Rosen issues   

Rosen issues

Postby roy67ss » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:12 am

Hi all,

I have a new Rosen Carshow unit that I am having troubles with. I have backup copies of all the navigation files. The problem I am having is that the system does not show any of the poi related options. Places and options of any kind related to poi are greyed out including the emergency services option. Finding addresses works and the maps are all current. I can see, via the about tab, that all of the various states poi files are in fact in the system however, they are all inactive. Many of the maps are also inactive but, there are active ones including those near and around me. I would expect that corresponding poi files should be activated as well and they are not. It appears that I have igo version 9.6.5.242187.

Can anyone suggest a solution to this issue? program? licensing? config?

Roy
roy67ss offline

Re: Rosen issues

Postby jtrosky » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:35 am

Sounds like a licensing issue... Have you installed any map/poi files that you downloaded from this site or other sites like it? The iGo software that comes from Rosen is "copy protected" - if you installed any maps or poi files that you downloaded from sites like this, they probably won't work, because you are not using a cr@cked version of the iGo software.
jtrosky offline

Postby roy67ss » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:34 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I am still totally stock on the system. I am trying to avoid using a cracked version until I have explored all the legitimate possibilities. The Naviextras toolbox and synctool is what allows me to restore the IGo program and update maps on the unit and possibly even change the program. The problems started when I created a backup copy and then restored it to the unit. I am sure that all the licensing, config etc files have remained unchanged. The maps and associated poi files are the originals.

I wonder if the toolbox and synctool will allow even me to put a different program into the unit. It would be real easy if the unit would accept it. Otherwise, I don't know how I would even 'hack' the system.

Roy
roy67ss offline

Postby roy67ss » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:46 am

I have tried changing the global config file with out any luck.

My license folder contains a file with this name. Rosen NN-PR-P11 Primo USA@1503 (TT, DEM, 3D, TTS, CAR, HNR, JV) woEngine.lyc
Judging by the name, is it likely that the POI licensing is not included? Can I rename another .lyc file that has POI in it's name and expect it to work?

Or, as I have just been reading, maybe a simple change to my sys.txt file might help.

Thanks for any help.
roy67ss offline

Postby jtrosky » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:01 pm

Have you went into the Help->About->Content menus to see if the POI data/licenses show up there? That would be my recommendation at this point - see if Primo even sees the POI files and that they are "active" in terms of licensing. This is all done under the Help->About menus (I think Help is in the "More.." menu in that version of Primo.
jtrosky offline

Postby roy67ss » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:39 pm

Yes, the files are all there however, the poi files are ALL inactive along with many of the states, mexico and Canada maps. That was part of my first question. I can understand that the program would be far more efficient if only the maps within a certain radius of my location were loaded at any one time but, I would expect that the corresponding poi files would also be loaded.
roy67ss offline

Postby jtrosky » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:46 pm

Can you post some screenshots that show the Primo directory and the poi directory? Just want to see how the files are laid out, the filenames, filesizes, etc...

Sorry - I forgot that you already mentioned that the stuff was listed in the About section.

Very strange.... I have to ask - why did you do a backup of the unit and then restore it in the first place? Were you having some sort of problem? If it used to work and now doesn't, then either the license file(s) changed or the map/poi files changed. Or they are corrupt.

Have you tried re-restoring again via NaviExtras?

I hate to say it, but NaviExtras Toolbox sucks and makes everything such a PITA - it would be so much easier to get up and running using a cr@cked version!
jtrosky offline

Postby roy67ss » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:32 am

Thanks for the response.

The reason I did a backup in the first place was because I was concerned about the maps and how current they were. I had read somewhere that I had a 30 day window to get free updates on a new unit. At that time, I was not aware of all the options in the system and hadn't gotten to the about screen to see the installed items. I went to Naviextras and went thru the toolbox setup and synctool usb stick business. It asked me to backup the system as part of the procedure with prepping the usb for updates. After I did this, the navigation didn't seem to work right so, I did a 'overwrite navigation' option to restore it to original, or so I thought. That was when I may have lost all the poi reliant options. All other functions seem to work fine although I may not know until I am in the vicinity of junctions, 3d buildings, etc. I don't believe the map/poi/license files can be corrupted as they all appear to be the same as the original backed up files. I am beginning to believe that the licensing was never there for the poi options but, that just doesn't make sense to me. The unit is brand new and I can't really say that those options even worked before my restore as I had not had any time to use it and get thoroughly familiar with it. I was more concerned about current mapping.

I have been doing several restores to the system and have been directed to do these on the advise of the help desk at Naviextras with slight variations. They have finally given up and suggest that I go to Rosen for a solution. Haha, neither they nor carshow will respond to any of my emails. Over the last couple of days, I have successfully managed to change the sys.txt file as well as the global.cfg file with the naviextras toolbox. Neither of these changes have made any difference. I did these changes based on threads I had read here which suggested that these files might be the cause of my issue. I am somewhat surprised that I was able to make these changes and have the toolbox be OK with them. I haven't tried to alter the license files yet. I added these lines to the sys.txt file.
[poi]
poi_show_all_btn=1
poi_labels=1
show_poi_boundingrects=1
show_poi_areas=1
enable_pois_before_0802017=1
I have changed the global cfg file to couple of different ones but I am back to the original version 612505 because it is the latest of those I had.

This Carshow unit has 1 micro sd slot on the front of the unit but, I think there may be one inside that contains the navigation system as the files are restored to a "mmc sd/" or similar drive. This may well be a chip on a board as well. All of my communication with the programming is thru the usb port. Due to this setup, I am not sure that I could even run this unit with a cr@cked IGo program.

I don't have a way to insert the images you have asked for but, if you allow it, I could pm them to you.

I trust some of this is useful in solving my dilemma.

Thanks again,
Roy
roy67ss offline

Postby jtrosky » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:16 pm

What is the model number of the Rosen unit. It sounds like the 1210 model, but I'm only familiar with the GM models personally. The GM models all come with full licensing for everything (buildings, POIs, DEM, TTS, etc). However, I just checked my original Primo SD card and it's license file is named like this:

Code: Select all
Rosen P11 Primo USA@1103 (TT, 3D, PremPOI, PremDEM, 3D, TTS, PHO, CAR, JV, HNR) SD.lyc

So maybe your unit really didn't come with a license for POIs. Seems strange to me, but you'd think it would be in the license filename like it is on my Rosen unit license filename.

Like I said, what it your Rosen model number? Also, I don't have any experience loading cr@cked software to the units that store the GPS data internally - my unit has (2) SD Card slots - one for media and one for the GPS app/data, which makes things SO much easier to customize.
jtrosky offline

Postby roy67ss » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:31 pm

Yes it is the 1210 model. It just doesn't seem likely that it didn't come with a license for poi's but, if the file name is any indication, it may well be that it didn't. I have sort of a work around set up now by converting a lot of poi's to .kml format and storing them under the userdata folder. I can only think of 2 other options now. I could maybe to return the thing on warranty. Or, if I were to purchase a map from Naviextras, it should come with any and all licensing updates I think.
roy67ss offline

Postby jtrosky » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:42 pm

Is your 1210 the GM1210 or some other model (why type of car?)? I know the GM1210 model comes with licensed POIs. It also makes no sense that they would include the POI files if they didn't include the POI licenses though.

I suspect something happened during the original backup/restore that screwed up the licensing somehow. You'd think that the Naviextras support people could help you there though (I know you tried already though). I know Rosen would just send you to the NaviExtras people about licensing issues though. You're kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place support-wise (as you already know)!

I'm sure there is a way to "hack" the unit - I just don't know it off-hand. Let me look into that a little and see what I can figure out.
jtrosky offline

Postby roy67ss » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:28 am

Sorry, yes it is the GM1210 and with all the go around I had with the naviextras support you'd have thought they would have suggested something other than contacting the manufacturer. I have sent them another idea I had and I am still waiting for a response. I suggested maybe buying the premium poi, file thinking that they would include any licensing for that with the download. I don't know what else to do other than send it back under warranty before I do something that bricks the unit!
roy67ss offline

Postby jtrosky » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:07 am

I know we were having this conversation a long time ago, but I recently obtained a GM1210 unit and I have found out how to get access to the internal GPS files directly. If you are still around and still wanting to resolve this, let me know and I'll show you how you can access the internal GPS files directly (and can supply the correct license files, etc).

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk
jtrosky offline

Postby roy67ss » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:28 am

Hi,

I would sure like to know how to access the files. Should this be by PM or ??
roy67ss offline

Postby jtrosky » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:49 pm

No, I'll put the info on the forum in case anyone else with a Rosen 1210 can use the info. Basically, it's just a way to startup a WinCE-based file manager. From there, you can copy files to/from a USB thumbdrive. Let me put together a .zip file with what you need an some basic instructions. I'll take care of that shortly here and post a link to it.

With the GM1210 (unlike the previous GM1010 model, which I have - and actually prefer), the radio interface and the GPS interface both run in the same "space". So when I show you how to access the GPS files, you can also access all of the radio-related binaries and configuration files. My point is that you need to be careful and be aware of what you are doing so that you don't "break" any of the non-GPS functionality.

I'll be back with a .zip archive and some brief instructions shortly.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk
jtrosky offline

Next

Return to General Discussions about iGO core