GO 930T TMC no longer working in the US   

GO 930T TMC no longer working in the US

Postby 3Cubed » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:42 am

Hi.

I own the TT Go930T bought in the US a few years back. This spring I took it back to the US (I live in Denmark) to my surprise the TMC was no longer working or at least it was not free?! I think I saw something (perhaps a popup on the GO 930 it self, about I had to start a subscription to make it work (yes I did bring the right TMC receiver). Now I just downloaded and installed the US 875.3613 2GB map, installed it and unlocked the map and my Navcore 8.351 using fastactivate.exe. Now when I go to the patched tomtom home using th US map there is a traffic section in the home, but when i click it it says its no items available. Does that mean it's been unlocked or that it wont be working?

If it means it's not working, would I be able to bring it to work in the US if I update the Navcore to a never version?

Thanks Kasper

PS. Thanks for all the work on helping the rest of us, it is much appreciated!! :clap:
3Cubed offline

Postby 3Cubed » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:32 pm

No one know the answers? :scratch_one-s_head_
3Cubed offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:30 am

3Cubed wrote:No one know the answers? :scratch_one-s_head_

The TT traffic coverage in the US is all but worthless. Very few members use it.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby 3Cubed » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:37 am

Hi Teendriver. OK, thank's for the info and you are talking about the TMC traffic service? When I first got the device I did use it (inside the first 3 months) and the few times it said that there was some delay at my route it was true... Just a shame that I was still on the fastest route... Out of curiosity, did you try the paid traffic service, the kind that gets info from your phones Internet connection... I don't know what models use this, just remember seeing it and wondering if it's working..

Later 3Cubed
3Cubed offline

Postby PSJFLA » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:27 am

The receiver is only good for " 1 year " from the date it is first used..( so yours has expired )

The version you want is 4V00.083.

They are dirt cheap on ebay and similar sites.

Don't waste your time with the GPRS version ( the one that uses your cell phone's date connection )

It only works with some of the older phones that support DUN and TomTom wants about $60 USD per year for the service.

Both types of Traffic will still work when using a patched Navcore and patched map.

PSJFLA offline

Postby 3Cubed » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:56 pm

OK Thanks for the info.

I ordered the 4V00.083. TMC receiver it should be waiting for me when I arrive at my sisters in DC. Looking forward to test it out, hope it works.

I ordered it on ebay, paid about 12$, so you were right, quiet cheap. :-)

Thanks. :)

Edit: I'll post my results here, maybe some one else could use the info.
3Cubed offline

Postby PSJFLA » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:09 am

When you get it....just plug it in....it will do the rest.

NO menu's....NO settings....NOTHING.

Remember....it will only work for 1 year from the date you first use it.
PSJFLA offline

Postby 3Cubed » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:00 am

I was hoping that was what was going to happen, just like the European one...

But but but.... Say What, same thing with every new one. I wonder how that's done There must be a way to "fix" it... I'll do some digging around when I get back home after this trip.
It must be something with a small programmable IC in the TMC receiver, that has been programmed to shut it down after a year... What happens if you set the date in the tomtom back a couple of years? I wonder if that would fix it...
3Cubed offline

Postby PSJFLA » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:18 am

The " only " known work-around....is one TTUSERS older SE navcores.

There is one version that is known to let the receiver work after the experation date.

A search of the forum will find it.

The ebay receivers are so cheap and I like the newer Navcore 9 versions....I've nevered bothered to try it.
PSJFLA offline

Postby 3Cubed » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:43 am

You are right, but it's just a plain stupid waste of resources, one TT ought stop, they could do the same thing in software and help ease the strain on nature. 2. I'm mostly only in the US once or twice a year, I will probably not keep buying this device in the future, I guess I'll live with the delays and then go somewhere else for my next GPS, when that time comes...

Do you know How old that NC you are mentioning is? I'm on NC 8.351 on my GO930T Thinking of trying to upgrade to a newer Navcore, but nut sure how to go about it and which one to get. I was looking at the tutorial Best NC for x10 x20 x30 but the download links is dead.

What NC are you using for what device and can you recommend a NC for me to try and is there anything I should read or follow, to increase my chances of success? :-)

THanks again.
3Cubed offline

Postby PSJFLA » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:23 am

I " beleive " this is the one that will keep traffic working after the TMC receiver has expired.

SE Navcore 9.026.483454 from TTuser

http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?907-Latest-Navcores

You'll need to get some advice on how to configure it for your device.

Since your not in the USA....your not going to be able to test it....( even though you still have your old expired receiver )

I would suggest you keep 8.351 untill you return from your trip.( you know it will run without problems ).

The only real advantage of using a version 9 navcore is you can get the look of the new icons....but many times you will lose functions.

As in linking to your cell phones Bluetooth data connection....to get the weather..or fuel prices.
PSJFLA offline

Postby fairytooth » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:40 pm

I have been told that the various TMC aerials in USA are different spec from the European ones. I don't know if this is so but it could be your problem.
fairytooth offline

Return to General Discussions about TomTom