Turn unit off when disconnect external power.   

Turn unit off when disconnect external power.

Postby accentstencil » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:11 pm

Is there a way I can make my PNA device turn off or sleep when the external power is disconnected and then turn on when the power is reconnected.
There is a setting on my unit which allows it to be shut down when external power is disconnected but when I select this option the unit does shut down, but then I have to manually turn it on when the power is connected again. When I do turn it on again the screen lights up for half a second and turns off again, then when I turn it on for the second time it will turn on but seems to be frozen, nothing works so I have to reset it. In short, I want it to turn on when I start my car and then turn off when I turn the car off, instead having to do it by pressing the power button. I suspect there is nothing I can do but I thought I would ask anyway.
Thanks for reading.
accentstencil offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby Fatboyfun » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:28 pm

Turning on when power is connected is hardware dependant.

With the turning off problem, i would guess that the system is suspending when power is disconnected and also igo is also trying to suspend the device, that's why is suspends twice.

The freezing is more than likely down to the SD card reader not waking up and initializing the SD card as quick as the rest of the system and as igo attempts to access the card but can't it crashes, This is also a hardware issue.

If there is enough space on the internal memory then move igo there, as the internal memory wakes up with the system.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby accentstencil » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:13 am

Fatboyfun wrote:Turning on when power is connected is hardware dependant.

With the turning off problem, i would guess that the system is suspending when power is disconnected and also igo is also trying to suspend the device, that's why is suspends twice.

The freezing is more than likely down to the SD card reader not waking up and initializing the SD card as quick as the rest of the system and as igo attempts to access the card but can't it crashes, This is also a hardware issue.

If there is enough space on the internal memory then move igo there, as the internal memory wakes up with the system.
Thank you for the reply and advice. Unfortunately there is only 1.16MB of available space in internal memory.
accentstencil offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:02 pm

What happens if you suspend the device manually? Does igo still freeze?

About the power on issue, there is not a lot you can do, unless you're handy with a soldering iron and can make a simple circuit to activate the switch when power is applied.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby accentstencil » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:31 am

Fatboyfun wrote:What happens if you suspend the device manually? Does igo still freeze?

About the power on issue, there is not a lot you can do, unless you're handy with a soldering iron and can make a simple circuit to activate the switch when power is applied.

If I suspend it manually I can turn it back on without any issues, it works fine. Turning it on manually is not so much of a problem but when I turn it off I have to press the power button, wait for the three options (power off, sleep and cancel) sometimes I have to wait 5 to 10 seconds for these options, then I press sleep so that it comes back to the same screen it was on before I turned it off. If I press power off I have to wait for Igo8 to load when I turn on again. If it was just a matter of pressing the power button to turn it off it wouldn't be so bad.
accentstencil offline

Postby NRT » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:52 am

Why not switch to Primo, doesn't seem to have this problem.
NRT offline

User avatar Member

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:34 am

NRT wrote:switch to Primo

Though I don't necessarily disagree with the sentiment (I find the latest versions of Primo superior to previous iGo releases), it may not 'fix' the sleep-on-power-disconnect and then wake-back-up-on-power-connect issue on certain devices since Primo (or iGo) relies on the hardware and underlying OS/Device/Software settings to perform this function. In some cases (such as on my Medion device), a "stub" process of the original software must be loaded (even though I do not use the original navigation software) in order for the 'disconnect/reconnect' functions to work.
But that's just my opinion..I could be wrong.
Y.T.
Primo2.4 PrimoAndroid TomTomAndroid
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby accentstencil » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:35 am

NRT wrote:Why not switch to Primo, doesn't seem to have this problem.

Thanks for the advice. Where would be the best place to buy it and which version is better. I did a google search but I thought I would get you advice before I download anything.
Thanks again.
accentstencil offline

Postby accentstencil » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:40 am

Yurbuh Tuggly wrote:Though I don't necessarily disagree with the sentiment (I find the latest versions of Primo superior to previous iGo releases), it may not 'fix' the sleep-on-power-disconnect and then wake-back-up-on-power-connect issue on certain devices since Primo (or iGo) relies on the hardware and underlying OS/Device/Software settings to perform this function. In some cases (such as on my Medion device), a "stub" process of the original software must be loaded (even though I do not use the original navigation software) in order for the 'disconnect/reconnect' functions to work.
Thank you for your reply as well. Pardon my ignorance but what is a stub process?
accentstencil offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:49 am

accentstencil wrote:Pardon my ignorance but what is a stub process?

It may not be your ignorance, but mine.:p

When a device boots up, a number of processes run to accomplish what the manufacturer intended to happen. And some of these remain resident and running in the background.
1) Device OS loads
2) Process A loads a power module
3) Process B loads a volume module or other custom device module.
3) Process C loads a menu or runs Nav software automatically
Etc.
I call these individual processes "stubs" which is probably not correct.
Y.T.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby accentstencil » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:59 am

Yurbuh Tuggly wrote:It may not be your ignorance, but mine.:p

When a device boots up, an number of processes run to accomplish what the manufacturer intended to happen. And some of these remain resident and running in the background.
1) Device OS loads
2) Process A loads a power module
3) Process B loads a volume module or other custom device module.
3) Process C loads a menu or runs Nav software automatically
Etc.
I call these individual processes "stubs" which is probably not correct.
I think I understand, Igo is trying to open before these processes have taken place?
accentstencil offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:03 am

accentstencil wrote:Igo is trying to open before these processes have taken place?

Possibly. But as FBF said earlier, these can be hardware (and software) dependent. It all depends on how the device was designed to run by whomever manufactured it. Not all devices run the same types of processes in the same order...or at all.
Y.T.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about iGO core