Still trying to fix dad's Mio Digiwalker 269+   

Still trying to fix dad's Mio Digiwalker 269+

Postby sep1i » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:32 pm

Thank you chas521 for trying to help me, but I'm still not there yet.

Originally you commented in my own thread at:

http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?2100-How-do-I-install-Igo-on-a-Mio-DigiWalker-269

(269+ actually)

There you directed me to a thread where you helped someone else do pretty much what I wanted:

http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?1997-Help-with-running-Primo-IGO8-on-same-SD-card-%28C320b%29/page8

Both there and in many other places you refer to a page with the iGo 8.3 package needed to accomplish this magical trick:
http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?1837-Working-iGO-8.3-from-my-device

Sadly, when I go there none of the links are valid, so I can't grab the version of iGo you recommend.

I have been able to download the Primo, from your other similar page, but I don't know if any of the other IGo packages also will work, but I grabbed one version at least.

This is the first time that I have been able to get my hands on my parents' gps, so I haven't tried to do anything before today.

Currently I can't even get the Mio Transfer Hack to work!
The Mio Transfer program supplied with the gps doesn't have the MUT.DLL file required to run the hack. The files are installed in this dir: c:\Program Files\MiTAC Research (Shanghai) Ltd\
And the FileTran.exe version is 5.3.402.824 from 2005-08-30.

I have managed to figure out how to run the MioPocket 4 installation, using the suggestions for a regular 269 (renaming to Oscar100DM.exe/.mscr and using the stylus + buttons to start), but when installation completes, it never reboots :-( Thereby rendering the installation pointless. Only way to leave the "Trying to reboot screen" is to power down, which of course removes the installation from memory completely. [EDIT: I know run MioPocket4. It just started to work on next power up. Damn, that thing is complex!]

I have found there is an update for my 269+ from V2 to v3.2, [Please Register or Login to download file] This turns out to be a .bin file, which I have no clue whatsoever how to install! Just putting it in the root of an SD and booting the system seems to accomplish nothing. I've found no menu in the Mio to update, so I don't know how to update it.

Runninng MioPocket 4.0 rev66 I am trying to figure out how I should put the different GPS programs on the SD-card, so MP4 will find them. After that I guess what I need are up-to-date maps over Sweden/Europe.

I've put your "Primo from my device" on the SD in a Primo directory and told MioPocket to use the IGO.exe file in that dir. I did the same with one IGO8 package (the one from Vacationpix.rar), but when I tried to run that the GPS just started flashing and never actually started the gps program.

Now I'm off to bed, so I guess I'll get back to testing some more in the morning.

If there is a better way to do this, then please advise. Also, I still have no clue how to run that Mio 3.2 update (the .bin file). I don't even know if that will make the system more or less likely to work.
Any help at all would be appreciated.

I did a desperate googling before falling asleep and found a guide for updating the ROM:

Code: Select all
3) download winceimg.bin to an empty SD memory card.

* Click on the download button and click on Open. The image below will vary depending on the operating language of your computer and your browser.
zip download
* In the zip file you will see a winceimg.bin file. Unzip/extract the file in the zip file to a directory on your computer (be sure to remember this directory).
* Insert an empty SD memory card (minimum 32MB and maximum 256MB) in your computer (or in an SD card reader) and copy/paste the winceimg.bin file to the root directory (this means top level) of the SD memory card.

4) Upgrade the ROM image on your Mio

Always use the AC-adapter when upgrading. If power fails during ROM image flashing your device will no longer start. Return for repair will be necessary and is not covered by warranty.

After the upgrade. the default settings will be restored on your device. Furthermore all contacts. destinations. POI data previously saved on your device will be lost.

* Attach your Mio to the power via the AC adapter and check if the device is charging (red light).
* Set the hardware reset switch on the back to 'OFF' using your stylus pen.
hard reset switch
* Hold down the 'zoom out button' (see image below) while switching the hardware reset switch back to 'ON'. Hold down the zoom out button until a blue screen appears.
enter boot mode
* Insert the SD memory card with the winceimg.bin in the root directory
* Select option '1=WinCe Image (SD/MMC)'. Navigate with the navigation wheel and select by pressing the middle of the navigation wheel.
wheel
* The ROM upgrade will start now. This will take a few minutes. DO NOT INTERRUPT THE UPGRADE AND/OR DISCONNECT THE AC ADAPTER WHILE THIS OPERATION IS ONGOING. Do not remove the SD memory card during the upgrade.
The upgrade is finished when at the bottom of the screen the following message is displayed: 'SD/MMC Upgrade. Flashing finished. ROM upgrade OK. Restart your device. Flash erased 100%'.
rom update
* Reset your device by switching the hardware reset button to 'OFF'. Remove the SD memory card.
sep1i offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby chas521 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:16 pm

First of all, congratulations on a most-informative post. It must have taken you quite a while to write it. Unfortunately, what happens is that links are "killed" by the uploading sites pretty quickly and it is pretty difficult to stay ahead of them. This is why we ask ALL the members to upload mirrors so that we have the links in our library for other to enjoy.

OK, new link for the unlock: [Please Register or Login to download file]

I would not try to upgrade your device. If there is any sort of hiccup then your device will be dead forever. Miopocket is an excellent program but it is too bloated for me. Therefore, I use ONLY the unlock [link above] and my device works fine.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby sep1i » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:28 pm

Brilliant!
I've grabbed them both.
Now, would it be a good idea for me to rename your files and push them up again on mirrorcreator? Or will that only increase the risk of them being taken down?
If someone is scanning this forum for links, then it doesn't really matter how many times we put it up, they will take it down asap.

What about my issue with the Mio Transfer Hack? I can't have te correct version of Mio Transfer, since I don't have the MUT*.dll files (I've seen that there are two files mentioned mut.dll and mutcint.dll I think the other was called).
sep1i offline

Postby sep1i » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:54 pm

chas521 wrote:First of all, congratulations on a most-informative post. It must have taken you quite a while to write it. ...

I would not try to upgrade your device. If there is any sort of hiccup then your device will be dead forever. Miopocket is an excellent program but it is too bloated for me. Therefore, I use ONLY the unlock [link above] and my device works fine.

Yes, I kept the post open several hours while I was reading and testing various things.

Hmm, nervous about upgrading? Frequently run into people with bricked Mios?
Personally I update firmwares of my SonyEricsson Xperia mobile phone and my WDTVLive mediaplayer all the time; my Wii has custom fw; I reinstall computers every day and I'm typing this on my laptop running Sabayon Gentoo Linux. I don't mind things being a bit tricky, but if there is an unnecessarily high risk of failing the upgrade, then I understand that I shouldn't try it. Especially if there is no advantage in having the Mio running v3.2 instead of v2.0.
sep1i offline

Postby sep1i » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:21 pm

Hey again

Checking the directions of your packages, I don't think I can do that :-/

"Put the Apps folder on the root of your c320's internal drive."

I can't put anything on the internal drive, unless it can be done with the included original MioTransfer app (I don't have a working MioTransferHack).

"Put the MioMap folder and the launchpad folder in the first MioMap folder on your internal drive."

Same problem here.

"Remember to make sure the folder containing MioMap 3.3 (if you still have it) is called Mio3"

I don't see anything at all on the Mio when using the original MioTransfer; it's "empty"/blank. Also, remember, I have only MioMap 2.0.
sep1i offline

Postby chas521 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:59 pm

Let me congratulate you again on knowing how to edit quotes. Also since you're familiar with computers, it will cut down on my explanation. 999 times out of a 1000 you will be fine upgrading the flash, but that one time could be a big problem. One hiccup or a broken file and your device is now dead.

As for MioMap, you will no longer need that [but I suggest that you leave it on your device] because you will using another nav program. I'm not familiar with 2.0 since I have 3.3 on my Mio device. There used to be a 3.3 download available but that was a while ago and I don't know if it's still available. I'll see what I can find. I might even be able to copy my flash drive for you but I have to see what's the story there. [color="red"] Ultimately the upgrading will be up to you if you want to try it.
[/color]
After you get the program working [remember there's no content in the download - you have to add your own], we'll work on your TTS [text to speech].

EDIT: also found this:
Put Miopocket on a SD card and insert it in your card slot hard reset (switch underneath Mio)wait for it to load (couple of minutes) and you will have access to the firmware on your Mio via explorer or Commander CE OK.

Also this: Download the ROM for your Device!
Mio 269= [Please Register or Login to download file]
After Rom upgrade download [Please Register or Login to download file]
they are an Explorer for WinCe, copy the Folder miomap with the content in a SD-Card, start your navigation and WinCe will appear.

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby sep1i » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:40 am

chas521 wrote:Let me congratulate you again on knowing how to edit quotes. Also since you're familiar with computers, it will cut down on my explanation. 999 times out of a 1000 you will be fine upgrading the flash, but that one time could be a big problem. One hiccup or a broken file and your device is now dead.

Ok, was worried that it was a common issue.

As for MioMap, you will no longer need that [but I suggest that you leave it on your device] because you will using another nav program. I'm not familiar with 2.0 since I have 3.3 on my Mio device. There used to be a 3.3 download available but that was a while ago and I don't know if it's still available. I'll see what I can find. I might even be able to copy my flash drive for you but I have to see what's the story there. [color="red"] Ultimately the upgrading will be up to you if you want to try it.
[/color]

Understood. If you can grab your flash, will that "just work" on my Mio? If I understand it correctly, you have a C320 and I didn't know its content was compatible with my 269+.

After you get the program working [remember there's no content in the download - you have to add your own], we'll work on your TTS [text to speech].

I will find proper content elsewhere in the forum, right? Maps for Europe, Scandinavia or Sweden (in order of priority) and POIs and other tidbits. I also have great access via torrents, if all that I need is recent maps for IGo8.3.

EDIT: also found this: Put Miopocket on a SD card and insert it in your card slot hard reset (switch underneath Mio)wait for it to load (couple of minutes) and you will have access to the firmware on your Mio via explorer or Commander CE OK.

ahhh, that was clever. Then I can put files on the SD and move them with the MioPocket Commande CE to the internal drive as per your earlier suggestion.

Also this: Download the ROM for your Device!
Mio 269= [Please Register or Login to download file]

oh, wow, did you find an even newer version of my rom than Mio themselves are offering!? You found a version R23, where mine was called R15, though there is a small diference in the name. Look here:
Mine - Mio269RP_NEC_EUR_R15.zip
Yours - Mio269_NEC_EUR_R23.zip
Notice I have "RP" in mine. I don't really know what that pertains to. Also, my R15 is 3 days "newer" than your R23. 2006-11-13 to 2006-11-10.
What do you think?

After Rom upgrade download [Please Register or Login to download file]
they are an Explorer for WinCe, copy the Folder miomap with the content in a SD-Card, start your navigation and WinCe will appear.

Hit a forced 1 hour waiting period on the ul.to website for last download. Will grab it later (as in after I get some sleep. Once again the clock is creeping close to 04.00 and I should get some sleep, before I have to get up at 06.00 ... :-/
EDIT, somewhat later :-) Stayed up reading some blogs. Grabbed the MioMap.rar, such a small file! So this thing will be autoloaded, if I just put it on the SD? Cool! No need for the "bloated" :-) MioPocket then!? I will test that tomorrow night (eh, tonight, I mean). This is what I need to be able to put the material from your Mio onto my internal drive? END of edit

Thank you so much for helping me. It would be so nice to bring this old device up-to-speed, so my parents aren't sent off on goose hunts when trying to go from A to B. :-)
sep1i offline

Postby chas521 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:02 pm

Seriously, sleep is more important. Don't kill yourself trying to get it done. It's just not worth it. You have to remember this. My device is MioMap 3.3 so I have no idea about 2.0 [your device] and how MY 3.3 will affect your 269+. All I can tell you is that 3.3 opens up on the internal flash drive to the files you need to change. I'll upload my flash drive for you to download and then it will be completely your choice if you want to try it. What's the worst that could happen? It won't work! Even if you kill your device, the price of some new GPS devices is low [for the most part]. This is important though, ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR DEVICE FIRST IN CASE THERE IS A PROBLEM. I think it will work because your device will not be using the installed MioMap to run but the unlock MioMap.

This is my 3.3 Flash drive with the unlock. The MioMap is the unlock MioMap. Just extract it to your Flash drive, completely uninstall MioPocket and you should be good to go.
[Please Register or Login to download file]

Maps here: http://www.navitotal.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?82-Maps-buildings-dem-POI-%2821-164%29VSa

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby sep1i » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:36 pm

chas521 wrote:...ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR DEVICE FIRST IN CASE THERE IS A PROBLEM. ...

Is there a backup tool in MioPocket, or what should I use to do that?

This is my 3.3 Flash drive with the unlock. The MioMap is the unlock MioMap. Just extract it to your Flash drive, completely uninstall MioPocket and you should be good to go. ...

"Extract it to your Flash drive" - do you mean the internal drive, or the SD-card (sometimes called Flash drive - hence my question). If you mean the internal, then I should use either MioPocket or the smaller WinCE Explorer you provided to copy files from the SD to the internal drive, right?

Currently I am a bit confused, since we have discussed so many alternative ways to fix the gps, that I'm not certain which I should go for first and then which I should try if that doesn't work.
sep1i offline

Postby chas521 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:03 pm

sep1i wrote:Is there a backup tool in MioPocket, or what should I use to do that?

"Extract it to your Flash drive" - do you mean the internal drive, or the SD-card (sometimes called Flash drive - hence my question). If you mean the internal, then I should use either MioPocket or the smaller WinCE Explorer you provided to copy files from the SD to the internal drive, right?

Currently I am a bit confused, since we have discussed so many alternative ways to fix the gps, that I'm not certain which I should go for first and then which I should try if that doesn't work.

OK, let's take this step by step. You will NOT need MioPocket if you want to use my unlock instead. Therefore, delete ALL of MP and backup everything else that you now have on your device to your computer. You are only doing this as a preventative in case something goes wrong with the installation. In that event, you can then reinstall the backed up files/folders.

The Flash drive IS your internal Mio drive. It has nothing to do with a Flash Thumb drive. The SD card is the SD card. You've uninstalled MP so forget about that and forget about the smaller WinCE Explorer unless you can't get to the internal drive. Then you'll probably need it.

Believe it or not, I made it easy for you by giving you all the links that you'll need. But I can understand your confusion.

Here goes. Follow it completely.
1. Copy the MM 3.3 unlock link I made for you directly to your internal Mio drive.
2. Using Winrar, from the first page of the iGO download where ONLY the iGO8 folder is showing, extract to your SD card.
3. The content is empty except for the basemap so you have to download a map which goes into content\map. It will have an extension of .fbl.
4. Open the sys.txt and look for the numbers "480_272". Change them to "320_240". Don't forget to save the file before exiting.
5. Completely shutdown your device, wait a few seconds and then restart. You should be good to go.
6. We'll talk about TTS later.

You can also look here: Mio Digiwalker 269+
[Please Register or Login to download file]

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby sep1i » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:09 am

chas521 wrote:OK, let's take this step by step. You will NOT need MioPocket if you want to use my unlock instead. Therefore, delete ALL of MP and backup everything else that you now have on your device to your computer. You are only doing this as a preventative in case something goes wrong with the installation. In that event, you can then reinstall the backed up files/folders.

The parts of the internal drive which are accessible to me are empty. It has only ever been used as a gps with the original content.

The Flash drive IS your internal Mio drive. It has nothing to do with a Flash Thumb drive. The SD card is the SD card. You've uninstalled MP so forget about that and forget about the smaller WinCE Explorer unless you can't get to the internal drive. Then you'll probably need it.

Yes, I do need something to access the internal drive. Sadly, I can't seem to figure out how to use the small wince-explorer. I put it in a MioMap fodler on the SD and restarted the gps. No matter what I do then, it only runs the normal navigation programs, totally ignoring what's on the SD. I never tried using MP4 to access the internal drive, since I uninstalled it at the beginning of this discussion, as I wasn't supposed to need it. The only way to start MP4 is by pushing Flag/Set and VolumeUp on powering up the device. Trying that with the small wince-x accomplishes nothing. I only get the familiar "No DM in HDD or SD".

Believe it or not, I made it easy for you by giving you all the links that you'll need. But I can understand your confusion.

Much appreciated :-)

Here goes. Follow it completely.
1. Copy the MM 3.3 unlock link I made for you directly to your internal Mio drive.

This is where I am stuck. I will try to use MP4 to access the internal drive, unless you have a solution for using the smaller explorer.

2. Using Winrar, from the first page of the iGO download where ONLY the iGO8 folder is showing, extract to your SD card.
3. The content is empty except for the basemap so you have to download a map which goes into content\map. It will have an extension of .fbl.
4. Open the sys.txt and look for the numbers "480_272". Change them to "320_240". Don't forget to save the file before exiting.
5. Completely shutdown your device, wait a few seconds and then restart. You should be good to go.
6. We'll talk about TTS later.

Perfectly clear! Downloaded and copied map files (fbl & poi) and edited sys.txt.
sep1i offline

Postby sep1i » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:09 am

sep1i wrote:...
This is where I am stuck. I will try to use MP4 to access the internal drive, unless you have a solution for using the smaller explorer.

Ok, using MP4 I seem to be able to access the internal drive.
What I found there might be a bit disconcerting, though. :-/

This is what I see when I enter what MP4 calls the \Storage Card\ (which has a different icon from the other dirs, apart from the others mentioned below).
\ApplicationData\ (contains two dirs with content: Calculator, PictureViewer)
\installation\ (containing MioMap_language-of-my-choice-on-power-up_20.cab, about 8 MB each, autorunce.exe and Syscfg.dat)
\MAPS\ (which contains a single file: Europe.map, 1.52 GB)
\Mp3\
\My Picture\

(It has 694 MB free space, with 1.65 GB used.)

The "device/dir" \SD Card\ of course contains the content of the SD, MioPocket4 on my 2 GB SD.

Then there is one more dir with the same kind of icon called \My Flash Disk\.
This dir has the following content:
\MioAutoRun\ (dirs: \System\ (with dlls), \Windows\ (with a Wallpaper dir with a .bmp file); files: AutoRunMgr.exe, Launch.exe,Launch.ini)
\mnav_ucf\ (with empty dir: \Routes\ and files: favorites.txt, prefs.ini, upd.ini)
\PIM\ (with the two files: Contacts.pcd and Contacts.txt. These seem to be edited by my parents, with relevant addresses they have favourited.)
\Syscfg.dat (a file)

(It has only 8.74 MB free, with 1.05 MB used).

The root \ of the filesystem is most likely only a temporary install of MioPocket into RAM.

So, I am now completely lost! I have no clue where to put the file you have given me.
sep1i offline

Postby chas521 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:05 pm

I AM GOING TO SHOOT YOU! You do not listen to what I am telling you and the information that I gave you. You keep making it harder than it needs to be. Did you go to the mio site link for your device that I gave you above? There is a program there for your device model that gives you the opportunity to see the internal drive. Once you can see the internal drive just download and extract the 3.3 that I uploaded for you to the internal drive. It has the unlock already included. Nothing for you to do except backup first before you do anything.

You will copy all that I gave you to an empty device and SD card.

EDIT: Also see this: http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?2950-Total-Commander&highlight=total+commander

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby sep1i » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:15 pm

chas521 wrote:I AM GOING TO SHOOT YOU!...

haha, you edited that link after I posted my continued whining about not making it work. :-) (Though, as you probably read, I was mostly whining about things I thought would or wouldn't work, since I only tried a restricted few things.) I've grabbed the files present there and will test using them tomorrow afternoon; following your instructions more closely (maybe I was tired).

Now, I'm off to the cinema!
Thank you for you patience. ;-)
sep1i offline

Postby chas521 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:21 pm

Good luck and keep us posted.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Next

Return to General Discussions about iGO core