Rosen nav how to install new software.   

Rosen nav how to install new software.

Postby seashell_midwest » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:33 am

I have a Rosen Nav G1. I am trying to update the maps downloaded from the forums here.

System configuration:
Win CE 4.2, Memory 64MB, 480x234.

Things that i have done:
(i) Put the 8.3.5 series software in SD card that came with this navigation system, it does not boot up, it reads the exe file then quits.

(ii) I am able to boot to Miopocket, able to go the file explore and when i click on the software still does not work.

any solutions? If i put the software that came with nav in miopocket it does not work either, I felt that is expected. But I don't know why igo8 8.3.5 series will not work. I thought the screen resolution could be the problem so deleted all other resolution except for 480x234 no success tried to put the screen resolution in the sys.txt test file still did not work. any help will be much appreciated.
seashell_midwest offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:23 am

When was the last time it did work, and what was the configuration/setup then?

PS: Mod with appropriate power...please move this thread to appropriate section. Thanks.

Moved to iGO forum
;)

But that's just my opinion..I could be wrong.
Y.T.
Primo2.4 PrimoAndroid TomTomAndroid
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby seashell_midwest » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:33 am

It works fine when i use the software that came with it, i.e. is rosen igo8.3.1.65xxxx with 2008 maps. I want to use igo 8.3.5 with 2011 maps or if that is not possible would like at least to use 2011 maps in the rosen igo8.3.1.
seashell_midwest offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:47 am

Well I would suggest taking things one step at a time.
First replace just the map files with the newer ones (using the original Nav software), and see if that works.
I don't know which maps you want/need, but see here:
:link:
Any should work with iGo 8.3x.

PS...what is it about iGo 8.35 that makes you want to 'upgrade' to it...is there some feature that you don't currently have but want?
Y.T.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby seashell_midwest » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:05 am

iGO R3/Primo/MyWay (NAVTEQ) USA+Canada 2011.Q4(Released 2012.04)

I downloaded these maps, and put it the map folder, they are not recognized by the rosen igo software.

There is no specific reason for upgrading to 8.3.5 except for the fact that I could put a 4gb sd card and could use a newer maps.

I believe the way rosen system is built is, it opens the igo file which is named as nngnavi.exe, it checks the sd card id, if it does not belong to rosen system it quits. so If I have to have a new sd card, i need a modified software which will not check the sd id. The next problem is the map and license issue. If I can get this to work my hope was i could use other softwares like navigon, garmin, tom-tom interchangeably.. but the difficulty i am having, I doubt i will be able to do it.

I though once you could access windows ce we should just be able to use any available software. the screen resolution of 480x 234 seems to be difficult to get from other softwares. tried navigon and tom-tom exe both don't even open when i click on them.
seashell_midwest offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:25 am

seashell_midwest wrote:I downloaded these maps, and put it the map folder, they are not recognized by the rosen igo software.

Yes, that is a licensing issue. Now I understand your dilemma.
seashell_midwest wrote:the igo file which is named as nngnavi.exe

And that file is currently on your original SD card, right? And what folder is it in?
seashell_midwest wrote:the screen resolution of 480x 234 seems to be difficult

Fairly common with iGo8, maybe not so much with others. Personally, I would stick with iGo8 for the least troubles and best performance.
Have you tried this version:
Igo8-March-5-2011
It sounds like your 'Rosen' menu system is looking for a particular folder/file, so rename/re-create that file structure with the new software on a different SD card. As that device is a little bit older, you may be limited as to the size/type of SD card it supports.

You also mentioned MioPocket? That is a whole other potential can of worms or house of cards, but see if you can do what I mentioned above.
Y.T.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby seashell_midwest » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:42 am

ok will try iGO 8.3.5.183522, earlier tried iGO8-3-5-193799 did not work.

File structure in rosen is: in root there is hsb.txt file which say, \MMC_Storage\NNG\nngnavi.exe

So I have been putting all my programs in the location of nngnavi.exe.

The location is fine, because I get the boot screen with int app before it crashes.

So the interesting thing is the windows ce executes miopocket, nitrogen.exe, itaskmanager, commanderce. but it does complete execution of any navigation software...
seashell_midwest offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:50 am

seashell_midwest wrote:MMC_Storage

That is significant...you may need that name/path later. It is not what is usually typical.
seashell_midwest wrote:So I have been putting all my programs in the location of nngnavi.exe.

As long as your folder on the SD Card is named NNG, and the igo.exe within it is renamed to nngnavi.exe, that all should be OK.

seashell_midwest wrote:windows ce executes miopocket

I have a feeling that once you change out the SD card, you may have certain issues with MioPocket depending how it was installed.
For instance, if MioPocket was installed using the SD card method, but then you put in a different SD card without the MioPocket files/setup on it, all sorts of odd things could happen. Including software failing to execute.
Y.T.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby chas521 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:25 pm

If I could be of a little assistance here [possibly]. One of the main reasons you're having a problem is that you're using the full MioPocket which changes a PNA into a PDA. Your device possibly cannot handle the memory demands placed on it thus the crashing. Make a complete backup first then go here http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?2085-MioPocket-Lite-%28Unlock-for-WinCE-based-devices%29
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby seashell_midwest » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:01 pm

Yurbuh Tuggly wrote:Have you tried this version:
Igo8-March-5-2011

Tried, no successs. One beep, then a rectangular thing looks like a window opening then a rectangular thing like windows closing. And thats all.
chas521 wrote:Your device possibly cannot handle the memory demands placed on it thus the crashing. Make a complete backup first then go here http://www.navitotal.com/showthread....sed-devices%29
NT

will try this and report back.
seashell_midwest offline

Postby seashell_midwest » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:04 pm

Yurbuh Tuggly wrote:Have you tried this version:
Igo8-March-5-2011

did not work. had to remove folder data from the sys.txt (as it was giving unable to find program data error).
seashell_midwest offline

Postby seashell_midwest » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:05 pm

my resolution is 480x234, this has a resolution that are different to it. but still will try to see it works and report back.
seashell_midwest offline

Postby seashell_midwest » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:16 pm

it gives an error:
unable to receive free disk space for \My Flash Disk
line 12(\MMC_Storage\unlock\script\unlocking.mscr)
Freespace=....
seashell_midwest offline

Postby seashell_midwest » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:32 pm

chas521 wrote:crashing. Make a complete backup first then go here http://www.navitotal.com/showthread....sed-devices%29

got a error unable to receive free disc space for \my flash disk.

there was around 1.8GB space in the sd card.
seashell_midwest offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:33 pm

seashell_midwest wrote:my resolution is 480x234, this has a resolution that are different

That's correct...it probably won't work.
seashell_midwest wrote:had to remove folder data from the sys.txt

Yes, that was the correct thing to do in your case.

But I wonder what might happen if you attempted to uninstall MioPocket completely (using the procedure within it), and then tried the (new) iGo on the SD Card all by itself...renamed according to what the standard menu expects.
Y.T.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Next

Return to General Discussions about iGO core