Running a media player through Primo 2.0   

Running a media player through Primo 2.0

Postby archercj » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:10 am

Right then I am now really pleased with my double din WinCE 6 unit running Primo 2.0. I have it loading up Primo from the start.

The big down side of the unit is the WinCE interface. Apart from having a go at cracking this is it possible to add into primo a good media player (have MP3's on a SDCARD) and possible even a radio app as well. If so any recommendations and how do you install them.

And is it a 'bug' that you can only access the SDCARD with the Primo app on it rather than the second SDCARD on these devices (more of a WINCE issue than Primo I think)
archercj offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:33 am

You can add any media app that runs on WinCE 6, and set it up as an external programme in Primo, For best results look for one that has a minimize button, so music plays in the background while primo is running. Did you try Primo's own music player?

A radio app may be a problem to find, as the radio is not usually part of windows ce.

You can also st up Total Commander as an external programme, this will let you see the whole Windows CE file system.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby archercj » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:47 am

Fatboyfun wrote:You can add any media app that runs on WinCE 6, and set it up as an external programme in Primo, For best results look for one that has a minimize button, so music plays in the background while primo is running. Did you try Primo's own music player?

A radio app may be a problem to find, as the radio is not usually part of windows ce.

You can also st up Total Commander as an external programme, this will let you see the whole Windows CE file system.

cheers.

Where would you put the executable and how do you access the app from within primo 2.0. Do you need to add any settings to sys.txt or elsewhere?
archercj offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:19 am

archercj wrote:Where would you put the executable and how do you access the app from within primo 2.0

You can put the media player files in any folder on the SD Card or Internal Storage that you like.
If you use a skin, such as diMka, accessing external programs within Primo is by a button that you can choose to display in a toolbar (main side or top pop-out selections).
Then you can simply scan for programs, and delete from the list those that you don't want.

PS the Media Player native in Primo is still not a stereo application (if you intend to use it through the car stereo speakers)
But that's just my opinion..I could be wrong.
Y.T.
Primo2.4 PrimoAndroid TomTomAndroid
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Fatboyfun » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:21 am

You'll need the dimka skin (poss gja, never tried) there is am external programme option, The whole drive where primo is will be scanned for executables, it's a manual scan and you can delete items you don't want from the list.

Nitrogen is a good mp3 player but it takes a bit of work to make it work on windows ce (adding dlls etc), not sure if it works on ce6 though, but you can make your own skins and it had the minimize option.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby archercj » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:23 am

Yurbuh Tuggly wrote:PS the Media Player native in Primo is still not a stereo application (if you intend to use it through the car stereo speakers)

I wondered about that - Morrissey sounded bloody awful lol

I will give it a go.
archercj offline

Postby archercj » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:43 am

Sorry, might sound thick here. If I drop a program file that is for WinCE o/s, say into the utility folder, will Primo know it is there and give me an option to select it, say when i am modifying my 'quick' menu?

Do I need to do anything to the UTILITY.INI file
archercj offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:52 am

If you use the external programmes feature of the dimka skin then the device will be scanned for exe files and displayed in a list, You don't need to edit any files.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:09 am

archercj wrote:If I drop a program file that is for WinCE o/s, say into the utility folder, will Primo know it is there and give me an option to select it, say when i am modifying my 'quick' menu?
Do I need to do anything to the UTILITY.INI file

No, and no.
See Fatboyfun's answer.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about iGO core