Go 700 Will Not Boot   

Go 700 Will Not Boot

Postby peebee » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:58 pm

Last week having successfully updated my Go720, I decided to try the same with an old Go 700.

I backed up the old working system and then deleted the contents of the hard drive then I loaded the new 8412 Navcore and a 875.3613 map.
All seemed to be well and initially I had a fault because Fast Activate couldnt find the .bif file. I rebooted the device and was then able to open the hard drive. On using Fast Activate the first two actions patched OK but on the third action pressing the TomTom System/PND Navigator button the TomTom instantly shut down and I havent been able to either boot it up or get it to connect to the computer since.
Pressing the device on switch produces a click on the speaker with a momentary green light and the system then goes off instantly requiring a reset which repeats what I have described previously.
I have disconnected the TomTom from the computer and connected it to mains charger, made no difference. I have tried holding the reset button down for 30 seconds, no good.
I cannot now get into the device to clear the hard drive and re-install the old system !.
Any suggestions please ?.
peebee offline

Postby tendriver » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:09 pm

If the device will not boot, if you computer doesn't see it & a 30 sec. or more hard reset is no help, then your remaining options are about nil.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby peebee » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:26 pm

Yep!. I think your right. Probably coincidence that it died as I was updating it. But I thought I would post in case someone had a similar event they had managed to recover from before I scrap it.
peebee offline

Postby tendriver » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:36 pm

peebee wrote:Yep!. I think your right. Probably coincidence that it died as I was updating it. But I thought I would post in case someone had a similar event they had managed to recover from before I scrap it.

I would not scrape it quite yet.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby peebee » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:31 pm

Nah!. Its scrap. Hard resets, holding both reset and start buttons for varying times, connected to computer or mains charger....all make no difference. Its dead, its shaken off its mortal coil, its bereft of life...its a dead TomTom. And I just bought a used 720 on ebay.

Thanks for your help Tendriver
peebee offline

Go 700 Will Not Boot - Update

Postby peebee » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:08 pm

Having tried everything I could find on the forum to start up my TT Go 700 without success, I was about to throw it in the dustbin when I came across a remark in a posting (by Tendriver I think) in which he was advising someone to try connecting to his vehicle's power system as a last resort (Cigarette Lighter) as sometimes he has known it to revive a 'dead' unit.
As a result I connected my 'dead' unit up and amazingly it booted up !. Now I had tried everything before to try and revive it and all attempts had failed. I even bought a replacement convinced it was dead.
Why connecting the unit to my vehicle's power system worked beats me but it did.
I have now updated it to the 9025 Navcore and 875 map and roadtested, all is working.

This may help someone if they experience similar problems.
peebee offline

Return to General Discussions about TomTom