A quick note about Primo 2 "versions"   

A quick note about Primo 2 "versions"

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Tue May 15, 2012 8:47 pm

There are, floating around on various other GPS-forum-type sites, a number of downloads that claim to be "Newer Versions" of Primo2. All start with 9.6.5 and have a variety of other numbers after that, and a variety of "Build Dates". Some are legitimate versions, and [color="#FF0000"]some are obvious fakes[/color] (it is not that hard to change version numbers/dates to show whatever somebody wants). A few I have seen even show some build number and date IN THE FUTURE by months. There is absolutely no way NNG would issue a release with a future date (unless it may be some kind of experimental internal build that would expire on a certain date). If anything, official releases lag behind the current calendar date by weeks or even several months. The ones that may be legitimate versions are often nothing special...just a build/date produced for a specific hardware manufacturer. Essentially the same as every other "9.6.5.x" build, but sometimes customized with other components (data.zip, etc) to run on specific hardware---such as limiting resolution choices, custom logos and splash screens, etc. As one who has tried every legitimate build available, I can tell you that, so far, there is NO DIFFERENCE IN OPERATION AT ALL between any given "9.6.5" build and any other "9.6.5" build. None at all. No new features. Nothing. Don't fall for the hype. If the build you have is already a "9.6.5" build...starting from October 2011 to the current date...there is NO LOGICAL REASON to upgrade or change anything. You are already current!
If this situation ever changes (which would likely be a build number such as "9.7.x.x"), you will find out about it here...including any benefits to upgrading. And it will be posted by me here:
:link:
But that's just my opinion..I could be wrong.
Y.T.
Primo2.4 PrimoAndroid TomTomAndroid
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby doodle1 » Sun May 20, 2012 10:19 am

Thank you. You mention '9.6.5" build...starting from October 2011'. My Primo is 9.6.2.209584 Oct 12 2011. Is your 9.6.5 a typo or were there two releases in Oct 2011?Also if your 9.6.5 is correct is that worth updating over my 9.6.2?
doodle1 offline

Postby doodle1 » Sun May 20, 2012 11:39 am

I can't open the link to your Dec 2011 primo download you have in another post. Is the link still active? Thanks
doodle1 offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Sun May 20, 2012 12:01 pm

doodle1 wrote: Is your 9.6.5 a typo or were there two releases in Oct 2011?Also if your 9.6.5 is correct is that worth updating over my 9.6.2?

"9.6.5" versions started to appear (or rumors of same) in late October through November 2011. They did not actually become 'available' until December 2011-January 2012. But somebody somewhere may have a 'legitimate' 9.6.5 build from before then.

doodle1 wrote:worth updating over my 9.6.2?

Your decision to make...my opinion, if everything works how you like, probably not.
There are some very minor improvements in 9.6.5 vs 9.6.2 regarding speed on some devices under some circumstances.
Y.T.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Sun May 20, 2012 12:02 pm

doodle1 wrote:another post. Is the link still active?

Link works. Don't know what you are talking about.
Click the Primo2 icon in my signature.
Y.T.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby nabi » Sun May 20, 2012 12:06 pm

One remark of little importance. Or some importance to some.
First, I am no Primo user and lacking the time recently, I haven't tested any of the "new" builds. I intend to, but when ???
Some builds do differ a bit. Voice recognition is removed and the .exe is compressed. This should make those particular builds - and only those - work or work better on low memory devices.
As said, I haven't tested.
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby doodle1 » Sun May 20, 2012 4:24 pm

the link comes up but it doesn't download?
doodle1 offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Sun May 20, 2012 4:38 pm

doodle1 wrote:the link comes up but it doesn't download?

I really don't know what link you are talking about---is it something you saw or saved from long ago? If so, it's dead. Never to be again. It's an ex link. And it's not 'resting'.
[color="#FF0000"]Click the Primo 2 icon in my signature.[/color]
Y.T.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby doodle1 » Sun May 20, 2012 9:34 pm

Thanks. I click on the Primo 2 icon, I click on Get and click on Primo_2OTtorrent.zip. I follow the instructions. Utorrent opens but the download sits on 0% with no health, no download speed, no estimated time or anything. Maybe it's just me
doodle1 offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Mon May 21, 2012 2:14 am

doodle1 wrote:Maybe it's just me

Yes, it is. Maybe your ISP (or something else?) is blocking torrents? At this moment (I just connected), I show 18 seeds and 1500+ peers.

This is assuming you clicked "Start" in the uTorrent menu bar.
As a test, I just downloaded the entire torrent (using uTorrent). After excluding myself as a seed. I had an average download speed of 2.4 MB/sec and it took a total of 8 minutes and 36 seconds.
Y.T.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby doodle1 » Mon May 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Thanks. It must be me as you say as I've tried again and it still sits on '0'. I'll leave you in peace now :-)
doodle1 offline

Postby doodle1 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:38 pm

As an update I deleted 9.6.2 and installed 9.6.5 and it loads, runs through the menu faster and the maps are smoother in motion
doodle1 offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Sat May 26, 2012 3:39 am

Good!
As I said, there were some improvements in the code related to speed on some systems.
Now somebody will probably post that it made no difference at all on their system.:lol:
Y.T.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about iGO core