Which Generic GPS to buy?   

Which Generic GPS to buy?

Postby FullScreen57 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:48 pm

I currently own a Mio C310x and C320 and now need to buy a generic GPS unit and install Primo on it (to give as a gift). I would greatly appreciate comments, links, etc. on which unit to purchase. Bluetooth and TMC are not required. Thanks y'all.
FullScreen57 offline

Postby dannyu » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:21 pm

aren't you happy with the models you already have?

both can run Primo very nicely and you'll save a lot of time & effort on preparing the same kind of unit (another GPS obviuosly has it's own
tricks/limitations/cracks/etc.).

Plus, think of the future - if your friend will have a problem with his/her unit (or simply an update of maps),
who will be the expert they'll approach to resolve it? yes, it'll probably be yourself - so again a lot of time to save.

On the other hand, if you're not happy with you stuff, then it's a different question (and probably an answer as well).

My 2 cents,
Danny
dannyu offline

Postby FullScreen57 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:24 pm

dannyu wrote:aren't you happy with the models you already have?

both can run Primo very nicely and you'll save a lot of time & effort on preparing the same kind of unit (another GPS obviuosly has it's own
tricks/limitations/cracks/etc.).

Plus, think of the future - if your friend will have a problem with his/her unit (or simply an update of maps),
who will be the expert they'll approach to resolve it? yes, it'll probably be yourself - so again a lot of time to save.

On the other hand, if you're not happy with you stuff, then it's a different question (and probably an answer as well).

My 2 cents,
Danny

Hi Danny,

As I mentioned in my original post, this is meant to be a gift (to a close family member); so I know I will be supporting their GPS updates :) (Been doing the family's PCs for 10+ years already so I know where you're coming from)
FullScreen57 offline

Postby dannyu » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:51 pm

if so then my recommendation is even more firm.

I'm sure your family member would appriciate the nice gift especially as a newbie (I assume) to this arena.

Danny
dannyu offline

Postby chas521 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:21 am

FullScreen57 wrote:Thanks. Any recommendations in a 4.3" Screen size and good sellers/sites (if that is allowed here).

Sorry but no sellers allowed.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:33 pm

I vote for the Navman M400, £80 New, Runs Tomtom and Primo with no problems.

4.3" 480x272 Wide screen
WinCE 5
Easily unlocked
Generic Mini USB charger
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby xtyler92 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:41 pm

Just go with a nice simple chinese unit. Keep in mind though that since you are buying something new you might as well go for a few little extras. These should be things like RAM (no less than 128MB) and depending on where you live TMC. I say depending on where you live because in some areas TMC works fine for people, where in others you'll need a valid subscription and all that which might not be worth it. I think the most important thing is RAM though so do not settle for 64MB of RAM on a unit when you can get a device with 128MB of RAM for around the same price.
xtyler92 offline

Return to General Discussions about iGO core