Strange Hardware Issue---Reboot at High Volume   

Strange Hardware Issue---Reboot at High Volume

Postby pitcritter » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:30 pm

OK, here's a strange one...

I've been running iGo and now Primo on my 4.3" Chinese PNA for years now. It's the standard CE device that's so common here with the YFAtlas system installed.

It's worked flawlessly for me. It's taken everything I've thrown at it over the years even though it doesn't really have the horsepower to handle it. It's done full TTS, lots of DEMs, maps, POIs...the works.

Recently, it has started rebooting at what seemed to be random times. I narrowed it down to something kind of interesting though. If I keep the volume set at midrange or so, it never skips a beat. Same thing on "Mute". When I crank it up to full, the first "Ding" or spoken direction initiates a re-boot instantly.

This happens on both iGo (both full and completely stripped down to essentials) and Primo, so I've got to believe that it's a hardware (or a CE) issue.

I can't be sure, but it may have started when I installed the latest Primo release.

More background that may be pertinent. The battery died over a year ago. It won't last five minutes unplugged. I wonder if the high volume may actually be drawing so much power that the unit is starved for juice?

I'm using a good quality Motorola mini USB CLA, (1A, I believe), so it shouldn't be an issue, but I thought I'd give you all the info I had.

Is there a way to reinstall CE and start from absolute scratch on these devices?

If my problem isn't hardware, it might be worth a shot.

Thanks,
John
4.3" Generic Chinese Device
iGo Primo 8.59.142948
HTC Droid Incredible 2 Running CM7
iGo Primo 9.6.7.235654
NavTeq Canada & US 2011.Q4
Home: N43.1028240 W79.0751899
pitcritter offline

Postby nabi » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:59 pm

pitcritter wrote:
Is there a way to reinstall CE and start from absolute scratch on these devices?

John, this is a matter for Fatboyfun. I stay out of it ;)

But never the less, I give you my thoughts.

It started when you installed the latest Primo. What Primo? 2.4? Or the latest 2.0?
I cannot comment on 2.4 but latest Primo 2 (both 2.0 and 2.01) are no more than OEM releases for specific new devices. This could very well be the cause of your problem. Because a new Primo is nothing more than an adaption to either the specific hardware or the specific driver or specific OEM Windows CE. Now what can happen is that your device misses a driver, a hardware component, a ... I don't know, what is present in the original device and your device crashes on that miss. Or on the older version. Or on ....
I say CAN HAPPEN. I can't be sure. But isn't it the easiest to get rid of the latest and re-install the working pre-latest build? Maybe a reset and the problem might be solved.
No risk turning your device in a paper weight ;)

Just my 2cts
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby Fatboyfun » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:10 pm

I have seen devices with bad batteries crashing or rebooting on beeps and other loud noises, also it's not uncommon to see vibration from internal speakers cause problems with dry solder joints or loose connections.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby pitcritter » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:39 pm

Thanks Fatboyfun. That sounds like my issue.

I'm guessing that taking it apart to try to replace the batteries is likely an exercise in frustration.
iGo Primo 8.59.142948
iGo Primo 9.6.7.235654
pitcritter offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:20 am

Not always, just be careful with the choice of replacement battery.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby pitcritter » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:13 pm

Laziness and lack of confidence in my abilities means that I'll be keeping the volume low, not replacing the batteries. :D

Thanks for the replies.
iGo Primo 8.59.142948
iGo Primo 9.6.7.235654
pitcritter offline

Return to General Discussions about iGO core