TTS Route name and 3d view questions   

TTS Route name and 3d view questions

Postby argee » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:19 am

Hi all,

Thanks to this form I have Primo (gurjon skin with TTS) running on a Chinese GPS with 64 mb RAM. I do have 2 minor issues, however.

1. When saying a road name, it will not say the street name if it is a regional or county road number (eg it will say "RR 44" when I would like it to say "RR 44 Main St."). I had this working the way I would like on iGo 8.3, but for the life of me I can't remember what I changed nor can I find the post on it. (I guess you could consider this a memory issue) :cool:

2. When I go onto a highway the 3d view goes all wacko. The top 3/4 of the screen is the same colour while the bottom shows the part of the map properly. Occasionally it flashes the view it should, but that only last for half a second or so. If I change to the zoomed in 3d view or the overhead view it works fine. Is this a memory issue?

Thanks for any replies
argee offline

Postby chas521 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:03 am

argee wrote:Hi all,

Thanks to this form I have Primo (gurjon skin with TTS) running on a Chinese GPS with 64 mb RAM. I do have 2 minor issues, however.

1. When saying a road name, it will not say the street name if it is a regional or county road number (eg it will say "RR 44" when I would like it to say "RR 44 Main St."). I had this working the way I would like on iGo 8.3, but for the life of me I can't remember what I changed nor can I find the post on it. (I guess you could consider this a memory issue) :cool:

2. When I go onto a highway the 3d view goes all wacko. The top 3/4 of the screen is the same colour while the bottom shows the part of the map properly. Occasionally it flashes the view it should, but that only last for half a second or so. If I change to the zoomed in 3d view or the overhead view it works fine. Is this a memory issue?

Thanks for any replies

1. Did you download and install my Primo from my device with my modified TTS_LOQ folder? Because inside that folder is the .lex file that can be pronunciation modified. Or you can go into the command.csv file in the particular voice.

2. It's very possible that it can be a memory issue. Does it happen every time? It's also possible that it needs a reset or to have the "save" folder deleted.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby argee » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:56 pm

Thanks Chas.

1. Yes I downloaded your file a few weeks ago. I think it might of be the csv file I edited last time. Any idea what I need to change to say the full name?

2. This morning I noticed that, if no route is programmed, the view works correctly. I have deleted the "save" folder, so we'll see what happens.
argee offline

Postby chas521 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:03 pm

argee wrote:Thanks Chas.

1. Yes I downloaded your file a few weeks ago. I think it might of be the csv file I edited last time. Any idea what I need to change to say the full name?

2. This morning I noticed that, if no route is programmed, the view works correctly. I have deleted the "save" folder, so we'll see what happens.

1. Honestly, no. This is something that you'll probably have to do on your own. I will say this though. My experience in using Primo navigation is that it navigates differently than iGO and Amigo even using the same mapset so the voice might be affected also.

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby scarey » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:56 pm

agree,to make primo say the street name rather than the road name , try putting this in your sys.txt....

[tts]
tts_buffer=131072
tts_logics=3
priority="HIGH"
always_say_road_names=1
announce_street_name=1
announce_exit_directions=1
skip_exit_numbers=0
scarey offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby argee » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:02 pm

Thanks, Scarey. I had that in there but not in the same order. I wouldn't think affects it, but I changed it anyway. I'll let you know the results.
argee offline

Postby argee » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:04 pm

Could you guys post your working sys.txt settings? I'm wondering if that's the root of both issues.
argee offline

Postby argee » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:20 pm

Just an update.

The changes made no difference with either issue. I'm pretty sure the display issue is a memory problem, so I'll live with it. As for annoucing the entire road name, I'll keep looking into it and post if I find anything.

Thanks to both Chas an Scarey for the suggestions.
argee offline

Postby scarey » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:16 pm

just a last thought argee, try deleting the 'save' folder...sometimes this helps ....
scarey offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby chas521 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:45 pm

argee wrote:Just an update.

The changes made no difference with either issue. I'm pretty sure the display issue is a memory problem, so I'll live with it. As for annoucing the entire road name, I'll keep looking into it and post if I find anything.

Thanks to both Chas an Scarey for the suggestions.

Argee,
Sometimes too much content can cause an error. Dem files can cause errors, too large speedcam files [area] can cause an error, too many maps can cause an error and probably some other things that I missed here. Just a thought and throwing it out there.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby argee » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:59 pm

I think I found the solution to the road name issue. I'll try it tonight then post the settings.

I had deleted the Speedcam files and 'Save' folder, but not the dem files. I'll try that and see if it fixes the display issue. As I said, it's not really a big deal. I think I actually prefer the 2d view anyway.
argee offline

Postby argee » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:40 am

Partial good news!! Changed my sys.txt to this:

[tts]

automatic_direction_conversion=1 ;(1)
tts_buffer=65536 ;(10240=10k) 32786=32k
announce_exit_directions=1 ;(0)
priority=CRITICAL ; CRITICAL VERY_HIGH HIGH NORMAL LOW VERY_LOW
always_say_road_names=3 ;(0) 1 or 2 or 3
skip_exit_numbers=0 ;(0) 1 or 2

and it now says the street name rather than the #!! Goodbye "RR44" hello Lake Street!!

I can't take credit for the solution as I'm just reposting from somewhere else.

I'll play around with the display settings to see if I can get 3d working properly, but I'm not too optimistic about that. I think its a limitation of my GPS specifically.

Thanks guys.
argee offline

Postby VFR800VTEC » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:50 pm

My display would do funky things when switching between 2d and 3d views. I deleted the dem and building files and it works perfectly now. The 2d/3d view angles are more important to me than seeing terrain and buildings.

Mine almost always says the route number and the street name, it will say "turn left onto Route 100, Chestnut Street". I don't have anything special in the sys.txt, but I am using the nuance TTS, not loquendo.

I think .hnr maps with nuance TTS will be the perfect solution. I'm just waiting for North America .hnr maps to become available. I had to mod the heck out of loquendo to make it suitable for my local area, nuance works much better with no mods. Pronunciations are better and there are less errors.
VFR800VTEC offline

Postby argee » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:20 am

Thanks, VF. I haven't had much time to play with my GPS lately, but I'll delete those and see what happens.

Is there a timetable for the .hnr files for NA? I'd love to see what sort of difference they'd make.
argee offline

Postby VFR800VTEC » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:45 am

I don't know when to expect .hnr type NA maps, as far as I know a NA device with Primo has not yet been released, so we have to wait until that happens, and then wait again for the right person to get their hands on one. I'm only speculating that they will work better together because all the official releases of Primo (Europe) use this new type of map and the nuance TTS. One of the biggest problems I have had with loquendo and .fbl maps is the ability to differentiate between abbreviations for words like street and saint. For example, as it is now for "St Peter St." it with either say "Street Peter Street" or "Saint Peter Saint", but not the correct "Saint Peter Street". There are fairly easy ways to correct this with loquendo, but it's a tiring process to try to fix all the errors. I can just imagine a package that works correctly right out of the box, and I think hnr/nuance may be the package, and may be the reason NNG has made the change.
VFR800VTEC offline

Next

Return to General Discussions about iGO core