As we know in the Content folder we have the following folders:

building
dem
lang
map
poi
speedcam
voice

So I want to know for which content it is possible to combine more than one file, like TeleAtlas and Navteq for example:

1. Starting with the Building: I found that if I put more than one building file for the same country they are working at the same time, and further more the the 3D building graphs are overwriting each other, I tested that with 3 buildings files for Germany and for example Alliaz Arena in Munich was in two designs, like two graphics are merging
- so I think in the building folder the files for the same country are overwriting each other

2. I tested the same for the "dem" folder, I put one file which is named Gemnany+Austria+Italy, the dem file of Nasa, and one more File, so the Igo was running normally, but I don't know is it a combination of the 3 files or Igo is using one of them, I examined the German region and no clue, but the relief was there and working.

3. For the "lang" folder it is clear that we are using only one language, I didn't tested if I put more .zip files, do I have to choose in the software which language to use or I have to put only one language in the folder, but that is not so much important

4. For the map folder it is clear only one map for each country, there is an option to put more maps with the dates of the maps, and then to write in the sys.txt to use the map with the latest date

5. POI are very interesting for me, if I put two files for the same country what do I have to expect, Igo will use only one of the files or it will use both

6. The SpeedCam folder is clear, we can edit the .txt file by ourselves and if we want we can make a combination of two in one, what is important is to delete all the files in the folder, but the .txt file and the software will compile all the needed information

7. For the voice folder, I don't know is it possible to put more files and then in the software to choose which one to use

Thank you in advance for the answers and the information
Jorshua offline

Postby chas521 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:24 pm

Jorshua wrote:Hi, I have some question in order to clear all my misunderstanding

building
dem
lang
map
poi
speedcam
voice

So I want to know for which content it is possible to combine more than one file, like TeleAtlas and Navteq for example:

1. Starting with the Building: I found that if I put more than one building file for the same country they are working at the same time, and further more the the 3D building graphs are overwriting each other, I tested that with 3 buildings files for Germany and for example Alliaz Arena in Munich was in two designs, like two graphics are merging
- so I think in the building folder the files for the same country are overwriting each other

2. I tested the same for the "dem" folder, I put one file which is named Gemnany+Austria+Italy, the dem file of Nasa, and one more File, so the Igo was running normally, but I don't know is it a combination of the 3 files or Igo is using one of them, I examined the German region and no clue, but the relief was there and working.

3. For the "lang" folder it is clear that we are using only one language, I didn't tested if I put more .zip files, do I have to choose in the software which language to use or I have to put only one language in the folder, but that is not so much important

4. For the map folder it is clear only one map for each country, there is an option to put more maps with the dates of the maps, and then to write in the sys.txt to use the map with the latest date

5. POI are very interesting for me, if I put two files for the same country what do I have to expect, Igo will use only one of the files or it will use both

6. The SpeedCam folder is clear, we can edit the .txt file by ourselves and if we want we can make a combination of two in one, what is important is to delete all the files in the folder, but the .txt file and the software will compile all the needed information

7. For the voice folder, I don't know is it possible to put more files and then in the software to choose which one to use

Thank you in advance for the answers and the information

I will make this short and sweet. If you have too much content trying to load at one-time [startup], there is ABSOLUTELY no question that you will start getting an error message even if you have a large amount of RAM. Even with that large amount a line will be crossed that your device cannot handle. You want to keep your content at a minimum that lets you use your device to your liking. This is important so keep it in mind.

FYI, TA POIs in US are much better than Navteq POIs. You can use either map set with TA or NV POIs. Experiment.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Jorshua » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:48 pm

Thank you chas521, actually I don't want to make it full with information, but I am interested in deeper understanding if a combination is possible and where.

What is the process of using the files from the Content folder

Is it combining the relief file, is it combining the POI files, when the country is the same, about the .3dl and .3dc I am sure it is using more than just one file.
Jorshua offline

Postby chas521 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:56 pm

Jorshua wrote:Thank you chas521, actually I don't want to make it full with information, but I am interested in deeper understanding if a combination is possible and where.

What is the process of using the files from the Content folder

Is it combining the relief file, is it combining the POI files, when the country is the same, about the .3dl and .3dc I am sure it is using more than just one file.

The content files are used by the other files in the program. There have been many instances of getting "doubles" because someone has tried to combine files and then they come here and ask why. Don't worry about how to make it better because probably you can't. I'm not trying to insult you here just giving advice. Do yourself a favor and don't fix it if it ain't broke.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Jorshua » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:07 pm

Yes but I have many collections of "dev" files and "poi" and don't know which one to choose, which is better, and testing when I am making a trip in more countries is impossible
Jorshua offline

Postby nabi » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:07 pm

Jorshua wrote:Hi, I have some question in order to clear all my misunderstanding

building
dem
lang
map
poi
speedcam
voice

I never tried this. So I assuming you are right.
Know that 3dc files are building files and 3dl are landmark files.

Jorshua wrote:2. I tested the same for the "dem" folder, I put one file which is named Gemnany+Austria+Italy, the dem file of Nasa, and one more File, so the Igo was running normally, but I don't know is it a combination of the 3 files or Igo is using one of them, I examined the German region and no clue, but the relief was there and working.

When having more than one map of the same country and the same maker, the latest is used. Therefor I am assuming (not 100% sure) only the newest DEM file is used.
Dem file is memory consuming! So beware!!

Jorshua wrote:3. For the "lang" folder it is clear that we are using only one language, I didn't tested if I put more .zip files, do I have to choose in the software which language to use or I have to put only one language in the folder, but that is not so much important

You can load all 105 languages, but you have to pick one ;)

Jorshua wrote:4. For the map folder it is clear only one map for each country, there is an option to put more maps with the dates of the maps, and then to write in the sys.txt to use the map with the latest date

IGO picks automatically the newest map. When using more sets (TA maps and NT maps), best use different folders and a mapchanger

Jorshua wrote:5. POI are very interesting for me, if I put two files for the same country what do I have to expect, Igo will use only one of the files or it will use both

IGO will use both.

Jorshua wrote:6. The SpeedCam folder is clear, we can edit the .txt file by ourselves and if we want we can make a combination of two in one, what is important is to delete all the files in the folder, but the .txt file and the software will compile all the needed information

We do our best to post speedcam updates (for Europe at least).
Delete the contents of the speedcam folder, copy speedcam.txt in it, and start up iGO. IGO will compile its own speedcam files.
This way, you can also combine more than one speedcam file

Jorshua wrote:7. For the voice folder, I don't know is it possible to put more files and then in the software to choose which one to use

Same as for language files.

Chas is right, Do NOT overload your device with too much files. It will only find memory errors !
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby Jorshua » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:27 pm

Nabi, that is exactly what I am asking, now my info is complete

1. About Buildings, 100% sure, I was playing the last 30min with 4 files in Germany, Munich, so the Building are overwriting each other, for example:
if building A is a normal cube and building B is a high tower -> loading both files will result in a Tower with cube in the foundations :)
P.S. That is very stupid because each of my 4 files in the collection has different buildings and only few of them are the same, so I have to use all of them in order to have a complete picture

2. About the DEM files I can't tell what is correct, I will test some more time, because most off the maps are for whole regions, and what is going on if i put Nasa whole Europe and EastEuropeCIAT, I think we will have again a combination but can't confirm, (what does CIAT mean)

3. How does it work with selecting the language, I am with 8.3.2 version for PDA, in which menu is the option to change the language

4. Yes I am agree, do you mean as map changer to rename each time the folder, or there is a way to change it dynamically inside the software (I need to build more collections because some countries have not only TA na NQ but also another Mapbuilders)

5. Confirmed, combining all the files in the POI folder, the result is sometimes for the same point the name of the restaurant is written 2-3 times, but it is ok - better more information repeated than missing

6. SpeedCams agree

7. I have the same question as in 3.

Actually I am working with HTC HD2, Igo 8.3.2.124260

At that moment: the whole packet is:

1 - 0,7GB buildings
2 - 1,5GB dem
4 - 2GB maps
5 - 1,5GB poi

very stable, browsing, dragging, searching, zooming and so on - I am impressed

I am starting to think that actually Igo is making always a combination between the files, of course when possible -> poi and buildings are 100 confirmed, now thinking about dem and map
Jorshua offline

Postby nabi » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:42 am

Language and voice are chosen at the first start of iGO. To change it afterwards, goto menu > settings > regional (I think it's called). The name can differ depending on your language.
I use only the NASA DEM file, which is the largest and the most detailed (I think because it's the largest). If having memory problems, DEM files (and speedcam files) are the first files to delete.

[color=black]

[/color]
irinuca wrote:Gurjon and Dimka skin alow you to choose between 2-4 sets of maps/POI.
That does not mean choose a certain map/POI from a specific provider.
It's just juggle with map/POI folders, renamed them.
Here is folder structures

Image Image

iGO8\content\map_ta <= TA maps
iGO8\content\map_nt <= NavTeq maps
iGO8\content\map_ot <= Other providers maps
iGO8\content\map_ot <= Your preferences

In sys I add :
[switchmap]
changer="\Storage Card\iGO8\Extension\MapChanger\MapChanger.exe"
1=",map_ta,\Storage Card\iGO8,\Storage Card\iGO8,"
2=",map_nt,\Storage Card\iGO8,\Storage Card\iGO8,"
3=",map_ot,\Storage Card\iGO8,\Storage Card\iGO8,"
4=",map_us,\Storage Card\iGO8,\Storage Card\iGO8,"
poiswitch=1 <= if you want POI changer

Script MapChanger is the same for Dimka or Gurjon skin, so you can use the same folders structures at Gurjon and Dimka skin.

Dimka skin have dedicated button for map changer, but at Gurjon skin you'll have to add as an external app

If you choose, let's say map_ta, script will rename map=>map_us (the missing folder from that 4 folders) and map_ta=>map .
The same think is with content\POI folders but NOT with content\userdata\POI

Big thanks to Irinuca!!

[/color][color=black]Like warned in the maps section: do no mix mapsets in one folder.
[/color]
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby Jorshua » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:51 am

Great @nabi,

nice to work with you, actually I was reading last 2-3 days in around 4-5 forums, but there is so much information, and many many posts, to extract the needed info is really hard, only here I found it in best way for understanding, thanks to @nabi and the other guys.

Actually iGO has so many customisation that I need more than a week to understand all the functions and options, but will try to keep in touch

P.S. @nabi is it ok to contact you personal per PM or Skype, if I have some more spesific questions or if I can't find any files

About the dem files, I am 50:50 about the combination, but not sure I am searching for a region in which the difference could be found.

And as a Hardware HTC HD2 is a very stable PPC, actually I added whole Europe NQ, USA NQ und all possible POI from different sources last updates of course, and the biggest dem files and more and more files

The whole package is 10GB and it is working without any problems, just the first start is taking 1 minute more.

I am with 8.3.2 for PDA, nice

Is it better to switch to 8.2.4, can I use them at the same time in different folders?

P.S.S. when I tested Tom Tom it is like a baby work, just a little info for the activation was needed, here is the big THING :) , sorry for my stupid thoughts.
Jorshua offline

Postby nabi » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:55 am

You are seeing it too big in my opinion ;)
8.3.4 has the advantage (?) over 8.3.2 of driving alerts. And I am not sure of all maps have that information. (only NavTeq for sure, but all builds?)
To run 8.3.4, you need the right data.zip for driver alerts and the additional license. Also the right lines in sys.txt.
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about iGO core