Unable to open poi_brand.scr - program hang   

Unable to open poi_brand.scr - program hang

Postby siberian » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:48 pm

For some time I've been getting (on two separate and different HU) the error "unable to open poi_brand.scr exiting program".

Whilst initially simply rebooting or re-starting iGo worked, now iGo gets to "Starting" and then croaks on the above error.

Any ideas as to what has caused this as NOTHING was changed, this error simply appeared after months of normal use? Any help appreciated. TIA

siberian
The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
siberian offline

User avatar Member

Postby chas521 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:42 pm

By any chance, did you put the program on an old SD card? If so, it's just possible that the card is dying. I know you said NO but have you added additional content recently to anything [folder]? If so, that could cause a memory problem. I'm not saying this is your problem but just saying. :chok_mini:
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby siberian » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:45 pm

After some skulking around, it seems that this refers to a corruption of the branding.zip file and the actual file within sets the opacity of the icons. I'll try and dig up an old version of branding.zip and see whether this solves the problem. If I'm completely off the tracks here, give me a nudge please. TIA

Thanx Chas for your speedy reply. No, one is on a micro SD and one on a regular. Both cards have been there since... well you know since the little red car and nothing has been added. As to the MicroSD since it's such a piece of cr*p and already killed one reader (necessitating the dismantling of the unit to replace) I've been paranoid about even touching (let alone looking) at the card.

One thing I do have, and which you and others have replied to, but I'm simply adding for clarity, on the microSD unit, altitude is just totally foobared. Either it shows 0 feet or gets an initial snapshot of where it is and stays there irrespective of what altitude you're on. However since this current error is affecting both units (meaning the one which shows altitude correctly as well) I don't think it's related to the unit.

I'll post as soon as I switch and test. If I'm off my rocks let me know please. TIA

siberian
siberian offline

User avatar Member

Postby chas521 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:47 pm

What program are you using? Did you change branding.zips from the program you downloaded? BTW, you were warned about skulking about and taking pieces here and there.

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby siberian » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:54 pm

The latet and greatest you provided a link to. By SKULKING, I meant trying to find information on what poi_brand.scr does, not downloading anything. Trying to provide some useful background of the problem instead of just saying "it's broke, help". So no pieces were added and I'll look for an old version that I got from the forum prior to the latest upgrade and see if that cures the problem. Thanx for you assistance

siberian
siberian offline

User avatar Member

Postby chas521 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:01 pm

Latest and greatest what? Glad to hear that you aren't taking bits and pieces here and there.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby siberian » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:03 pm

Here is some more data. The original branding.zip file that I had is dated Dec. 31, 2011 and is 1.7MB. The latest one I got (through the forum) is dated April 3, 2012 and is 2.2MB and is the one currently suspect. I"ll try the swap and see if that cures it.

siberian
siberian offline

User avatar Member

Postby chas521 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:06 pm

I still don't know what program you're talking about. I doubt that the change of zips will work but give it a try. Also, did you try deleting the save folder?

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby siberian » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:12 pm

Nope that didn't work. Same error.... could it be in the data.zip file? No, will delete the save file next. How do I find the full version I have?

siberian
siberian offline

User avatar Member

Postby chas521 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:21 pm

siberian wrote:Nope that didn't work. Same error.... could it be in the data.zip file? No, will delete the save file next. How do I find the full version I have?

siberian

Thought so. Go to settings, about.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby siberian » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:34 pm

Sorry it's that until the program actually RAN I couldn't see the version. OK deleting the save folder worked, elevation is still dead. Interestingly, it occasionally gets the elevation as shown in the GPS detection menu and other times it shows zero. On my other unit, no problem running the same version which is: 8.3.5.183522 dated March 16, 2011, elevation shows up just fine. Bizzare.

I'll reload the original branding.zip file, do I have to delete the save folder again if I do that? TIA

siberian
siberian offline

User avatar Member

Postby chas521 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:04 pm

Probably not about the save folder. Just so you know, most errors can be corrected by deleting the save folder. Just so you know, you're using iGO8, not Primo. Regarding the elevation problem, different devices can cause different program elements not to work as another device. Why? I don't know. It may be a manufacturer's trick of some sort to screw with the buyer. :)

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about iGO core