Stuttering TTS cures for Primo 1.1?   

Stuttering TTS cures for Primo 1.1?

Postby Galane » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:49 am

I finally got a version of Primo and a skin that work together. iGO 8.5.11.168090 with GJA_v2.25.

When I run the demos and when I program a route, the TTS voices have pauses when they say street names.

It does that with or without the skin active.

It's on a Nextar 43LT, using the 2010 Q2 Tele Atlas maps and POIS, no 3D buildings or DEM files.

So far, I've not had good results on this device with anything but the annoyingly too simplified Amigo that came with it.

I wonder if editing the startup to directly launch iGO instead of the shell program it does by default would help?
Galane offline

Postby chas521 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:49 pm

@Galane

Possibly but I doubt it. Put this in your sys.txt it should help:

[sound]
queue_length=200
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Galane » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:32 am

Doesn't help a bit. I also tried all this I found somewhere

Code: Select all
[debug]
reserve_memory=1835008
cache=262144
tts_min_ready_wav=1
tts_getaway_time=100
tts_expected_engine_delay=1400
sound_q_length=200

[tts]
tts_buffer=131072

[sound]
sound_q_length=200
queue_length=200

which also did nothing for the pauses.
Galane offline

Postby Galane » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:15 am

It appears to have been the Fujifilm Class 2 4gig SDHC card. I made a fresh setup on my Lexar Class 2 4gig SDHC then ran the demos. No pauses in the middle of it speaking TTS street names. =)

What is *very puzzling* about this is I timed reading and writing the same set of almost 4 gigs of MP3 files on both cards, and also used a SD card benchmarking utility. The Fujifilm card specced out up to 3x faster than the Lexar. I figured faster had to be better...

Could be Fujifilm cards are ****, or they're very picky about which devices they work well in. I had a 4gig Class 6 Fujifilm micro SD in my LG Env2 phone and it'd constantly go invisible, but not in my sister's Samsung Lotus phone. Might also be the cause of save and scheme folders getting corrupted, forcing a reformat of the card to get rid of them.

No more Fujifilm memory cards for me! The cost saving ain't worth the compatibility issues!
Galane offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:15 am

I only ever use Sandisk cards, Never had one go u/s.
The speed of the card makes no difference i found.

The microSD to SD adaptors though...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Galane » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:59 am

Something else I found is that the Nextar Q4 series shares the same issue with one of the the mios on the SEC S3C2410X Test B/D hardware where if you make changes on the SD card then put it back in the GPS without resetting it, it'll corrupt or delete some of the files. The forum post said something about the unit caching the FAT on the card when powered up from a reset.

"I reject your FAT and substitute my own!"

Pop the card in and out with it on (GPS app NOT running) or with it off, but without making changes using some other device (like a computer) and it's happy happy. Change something on the card then pop it back in the GPS without a reset lobotomy and it throws a fit and trashes a folder or a file or two. I doubt it's a general bug in WinCE Core 5.0, I never had such a problem with my RW200, must be something specific to this particular hardware.

Looks like the corruption wasn't the Fuji card, but the TTS stuttering was. I just had to reformat my Lexar card and put Primo on it again because when I went to copy the nicely working setup the POI visibilities and the UnitedStates DEM files were corrupted. *Then* I went searching to find out WTH was up with it. Solved the mystery of why some times it'd lose edits to system.ini or sys.txt and at least once the skin archive vanished and one time it wiped the entire card.

Since Windows guards corrupted files and folders like a mama grizzly bear protects her cubs, a reformat is the only way to eliminate them. I've tried many file killer/deleter utilities and so far none will get rid of them. Proper behavior of an OS towards bad files and folders that cannot be repaired should be to blast them away, not protecting them!

Edit: Did some googling and the mio C310x shows up to windows as a SEC S3C2410X Test B/D. I wonder if its firmware could be put on the Nextar Q4 series? Wouldn't be much point if mio doesn't have a cure for the CD corruption.
Galane offline

Postby chas521 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:32 pm

@Galane

I doubt that changing the firmware will produce anything - it probably won't work at all. You've been around long enough to know that all this electronic stuff has its own way of doing things [its own mind if you wish]. Some devices just will not work 100% or at all. Why? Who knows, but there is a reason. There was a site that showed what SD cards worked well - I don't remember where though, I'll see if I can find it again and post it here. The SDHC card I use in my Mio C320 is a Lexar 8GB class 4 which works very nicely.

Do all the programs on your device stutter? How about the non-TTS voices?
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Galane » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:55 am

It was just the TTS voices when saying the street names. Changing brands of SD card cured it. I dunno why, it just did, so that's good enough for me! Now I can use it and don't have to put up with the "GPS For Dummies" iGO Amigo. ;)
Galane offline

Postby bazzle » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:37 am

Also different card readers sometimes corrupt data, and also sometimes if you dont eject properly with "safely remove hardware"

I have found a card reader that seems to cover all my bases..................so far..

Bazzle
bazzle offline

User avatar Senior Member

Return to General Discussions about iGO core