Save folder advice   

Save folder advice

Postby chas521 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:39 pm

I think that it's important to point this out again. A lot of you members who post here with questions seem to be missing a necessary part. When we or anyone else give you support that requires you to edit something on your device or in the program itself there is going to be change in the way the program then "reads" things.

The save folder contains your options and history. When you don't delete the save folder after making changes, for the most part, the previous program options and memory will show up and not the changes you made. Obviously, I'm not talking about making a content change such as maps and POIs or voice changes. But changing the license or data.zip or the .exe or making a change in the sys.txt, etc. are the type of things that will change the way it operates.

Incidentally, don't concern yourself with deleting the save folder. A new one will be created the next time you start the program. :)
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Yurbuh Yuggly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:27 pm

Totally agree....though I can understand how some might be afraid of losing "everything" that they may have put some time into (favorites, routes, specific user lists such as external program paths, etc).
For those people, from the Save folder, copy and save elsewhere:
Routes folder
Userlists folder
poi_visibilities.txt file
Roadblocks.* file(s)
user.upoi file

Then, after restarting, place these files/folders back into the new Save folder, restart again, and your stuff will be back.
Yurbuh Yuggly offline

Banned Users

Postby nabi » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:06 pm

Deleting the Save directory is a complete reset of iGO's/Primo's settings. All settings are gone, including all technical settings like resolution, GPS port and baud, and all logical (Language, voice, satellite time, last position, ...).
Thus it could be a good advice to keep the system.ini subfolder from the working device (!!!) too.

When after an upgrade or whatever reason, the initialization goes wrong, important info can be found in that system.ini.
Examples:
- for Primo a correct data.zip is needed, but which one? - much needed info (the resolution) can be found in system.ini.
- after the upgrade, the satellites can not be found, then port and baud can be found in system.ini and added in sys.txt.
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby catsmokey » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:53 pm

hi
a bit confused but just to clarify if i am correct; i have just changed my primo 1.2 igo.exe to build 9.2.1.179499 Feb 15 2011 from build 9.2.1.178658 Feb 9 2011: so should i now delete the "save" folder & all its contents now then?
thku catsmokey
catsmokey offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:07 pm

I would try it out first and if there's any problem delete the save folder and start again.

I always make a copy of the save folder somewhere on the device after i've set up iGO (Primo) just in case something goes wrong later, I can then reset it back without starting from scratch. Similar to System Restore on your PC.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby chas521 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:14 am

catsmokey wrote:hi
a bit confused but just to clarify if i am correct; i have just changed my primo 1.2 igo.exe to build 9.2.1.179499 feb 15 2011 from build 9.2.1.178658 feb 9 2011: So should i now delete the "save" folder & all its contents now then?
Thku catsmokey

Absolutely!!!!!
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby catsmokey » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:26 am

thku ~ not confused anymore
catsmokey offline

User avatar Junior Member

Return to General Discussions about iGO core