Primo2 arrival time and low clearance file question   

Primo2 arrival time and low clearance file question

Postby crb247 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:40 am

Hello. Just a couple questions about Primo2. I started with the basic package and extra goodies found here (I did click thanks :thumbup: ) and thru trial and error have put together a fantastically usable system for in the Big Truck. I only have a few things i haven't quite figured out yet.

1 - The arrival time on the unit is always about an hour more than what current time and time remaining is showing. I tried a bunch of different sys.txt entries to no avail (even wiping the sys.txt file and letting the unit pick it). I'm using the diMkaWA P153 skin and the 211211 version of primo2.

2 - I DO have a non standard issue US low clearance file i believe came off a primo 1.2 based Generic Chinese unit. I cannot figure out how to get it working. It's in the speedcam folder and is labelled USALowClearance.txt and is the same format as the speedcam files. example of a line is
Code: Select all
which is the same as the other warning files
Code: Select all
 x,y,type,speed,dirtype,direction
only the last 3 inputs are blank. I created a sys.txt entry for it based on the format of the other warning files but can't get it to fire off a warning while simulating a route under the co-ordinates of one of these locations.

Generic Question - I have already determined that a lot of the Truck warning information for North America isn't easily available and about the only thing embedded in the map files themselves are truck restricted routes in towns and cities (better than nothing i guess). Has anyone ever seen a R3 compatible truck information overlay for Canada or the US? I DO have .fda files for the US which do work but a lot of information is missing and as far as i can determine none exist for Canada.

This is an absolutely amazing program! and now that i finally got the voice to quit telling me to "turn at the gas station" :crazy: and always speak street names it's even better (Had to edit out the info in the actual voice file.)

I'm sure i'm forgetting something but i have been messing with it for quite a while and figured i'd ask you guys.

Oh yeah.. i've had it on a couple of different Generic unit's and and currently running it on my 4.3" PcMiler GPS unit. It didn't take me long to wipe it after going without Primo2 for a couple days LOL!! I did not have to unlock the unit... just wiped the onboard flash and renamed the main folder AND .exe to "copilot" and it fires up from the embedded GPS start page... Boy was i shocked when that actually worked :o

Anyways. I used up my quota of smileys and questions for now and i have to head back out tomorrow... so if i don't post to any replies or if you ask for other info it's not because i'm ignoring the thread ... I'll check back later. Thx Great forum guys (and gals)!
crb247 offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:24 am

crb247 wrote:but can't get it to fire off a warning while simulating a route

Many 'warnings' (and I first admit that I know nothing about the specific file you are trying to use---whether it will work at all) will not trigger in Simulation Mode....only in real world with a satellite lock along a planned route.
crb247 wrote:The arrival time on the unit is always about an hour more than what current time and time remaining is showing.

That seems curious to me. Arrival Time should be dynamic..changing along the way due to expected traffic conditions, vehicle speed, etc.
Always more than Current Time, and should be approximately Current Time + Time Remaining.
But that's just my opinion..I could be wrong.
Y.T.
Primo2.4 PrimoAndroid TomTomAndroid
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby crb247 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:28 pm

...will not trigger in Simulation Mode....only in real world with a satellite lock along a planned route.

Thanks that explains a lot. I will just program in a set of coordinates for somewhere i know will be along one of my routes and see if anything happens during nav. I'll let you know if the file and sys.txt entry does work or not.

Yes the arrival time is dynamic but still off... I'll keep poking at it and see what i find and usually guesstimate my eta from distance remaining anyways.

Headed out to the truck. Thanks for the quick reply.
crb247 offline

Postby crb247 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:42 am

Just thought I'd post an update now that i'm back at the house.

-The Arrival time being an hour more than "current time+time remaining" seems to be an issue with the PCMiler hardware. I got ahold of the Generic Chinese unit my friend is using and it does show correctly after I loaded up my current compilation. It also appears that Primo2 seems to be heavily reliant on embedded road segment speed data in it's calculations... and there is a fair bit of it missing on the North American mapset and could be a factor in the unit showing the excessive travel time. (and also why I get different routing between the NT and TA/TT mapsets.)

-I still have not been able to get a low bridge warning to fire off from the low bridge file in "speedcam". I'm still playing with it though. If I can figure it out I will post it.

-I was able to get a custom loading.bmp working "woohoo" turns out it's much easier to do (and get the correct file size) with MS Paint then transfer the modified file to my Ubuntu box to load on the hardware.

Another question I have though.. Is there any way to edit the actual 3D vehicle icons. For example I am using the one called "Big Rig" but it's pinkish red. I just wanted to know if anyone has played around with changing the color of the body on it.

Thanks
crb247 offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:13 am

crb247 wrote:on embedded road segment speed data in it's calculations... and there is a fair bit of it missing on the North American mapset and could be a factor in the unit showing the excessive travel time. (and also why I get different routing between the NT and TA/TT mapsets.)

Yes, that will always be true depending on the route. If a particular segment is missing "MPH" data (and all mapsets including Europe are guilty of this on certain roads; both TA/TT and NT maps), the Time calculated will be off...just an estimate. Most major highways are covered, but secondary or residential, not so much.
crb247 wrote:Is there any way to edit the actual 3D vehicle icons.

Not easily, no. Before "3D", it was relatively easy..just BMP files to edit. But for the 3D vehicles, you would need the special modeling software used to create the vehicles, some time, and a bit of skill. I have not yet found anything to do it without totally destroying the model.
Y.T.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby pippolippi » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:43 pm

Yurbuh Tuggly wrote:Not easily, no. Before "3D", it was relatively easy..just BMP files to edit. But for the 3D vehicles,
you would need the special modeling software used to create the vehicles, some time, and a bit of skill. I have not yet found anything to do it without totally destroying the model.

So all the 3D cars available have been made by NNG or is there somebody that knows the "secret sauce"?
pippolippi offline

Postby Yurbuh Tuggly » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:10 pm

I would tend to doubt that NNG does the 3D modeling in-house. It's probably contracted out to somebody.
The difficulty comes in the lack of 'source files' for the resulting model. Without those, it would/will be very difficult to manipulate the model.
I'm sure there must be somebody somewhere that knows how to do it, but if so they are being very tight lipped about it since people have been requesting such things for a very long time.
Y.T.
Yurbuh Tuggly offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Black Wolf » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:13 pm

pippolippi wrote:So all the 3D cars available have been made by NNG or is there somebody that knows the "secret sauce"?

No :) , sure that all 3D cars didn't make NNG :) , most of them aren't made by NNG, than by people who are good in graphic design - guru like bb2005, tombog, etc. , more about making 3D cars, and tools you need, you have on link bellow, it's in russian, use google translate, if you want to learn about making 3D cars ;),

[Please Register or Login to download file]
I'm all what I'm not!

NO PM SUPPORT, All your questions, write to the FORUM!

USE BUTTON THANKS INSTEAD WRITING THANKS!!!
Black Wolf offline

User avatar Banned Users

Return to General Discussions about iGO core