Primo 2.4 random reset when traffic is active   

Primo 2.4 random reset when traffic is active

Postby sibyseb » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:24 pm

I have an OEM double DIN satnav unit with 6.2" screen with 800x400 resolution. It has 122 mb RAM and has the usual sd slot etc. I installed wince patch and has now internet access using a usb wifi adapter.I installed igo primo 2.4 and it works brilliantly. The map details and features are superior to my tomtom satnav. I have paid version of Desnav too on it but I like primo the best.
My problem is that whenever the live traffic is acivated and when there is internet access for the system, the wince part of the system randomly resets. It can happen within 5 minutes or an hour. Typically happens 2 - 4 times an hour. If I disable traffic in the software, there is no problem. If I disable wifi, again no problem. When traffic is active, the live service actually works until it reboots. (I live in UK and I have only TA UK map installed)
I tried different distributions of primo including an older version, happens with every distribution I tried.
If anybody can help with this, it will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Siby
sibyseb offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:01 pm

Another member was having random crashes with online traffic across two devices, so I would say it's a Primo problem.

http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?14834-Can-anyone-decipher-this-crash-log

http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?14043-Online-Traffic-causing-my-unit-to-reset

I don't think there is a solution at this time.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby sibyseb » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:02 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Fatboufun. The problems described especially in the first thread you mentioned is exactly like mine. Hope somebody comes up with a solution...
sibyseb offline

Postby Skezza » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:09 pm

Hi sibyseb,
I am the member who also experiences crashes with Online Traffic. Unfortunately, it's an iGo Primo issue I'm afraid and I can't see us being able to fix it. I've owned two different devices, both with support for 3G, spent a surprising amount of money in truth, purchasing the specific hardware 3G dongle for my new device, only to find that really, there seems to be no fix for this. I am now on a 3G/TMC enabled device, and when using TMC, it works perfectly, but when using 3G I have issues. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

From what I've deciphered, it's definitely a memory issue but affects both of my devices, one with a larger memory than the other. Originally, I was convinced that the issue happened when the number of traffic events rose to between 250 and 400. So long as the number was below 250, I was pretty sure that this issue would be avoided, however I've recently observed this issue just minutes after loading Primo and as you know, Primo takes time to fully download traffic details, so I'm now not so sure.

I imagine your crash logs look very similar to mine. I will experiment further with live traffic. I've heard that you can restrict the number of downloaded events to a specific number. That could potentially fix it but I'm not convinced. I will let you know.
Skezza offline

Postby sibyseb » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:36 pm

Thanks Skezza for the detailed reply. My problem was identical to yours.It is a shame considering how good Primo's mapping is and and the availability of several options including TTS voices. I don't think you can buy the primo for OEM systems either. As I needed live traffic, I purchased 'Desnav' software with traffic license for 1 year. It is functional, but not as good as primo.
sibyseb offline

Postby Skezza » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:50 pm

That's why I've started using TMC. Just hope they fix it.
Skezza offline

Postby sibyseb » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:04 am

That is a good point. But do you have any info on how to get TMC working on these oem double din units (wince 6 with wincepatch)?
Which tmc units are compatible and if we need driver etc? Thanks
sibyseb offline

Return to General Discussions about iGO core