I did it, but actually I don't know exactly what I have done.
[/size]
So let me explain my point of view and maybe I can update this post to make it clearer.

What I have done :
1. -Install the latest TomTom Home, and update everything, and then backup, so I should have the latest NavCore.

2. -Then, which set of map should I take? 7.xx or 8.xx, I don't know if it is related to the version of my TomTom. I took the 8.xx as I supposed this is the latest.

3. -Did I removed anything from my TomTom? No, if yes what should I have had removed?

4. -Then I chose the latest sticky (latest in creation date, not last post) and I chose the map I was interrested in. The one with fast activate and automatic installer as I don't understand what to do exactly.

5. -Which version number to choose? 3010-3011-3012... Apparently deeling with ASR? (googled and found speech recognition), IQ route (I guess time of travel base on user stats), HNR (something regarding the street numbering or something) and the version of your navcore.

6. -I launch the exe, put the root as the directory, and then in the end I had 4 choice in the fastActivate software... What did I do? I press all the fourth, one after the other, what is it for? I don't know. The first one was I guess for the map, the second for the speech, another one for the navcore, and finally for TomTom home, what is it for exactly? Did I do it correctly?

7. -I added the speed radar in the map folder the one for France, and I patched again using the fastActivate box.

8. In the end I reboot and ... nothing, my orginal Australian map was still in place and the new european was somehow not used. I started TomTom Home and used the "manage my device" and it prompted me to change my map. I did so and then it worked.

9.I know this a hell of a topic, but this should help a lot newbies like me.
I didn't say anything to offend anyone, I know everything is based on people so this is my little contribution to make it clearer for the basic.
Thank you the help me

Cheers

Did you read the Tutorials section? It appears not!!

1. How did you create a backup?
2. I have no idea, since you give 0 info on your device!! Good choice.
3. I have no idea, since you give 0 info on your device!!
4. I have no idea, since you give 0 info on your device!!
5. I have no idea, since you give 0 info on your device!! [color=red]Definitions for dummies[/color]
6. FastActivate 24.11.2011 {1.8.8.0}
7. OK
8. Your actions here indicate a lack of operating knowledge about your device.
9. I don't see how.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby looping38 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:02 pm

Hello,
I have been through all the Tutorial section and read all the sticky. I guess you have been offended but this wasn't my goal. I didn't write my device name because I wanted to be more general. The final goal would have been to collect all those information and modify this thread with the answers given.

1-I connecte my device to TomTom home and update it through it.
5-Thank you for that definition, I try to find it without succes before
8-For sure I have just used my device as a basic user (1 map, one device)
9-As I say, if I can gather the answers that should be great.

I spent around 3 hours to understand what to do at first and I just tell you what I did and what I have understood. In the end it worked, I just didn't understand exactly what I did as I am not a GPS power user.
looping38 offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:11 pm

looping38 wrote:Hello,
I have been through all the Tutorial section and read all the sticky.
A. I guess you have been offended but this wasn't my goal.
B. I didn't write my device name because I wanted to be more general. The final goal would have been to collect all those information and modify this thread with the answers given.

1-I connecte my device to TomTom home and update it through it.
5-Thank you for that definition, I try to find it without succes before
8-For sure I have just used my device as a basic user (1 map, one device)
9-As I say, if I can gather the answers that should be great.

I spent around 3 hours to understand what to do at first and I just tell you what I did and what I have understood. In the end it worked, I just didn't understand exactly what I did as I am not a GPS power user.

A. I don't get offended.
B. Without your TT model, current navcore & current map, your post 1 isn't any help.

1. OK, but how did you create a backup?
5. You are Welcome.
8. I can believe that.
9. Every answer is at your fingertips, if you just look.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby looping38 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:36 pm

Thank you very much
looping38 offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:42 pm

You are Welcome!!
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about TomTom