Word of advice   

Word of advice

Postby chas521 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:07 pm

It has come to my attention that some members have lost all contact with their GPS device[s] even when the cable is plugged in to the car and the device. What is happening is that the device remains plugged in to the car and when the car is started there is a surge of electricity that "fries" the cable and the device. It may not happen all the time but it only takes one time. So, my advice is to disconnect the GPS device from the car each time, start the car and then attach your GPS. :cray:
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby upss » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:01 pm

Chas, good advice, unfortunately this is not a new problem.

The problem stems from the quality of the car adapter (charger) and the GPS unit. What is actually happening is that the charger fails (ignition surge is only one reason that it could fail) and then it supplies the full car battery voltage (12V), instead of the typical regulated 5V output. If the GPS is of a better quality (such as Mio 520/320) they have right at the power input connection a Transient Voltage Suppressor (TVS) which will clamp the input voltage to just above 5V. Typically, this TVS will protect the GPS if the energy is limited by a proper fuse. If the charger is not fused properly and the charger fails, the energy supplied is way too high, the TVS will short out but will still protect the rest of the GPS. In that case, replacing the blown charger and the TVS will revive the GPS.
upss offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:04 pm

Plugging in a charger (mains or car) while attached to the gps can do the same thing as well.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby chas521 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:55 am

I know this advice has been previously discussed but I thought it was a good idea to resurrect it for the new members.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby upss » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:17 am

chas521 wrote:I know this advice has been previously discussed but I thought it was a good idea to resurrect it for the new members.

So what is wrong with providing the link with some more details on gpspassion.com?
upss offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:22 am

Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about iGO core